English Newbie in Xiaoshan, Hangzhou

Hi
I've just moved from the UK to Xiaoshan, Hangzhou. I've come here to teach english with Disney English.
I'm a country girl at heart so all these bright lights, smog and big buildings are a little overwhelming to be honest. I'm feeling pretty lonely so would like to make friends etc, so I wont notice that I'm still single haha

I've just sorted out an apartment and maybe looking for another person to share with as its a 2 bed and I'm also trying to find out where I can get a pet from. So any help, hellos or advice would be great.

Hope to hear from someone soon :-)

Hi Quickh00,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I suggest you to post an advert in the section flat share in Hangzhou which might surely help.

You can also post an advert in the section Hangzhou pets classifieds if you want to buy a pet.

I am sure the Expat.com members living in Hangzhou will get in touch with you very soon.

Have a nice day,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Hey country bumkin, Cornish guy still in the UK, like you will be eloping to China this year. I take it you are in the east of china, Disney English? Now that is something that would be fun to do. How is life over there?

Great to find someone from UK!
I've just moved back from London because of my new job in Binjiang, Hangzhou. Having lived and worked in London for 3 years, I'm seriously nostalgic about London and missing all my friends in the UK. And stilton cheese!

It would be good to meet some new friends here, especially new friends from UK!

Cheers.

Jess

Hi thanks for the post. I would love to meet up sometime.

Don't worry I've gotten through the hard part of cheese and chocolate withdrawal, there is a light at the end of the tunnel :-)

drew1967 wrote:

Hey country bumkin, Cornish guy still in the UK, like you will be eloping to China this year. I take it you are in the east of china, Disney English? Now that is something that would be fun to do. How is life over there?

Yes I'm living just west of Shanghai. So we get the cold winters of the north and the hot summers of the south. Kinda UK weather but more extremes :-)

ha ha groovy. i'm chinese btw, but love 'british cuisine'. i'm based in alibaba campus, binjiang. haven't had a proper walk around my area, and the buildings here are quite spread out. feel free to get in touch via email so that we can exchange phone numbers from there: [email protected]. cheers.

jess and cheese: you based@alibaba in binjiang as well?

Hi Quickh00,

58.com (Thanks google, open that in chrome then translate into Eng)  will be the best option for you to find a share mate and pet LOL.

catcxkiss: yup! you too?

Hi,

I'm moving from the UK to Xiaoshan in June to teach with English First.

How have you been finding it all?

Feel free to meet up when I'm over there, it's all going to be very new!!

All the best
Emma

Hi Emma:
I am local and if you need help, you can reply me back.

Hi Katherine,

That'd be great! There will be few other foreign teachers when I arrive but I would definitely like to make friends with the locals.

Do you enjoy living in Xiaoshan?

Good luck with your move. Remember to pack lots of deodrant and dry sauce mixes if you like to cook.

Hangzhou has a small expat community and its not as western friendly as some places. You'll find lots of people who don't speak any form of English and won't be very helpful. But there are thankfully a handful of really lovely locals that will try their best every now and then, and those are the moments to remember.

When you arrive I will have already moved to Guangzhou but there's still lots of teacher types to meet. Check out hangzhouexpat.com as it has lots of events to check out to meet people. Just ignore all the idiots being synical on it.

Yeap, the weather, the culture, the food, the people, well, almost everything is good here. I felt quite happy when I live here since I can enjoy  my work and my life. Or if you like, It is a good place for balancing your life. :)  Plus, food price here is not very expensive. LOL

Better late than never...

I have found  myself on this website again. (Naturally fogetting I had signed up a very long time ago. I'm not too good wih the t'ínternet and somehow missed these responses!)

Thankyou for the replies! It's cool how welcoming people are/were!

So, I've been in Xiaoshan for 4 months now. All is great but I have found myself needing a bit more. Working at EF with a great bunch of people but the bunch is pretty small so I'm looking to branch out and make some new friends. (My Chinese is poor but I'm improving, with Youku's help!)

Whenever I go a Hangzhou it seems like there a million ex-pat type like me people. It feels a bit like home when I'm there, which sometimes you need.

If there is anyone around who fancies a drink or socialness I'm in...

All the best. Em

Hi Em, I live in keqiao near to you. feel free ii contact me. thanks  be happy

mail your no. on *** I will call you to request for a drink with me at your cinvience.thanks

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : please do not post your contact details on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey.

actually back in the UK now.

have a good one.

Hi there,
Are you still in this town ?
Looking for someone to chat to , I came for business, but it's so lonely later in the evening. No one to talk to or go for dinner with. I'm here for a week only.

Regards,
Nikiwe
From Kenya

Hi
I land Sunday evening, would you like to get together Monday evening?

Yes,
Find me on WeChat - xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct