Who is allowed to participate in the forums?

When I joined this website I was under the impression that it is a place for expats to ask questions and offer advice based on their experience.  This is what attracted me here as I have lived in a few countries and may have some helpful information to somebody somewhere.  I am no expert but it is possible.

But it seems as though some forums are patrolled by people who do not want any opinions that are not like their own.  This is all too common on political debate websites but I would consider it a poor idea on a website such as this since different views are more helpful to a greater variety of people.  No one person has all the answers.  But I have been online long enough to know that older and more popular members are always in charge.  A new member has little hope of changing the tone of any such website.  If the people in charge are hostile then it will be a hostile website.  If they are happy then it will be a happy website.

I am not allowed to participate in the USA forum.  Fair enough.  I lived in the United States as an expat for several years and might be able to answer some questions posed by other expats but I am not here to change the rules.  I understand how these things work.

What I would like to know from the moderators is how new members are to know in which forums they are allowed to participate.  Surely there is a better way than to post in a forum only to be greeted with open hostility by the ruling class.  This will likely drive people away.  I have to doubt that most people come to this website for hateful sarcasm and personal attacks.  If I am in error then please let me know sooner rather than later.

Are we only allowed to participate in the forums of the countries where we presently live?  I would also consider this a poor idea but if that is the case then so be it.  I have, however, participated in the Switzerland and South Africa forums without receiving any hostility, and I do not presently live in either country.

Are we only allowed to participate in the forums of our native countries?  This would be a mistake as natives and expats have different experiences.

I am not seeking to change the rules or make everybody behave in a civilised manner toward one another.  I am merely seeking clarification.

My apologies for my lack of brevity.

Hi Mia,

I am an American who has lived in several countries over the years. At the moment, I have only participated - or have only attempted to participate, in two categories on this site - the Philippines and Cambodia. I have not attempted to post in any other forums relating to other countries in which I have lived.

However, I would hope that the staff here would not prevent any member from posting in any particular forum. Being foreigners in foreign lands, we may wish to secure information on any other country.

Perhaps a moderator will step in here and clarify this?

By my knowledge there is not such a rule that you only can participate on the forum from the country where you are currently live or where you originally from.

If you think that you have useful information to share for members on different fora you are more then welcome.
Who said to you that you are not allowed to post on the USA forum?

If you experience hostility from other members you can report them and the team take further action .

I hope that this will encourage you to participate on every forum you like.

Hi MiaCulpa,

Primadonna said it all.
There are no such restrictions. You are allowed to post anywhere as long as the information is relevant to the destination and topic.

Regards
Armand
Expat.com Team

Everything has already been said

Hi all,

As Primadonna commented, you can share useful info in several countries or seek advice and/or information on various countries. We do not prevent anyone from doing so.
The website has been designed to help expats and enable them to share their experience around the world. A lot of expats have lived in several countries: they therefore have useful information to share on different countries and we encourage them to do so.

Hope this clarifies your concerns.

Best,

Julie

Julien wrote:

Everything has already been said

Hi Jul,  :)

In other words you are saying that the story is always old and the fool is always new.  :top:

MiaCulpa wrote:

I am not allowed to participate in the USA forum.

Haaa, ha, ha, Not allowed to participate in USA forum?  :D
Hey, there are persons who are not allowed to enter USA.  They are called persona non-grata.

Or maybe USA introduced a visa for posting in USA forums?  Imagine what the world will be like when USA introduces a visa for reading at USA forums! ....

Your complaint clearly shows you like to express thoughts in writing.
Please write more and complain less if you are to make your time, efforts and money successful.  :top:

Thank you all, or at least most of you, for the clarification.  A moderator repeatedly complained about my increasing post count.  Since the only way that I know of to prevent one's post count from increasing is to avoid participating I took this as a warning to participate less.  If the founder of this site disagrees, I shall take his word for it.  When in doubt, believe the person who began it all.

Who is allowed to participate in the forums?

Everybody is allowed to read, but only persons with above average IQ will receive an answer.
Now let's turn the page to something nice, idealistic, futuristic or at least, comic.  :D

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR