School terms 2014...

Hi
we are moving to Malta in June and was just wondering if anyone knows the approx dates of when school finishes and re starts this year.
Thanks so much
Catherine  :)

Hi Catherine,

Schools throughout June will be on half days, finishing at 11:30/12:00. They will finish the last week day in June but most kids will leave after exams (3rd week of June.) School starts again the last week of September for most, just Kinder (3-5) and year 1 will start first week of October.

By the time you get here, apply for residency and get appointment at Education department, I expect it will be too late to start in June and will start the new school year in September/October.

Caroline

not totaly related with topic but,

what do children do after school ends? is there any kind of activities or is it just beaches?

Hi Duxx,

Summer schools are highly adviseble. Skola Sajf is the government one for children going into year 4 and above and is 17 euro for 8 weeks from 9-12, 5 days a week. Club 3-16 (through the F.E.S.) do a summer school if there is one in your catchment area. This will be the cheapest of the remaining options. It is also flexable with hours and 'sells' different packages if childcare for working is needed. Opening hours are 07:15-05:30 all summer (except Santa Maria week (all summer schools close then).) It is around 1.20 per hour/child.
Some churches will do a summer school (these can be cheap.) Otherwie, nearer the time, you will be flooded with leaflets advertising private summer schools. Costs are around 300+ per child for 7 weeks.

Otherwise it's the beach, staying in until the evening, when you can then venture out to places!

Caroline

Thanks so much Caroline, that is a great help with trying to organise our dates for travel. Its going to be a hard move for her at this stage of her schooling as she will be 15. Just hoping for a smooth transition.
Catherine

catherineshopper wrote:

Its going to be a hard move for her at this stage of her schooling as she will be 15. Just hoping for a smooth transition.
Catherine

Wow!! I would imagine it is going to be difficult, not just education wise either.
But difficult as it may be, perhaps the best experience for her.

Thanks Redmik.....
I am hoping the experience and change in lifestyle and culture and extra travel will far outweigh it. She will struggle, as she is only just passing through her schooling here and I know it is a little more advanced there. But she is so excited and ready for the challenge. She really wants to learn the language too. I went to school there until I was 11 years old and I know that when I came back  to Australia the curriculum was so much easier, which over the years makes u a little lazy with regards to study etc...shorter school days and not very much homework!!
I am sure she will adjust and make a few friends, as she is quite sociable. Well.... we will soon find out....
thanks
Catherine

HI
Do know how long roughly it takes to register at a school and then for the kiddies to start
thanks

It depends on what type of school.. For Public school, you register and start within a day or two...

thank you!

Hi Catherine,

Caroline is right, try to get your e-Residence card sorted as soon as you get here and meanwhile, register your kids to school. I did not have my e-Residence when I register my son at school, but they will need it after you get it. I reckon that in the area you're moving in, you shouldn't have any problems. But anyway, you've got my contacts and anytime you need anything, feel free to give me a buzz when you get here.

Best of luck ;)
Antonio