New Rule for Student Visas

Effective 01/01/2014, foreigners holding Visit Pass (Social) who wish to study in Malaysia cannot convert their pass to a Student Pass to remain in Malaysia. Following this the Journey Performed Visa will no longer be issued.

Foreign students must remain in their country of origin during the processing of their Student Pass application. For nationals who require a visa to enter Malaysia, they must apply for the Visa with Reference when they have got the approval of their Student's Pass.

Hello Gravitas,

Thank you a lot for sharing this useful information with us.  :top:

Priscilla
Expat.com team

You are welcome Priscilla - There are a lot of students who come to Malaysia to study, so they need to be aware that they will be sent home again, to await clearance to study from their chosen university, etc., so coming earlier will waste their hard earned money.  This is just another example of the tightening of immigration rules in Malaysia.

hi

May I know that the country of origin should be the country u hold its passport or it can be any country that has Malaysian embassy??

Regards

Same rules as before. You can apply for a student visa from any location where you are residing. Immigration Dept. in Malaysia will guide the process via a convenient embassy or representative. The new rule is that a person cannot arrive in Malaysia and expect their social visit pass or visa to be converted to a student pass from 1st January this year. Country of origin is not necessarily the same as Home country. The word origin is used more in the sense of the air travel perspective of origin / destination.

ohhhh i c... alright then... thank u for the information.. appreciate it

I got offer letter from Unisza university. the malaysian empassy told me you must have approval letter from the university and you will get student visa