Drivers license

Do you know someone that can give me an official, sworn translation of my American drivers license?  I live 300 miles North of Rio on the beach.

The only thing you can do is Google "Tradutor Juramentado + name of your city / or largest nearby city" to see what comes back. The translation must be done by a notarized translator to be legal.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Thank you.

Just so you know, foreigners who hold valid driver's licenses are only permitted do use them here for a maximum of 180 days. After that one is required to apply for and obtain a Brazilian Carteira Nacional de Hablitação - CNH. This involves enrolling in an approved Driving School, hours of theory and practical instruction, now a specified number of hours in a simulator (still extremely hard to find in Brazil), plus medical, vision and psychological examinations.

wjwoodward wrote:

Just so you know, foreigners who hold valid driver's licenses are only permitted do use them here for a maximum of 180 days. After that one is required to apply for and obtain a Brazilian Carteira Nacional de Hablitação - CNH. This involves enrolling in an approved Driving School, hours of theory and practical instruction, now a specified number of hours in a simulator (still extremely hard to find in Brazil), plus medical, vision and psychological examinations.

According to DETRAN, if you leave the country and receive an exit stamp, and re-enter your 180 days starts over again. Only useful if you are close to a border or intend on leaving.

Exactly Matt, I guess that someone could actually be characterized as a "perpetual tourist" as far as their drivers license is concerned by making a border run every six months. LOL

I guess if a lot of us gringos were doing that, just like we were taking advantage of the 180 day stay limit back in the days when visa stays were calculated on a "calendar" year they'll probably close this loophole too. Those were the good old days when if you timed it right you could actually be in Brazil for one year at a stretch by coming in the beginning of July, when the new year rolled around you got the new 180 days and could stay until June. When they caught on to that they changed over to the "rolling" year system that's used now.

I got an extention on the 180 days driving by the federal police for 90 days.  I am waiting on my resident visa and when it comes I will take it to Rio.  Dafra needs my old license, my translated drivers license, my cpf  and proof of residence.  They also need my visa,sincre,protocolo, and copies of every thing and originals.  They also need $107.72.  This money is paid at banko Bradesco code2062.  I take all off my papers to rua president vargas 2nf floor #817 and they will issue me a Brazilian license. The telephone number for this process is 212332-0214.  This is Dafra's number in Rio.  They will check me mentally and physically..