Hi everyone, welcome to Portugal

! IŽm Portuguese. . I live in Viseu but I have lived in Porto  and Coimbra .If You need any help whatsoever donŽt hesitate to contact me.I will help if I can.

:cheers:
Sandra

Hi Sandra Pereira,

Welcome on board :)

Please note that you can post an advert in the Language classes in Portugal section please :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Already did .
Thanks

:)

Hello! I am portuguese too...(well my parets and all my family) i was born in the US, and am almost dont with highschool...i am looking to go to university in portugal or spain. (Still undecided lol!) my portuguese in pretty good (not as good as my english) and my spanish is okay too.
Do you see a lot of englih or americans attending the universities?
Are there english teachers, that are fluent in english, but also it being their first language or jut learners of english?
Im very interested in getting into foreign language teaching i.e. English, portugues and spanish.
Can you explain to me how the whole process goes in aquiring a degree of ethier language? Obrigada :)

HI
Well first of all you need to apply to a University, and if you are interested in modern languages you must apply to a a modern languages and literature ex Portuguese / English corse. That will qualify you to teach both English and or Portuguese.  To be able to have a shot at entering a Portuese Uni, i think You need portuguese nationality, or get info about that. You will need to apply after you finish high school and in the proper legal timing we have for that ( if I am not mistaken around June or July each year.  If you do not want to get a degree, you can try getting a teaching certificate CELTA Tesol Trynity ( look it up). In many Universities, or Polytechnic Institutes the English teachers might or might not be native, but they  will be fluent and mainly use the English language during the lessons. The other subjects will be taught in Portuguese. There are foreigners attending Portuguese UniŽs especially in the ErasmusŽprograms. Nevertheless the average level of English among those degrees students in these type of courses is very good, so you would have no problem with that.
I hope I helped.
Cheers
Sandra

Thank you, that really helped! What Universities do you recomend...major wise...which do you think would have the appropriete courses for me? Ive done a lot of reserach but as you probably know the levels of education and system in general differs from that of The US schooling system so it was didficult for me to understand...
Do the Universities in PT only have 3rd cycle degree programs?

Our degrees ( Majors) which are usually known abroad as Bachelors degrees or undergraduate degrees are now under the Bolonha program, that was created to reduce the usual 5 year degree that any of our courses used to have.. At the present moment, our degrees take 3 years and not 5 as it happened in the past. Look up the U. E Bolongne or BolognaŽs  degree description. This means that you can get a degree in 3 years, there are some courses that still take 5 years,i.e: Architecture , Dentist, Doctors, but that also depends on the University being  a State Uni or  a private one. After those 3 years, if you decide to continue your studies you can do a Post graduation ( 1 year) and a Masters (2 years) and after that u have the DoctorŽs degree and the post DoctorŽs degree. Lisbon, Porto and Coimbra   are some of the best in the language department. Coimbra is the oldest Uni in Portugal, as a secular institution the education there is very good and highly recognized around the world, same with Some in Lisbon and Porto. In Coimbra you have FLUC( Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Coimbra , in Porto FLUP ( Faculda de Letras da Universidade do Porto and in Lisbon the same logic. You can also take education courses in Institutos Politécnicos, which are supposed to have a different and more practical type of educational aims. Examples, Escola Superior de Educação ( they exist throughout the country).  In any of these 3 cities you will find one or the other type of Superior education. Be aware that in Portugal the final high school average grade is crucial to get a place in any of the public Unis or Institutes. DonŽt forget to inform yourself about that also. This is general info as you can imagine, and you need to know way more than this, but I think at least now you can have an idea on how EuropeŽs Superior Education Sistem Works. Now you need the details, legal issues, the  average highs school  marks, syllabus,  etc will depend on each school. Hope it helped
Cheers
Sandra

I was looking a lot into schools in lisboa...they seem like really good schools!
What is the grade average accepted there? Mine is and always has been above passing, so i dont think that would cause a problem.
Is there any type of tests you take to get accepted?
We have the SATs which i am not sure, if they are accepted there...
There ate studies in English available, correct?
Thx :)

You will have, like i previously said, to get informed about the specific details, in the university of your choosing . In Lisbon you have great variety of good Unis, so if I were you I would start contacting them for specific courses for your specific "problem". a quick Google search will help you find Humanities Universities in Lisbon, i.e.FLUL. Wish you luck

Cheers

We're looking into moving to Portugal and want avenues for collecting much needed
information regarding

weather
cost of living
health care
and access to culture/services

My twin and I have lived in Costa Rica for six years and learned a lot but taking a tour
that focused on the topics listed above. We did not sightsee but rather collecting
information while getting a firsthand experience. It was extremely helpful.

Our needs are fairly simply. We want water, nice weather, access to health care
and services (stores, assistance when needed). We loved C.R. but hated the
earthquakes, the driving is insane and access to everyday US type services and
goods were very limited short of being in the capital city).

Any suggestions on coastal towns is also appreciated. Fortunately, although not
rich, money doesn't appear to be a concern. Making a solid, choice of location is.
I don't pick up languages very well so the more English - the better.

Any tips for us ?

hello Sandra im Olga from US I would like to visit Portugal soon can u tell me something about....thanks I needs a lot of help :}

Hi Sandra this is Rakesh Khadka living Belgium .i want to move form here to portugal  . but I don't have any idea  about surching job in Portugal .  Could you help me please? If you want please let me information in my email [email protected]   thanks very much