New member introduction

Recently moved from Nicaragua to the US and thinking of returning!

Hi JWolak,

Please note that your post is now on the Nicaragua forum for better visibilty.

Can you please give us more details regarding your post?

How can we help you?

Have a nice day :)

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Hi, I'm Suz, and I'm 61. I'm a nurse, and my son and his wife and their new baby live in Managua. I have realized that even with social security, there is no way that I can afford to retire in the USA.  My son wants me to move to Nicaragua, and says I can live well on my prospective SS earnings at 62 of $1200/month.  I have no savings. 

Can I really do that? I am so wanting to move to be near him and his family that it  is like a constant pain. But I have pets that would also have to be moved. I looked into that, doesn't sound like a big deal to move them..Are there jobs available for a non-Spanish speaking nurse to take care of some ex-pats or something like that? I would probably need to work. Is there a community of ex-pats in Managua? Do they have a website?

And advice would be so appreciated. My email addy is [email protected].  Thanks.

Suzanne

so my girlfriend and I are planning on moving to Nicaragua within the next year
does anybody have any suggestions?

Hello from one burned out nurse to another. I am 61 and also planning to move/retire to Nica within the next 3 years. Just waiting to get a bit more on my SS. My best advice is join the Expats of Granada board on Facebook.  It was difficult for me to get in, I had to have someone contact the moderator and request I be included as they get a lot of spam and wouldn't accept me when I tried to join.  Also sign up for Nica Nuggets and read everything Darrell has posted about moving. He has a couple of really great websites. San Juan del Sur and Granada have the largest expat numbers, I don't know anything about SJDS but Granada is wonderful and 30 min away from a world class hospital. If you want to send me your email address, I can send you the link to Nica Nuggets if you haven't already found it.

Gail, are you still in nursing? I am and hate almost every minute of it. Totally burned out. But can't afford to retire in the US. My son and his family of 4 live very nicely in a nice middle class house on a safe street in Managua and their expenses are $600 a month - mind you, they don't pay rent, but that is usually about $300-400 or less.   Suzanne