Retired But Still Working

My wife and I taught for enough years to draw a small retirement.  Our combined retirement is about $1300.  I still work as a consultant on a 2 week on 2 week off schedule.  We want to retire in Ecuador this summer.  The question is can I still leave the country to work my 2 week hitch and return back to Ecuador and keep my visa.  My wife would remain in the country.  My understanding is that I cannot be out of the country more than 90 days a year for the first 2 years.

mrhargi wrote:

My understanding is that I cannot be out of the country more than 90 days a year for the first 2 years.

That's my understanding as well -- in fact, I'm as certain of it as I am about any of the immigration rules here. So I don't see how you can keep up with a consulting gig that requires you to be out of the country six months per year, in toto.

Mrharg you can get advise here from any one but is it the right advise ???  Sarah is recommended as a facilitator and is one of the best [email protected] I am not sure I think she has recommendations in Gringo Tree to.  She comes with lots of recommendations.  You might as well get it from the Horses Mouth.
The glide people through the system and not the correct way the perfect way no mistakes.  They do it all the time daily.  I highly recommend her.  I know people living here that are living on a lot less and are happy but it does not mean that you and your wife will be it all depends what you expect or want to do in life or where you want to life.  And if you want to go back to the USA.  I have filed for Tax Receipts and every time I go out and spend any money that I pay any tax I get it back I sure like that its a benefit.  Also I have health insurance now I know Sarah office is push Health Ins $110. 00 a month but I only pay $73.00 a month and it is great and good and I love it and you can join it and it has been around a long time and proven.  the one they are endorcing it is to good to be true.  You can still join mine and can go to any hospital you want.  Mine is great hers has not been out as long.  Something to think about mine is Saluad mine is 80%  theirs is 100% but I always think that is to good to be true.  It sounds like a coopera deal get people to explain that.  Coopera is bankrupt.  Any way talk to Sara seek her help see what she says  I have heard no one not like her services which is great.  Good facilitators are hard to find they do paper work, find rentals they are unbelieveable.  Good luck ask lots of questions of this site and people

I don't think $1,300 for two people is enough. From what I read it has to be at least $8oo for one person. Don't know if this is enough for half way decent quality of life anyway

suefrankdahl wrote:

I don't think $1,300 for two people is enough. From what I read it has to be at least $8oo for one person. Don't know if this is enough for half way decent quality of life anyway

Sue: What the Ecuadorian government requires to let a retiree in on a pensionado visa is $800 for one person or $900 for two. While those are the minimum requirements for a visa, I agree with you that it would be mighty tough to get by on those amounts.

The $1300 is just to qualify for the visa.  I have substantial earnings for us to live on.  I am just worried about keeping the visa.

mrhargi wrote:

The $1300 is just to qualify for the visa.  I have substantial earnings for us to live on.  I am just worried about keeping the visa.

That's what I understood. Check with an attorney be be certain, but the rules seem to be pretty clear that you can't be gone 26 weeks a year (even if you're only gone Mon-Fri, that's still 130 days per year).

Perhaps you could rework your consulting contract to cut down on the days you need to be on-site and increase the amount of work you do remotely. I do consulting work (in marketing), and much of it is on-line.

I am a new visa holder and was reminded by the passport /immigration official as I left the country that I could only be out of the country for 90 days.  Very important!

docputter wrote:

I am a new visa holder and was reminded by the passport /immigration official as I left the country that I could only be out of the country for 90 days.  Very important!

To add to that, my understanding is that it is not just 90 days, but 90 days total for the year (and I think the year is any twelve-month period, not calendar). That's the rule for the first two years of a resident visa, I believe.

I think BobH is on the money.  It's 90 days each year for the first two years (and years are measured from the date you get your visa, ie 12 months).  Maybe there are other visas that you can apply for that will allow you to keep your consulting gig, but you really need professional advice. 

Mike

Yes it is 90 days or parts of a day total for the year and that is not 3 months.  Also, If you leave at 11:30 PM, it still counts as a day.  If you return at 1:00 AM, that is another day out of the country.