Moving to Riga - Want to meet musicians, writers and photographers

Hi, my wife was given a very nice promotion by her international employer headquartered in Boston USA and we will be relocating to Riga in March 2014 for a few years.  I get to retire from my career as a lawyer and will have all sorts of free time for the things I love, such as music, writing and photography.  I am a fairly good guitar player (rock, country, folk, blues, etc.) and want to meet other amateur musicians in Riga. In the US, many small clubs have "Open Mic" nights when anyone can sign up to perform a short 20 minute set.  Does anyone know of any clubs in Riga that do this?  I'd also like to meet any local photographers and/or join a photographers' club.  Finally, does anyone know of any writers' groups or clubs?  We're really excited about living in Riga -- We visited in October to find a place to live (found a great flat on Kungu Iela) and although the weather was already turning bleak, we had a great time.  I imagine the city is spectacular during the spring and summer.  Thanks in advance if you have any helpful information. 
Cheers, Henry

Hi Henry,

I believe some places have "open-mic" typ]e nights, but they might be heavily Latvian influenced from a folk music point of view - one place to ask might be a bar in the old town called "Ala" - it's run/managed by an Australian Latvian and they get pretty good reviews online in terms of atmosphere and food.

We have a Blues club in RIga, but alas, I've not been yet so I can't help there.

There are plenty of photo opportunities around the city in all seasons, and I've been here since last June (from Scotland).

I know one or two local musicians who do experimental stuff - but i believe there are lots of musicians around the city in all different styles.

This year there is a huge amount going on too, due to the European Capital of Culture stuff. Definitely worth checking out.

Good luck with the move!

Thanks, G. I appreciate the info. Moving in early March. Got a nice place on Kungu Iela. I'll check out the clubs. Yes, plenty of photo ops in Riga. I was in town for 5 days in October and although mostly damp and cloudy, the Old Town and surrounding areas made for great long walks. I imagine the spring and summer crowds make things a little crazy, but all the better for a photographer, right? Almost moved to Aberdeen instead of Riga... Scotland is great and Scots are even better. Like the Aussies--- never a dull moment! Cheers and thanks again.
Henry

Kungu (Lord) iela is right in the centre of town too - lovely spot.

Ala is on Peldu iela (right near Kungu) they have a website too - http://www.folkklubs.lv/ - if the forum blocks it, you can find it by Googling for "Folkklubs Ala Pagrabs"

The blues club is on Dzirnavu iela - a little further to the North East - but still very much in the centre. Just not the old town. "Bites Bluza Klubs" is worth a Google search.

I follow a blog - "Riga City Photos" - http://www.photoriga.com/ - he posts some lovely shots most days.

I also write a blog called "Life In Riga" aimed at ex-pats and those wishing to move - trying to cover aspects like getting a residents permit, and surviving your first trip tot he supermarket! - http://lifeinriga.com/ - google "life in riga" for that one :)

Cheers!

Thanks, I'll check out your blog. I've been to the Central Markets---what a trip! The towers of shredded cabbage and tubs of butter blew me away. Our place on Kungu Iela is just a 5 minute walk away, so I expect to spend many a morning perusing the smoked fish and pickled herring! On another subject altogether, my wife and I are interested in finding a tutor who gives private Latvian language lessons. If you know someone who won't go crazy trying to teach two "50-somethings" how to mangle a language, we'd be interested in looking into it. Thanks again. Cheers, Henry

Ah, I'm also on the hunt for lessons - currently working with a couple of other guys to find a suitable solution - when I know more, I'll try and let you know.

Thanks, I'll do the same.
H

I am still in the hopes that there will be free latvian lessons for expats in Riga, like their are for Russian speakers. Who knows? Still trying to gather info on that subject...

Meanwhile, welcome to this lovely country and town Hench51 :)

Gus - I know a guy who took the free lessons offered by the government, and the teacher couldn't speak English - so he said it was a total waste of time.

Damn, thanks for warning me! It's a pity that such opportunity is a waste...