Leave settlement

Hi

I am working in Bahrain for the last two years, but have just been offered a job in Doha, so reviewing my options. Can anyone tell me what I'm entitled to if I leave, in relation to indemnity? I have two full years completed, and have taken no leave so far this year.  Their is nothing in my contract regarding leave settlement but I believe this is not an issue as its compulsary, is this correct? For obvious reasons I dont want to ask my employer, I have read up on Bahrain labour law, but its very long winded and confusing, help!!!!

You only get your indemnity if you have worked for more than 3 years in Bahrain according to the law. Your employer may ask you to pay your relocation fees (if any) back, but this should be detailed in your contract. Prepare to give enough notice to your employer and make sure they don't forget to cancel your visa so if you ever decide to come back to the country it won't cause any confusion.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, as I said, I did read the law but its confusing, under the 1976 law you would be right but I think the law changed in 2012 where you are entitled to a percentage of the settlement before three years, that's really my question, since I've completed two years I don't owe anything to my employer for resettlement etc.

As far as I know, for employment period upto 3 yrs you are entitled for 15days salary as indemnity at the end of your contract and if its more than 3 yrs then you are entitled for 30days salary. For ex: If your contract is of 2yrs duration then you get 15 days salary as indemnity and if in case you renew your contract and work for another term you get 30days salary.  Not sure whether everyone follows it

I think you are only entitled for that after you have completed your 3 years in Bahrain, which means at the end of your third year, you will be allowed 45 days of indemnity.

Hi
Thanks for the reply, and yes that confirms what I read as the law changed in 2012, and even if you leave before three years you are entitled to 15 days for every year up to then.  What really does get my goat is all employers, in Bahrain will not tell you in a staff handbook etc. what the entitlement are, its like they hope when you leave you wont look for it and they wont have to pay!!