Anchorage in Panama

Hello all,

I had looked into Boca Chica and Bocas del Toro for moorage. I had decided to stay on the Pacific side and recently have noticed a lot of activity in Las Tablas. When I was there, I never made it that far North. Can anyone shed some light on amenities? I have a 43' sailboat if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance,
Captain Steve

Only possible place would be Port Mensabe, next to Playa Uverito just east of Las Tablas. My husband tells me there's a 2-masted boat there now, maybe 60' or more. Or you might have better luck in Pedasi, a little to the south.

Hi Steve,
My wife and I sailed from San Francisco down the west coast stopping in every country in Central America.We had a 42 foot Tayana and lived aboard for 6 years, ( cruising 3 years). Although we did this in 2001 through 2004 if you have any questions on our experience feel free to ask.
We went through the canal and stopped in countries on the Caribbean side before ending our cruise in Florida.
Our favorite country was Panama. We are heading back in February for our third visit and re-confirm that is where we want to retire to.

Cheers,
John & Susan
former owners of Compania S/V

Hello John and Susan,

Are you folks sailing down? I need to wait out some weather here prior to heading South. I will be stopping in the Bay area to visit my kids on the way and then family in Long Beach, Most likely around the end of May.

Captain Steve

Hi Steve,
No...although if we could we sure would.
Feel free to email us. We could meet when you get to Long Beach.

[email protected]

fair winds and following seas!

I will surely do that. When I get underway, you can track the voyage via AIS. Shipfinder.com will show my location. All you need is the vessel name. "Loch Fyne" There are 2 of us on AIS. One is a passenger ferry in Scotland and the other is me.

Hope to meet up with you,

Captain Steve

Hi John and Susan,

I will turn on my AIS for 24 hrs if you like to test out the shipfinder or AIS traffic. I keep it off during moorage in order to not clutter up other screens.

Captain Steve

Ah...you are in the Portland area!
We moved down to Long Beach from there in August 2012. ( Job promotion)
Are you on a mooring or a slip?
What kind of boat do you have?

Cheers,
John

CaptainSteve wrote:

Hello all,

I had looked into Boca Chica and Bocas del Toro for moorage. I had decided to stay on the Pacific side and recently have noticed a lot of activity in Las Tablas. When I was there, I never made it that far North. Can anyone shed some light on amenities? I have a 43' sailboat if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance,
Captain Steve

Hi Steve,
How about http://www.shelterbaymarina.com/ on the Caribbean side?
It's opposite the city of Colon in Limon Bay?

Hi John,

Thank you for the possible moorage. We went to Shelter Bay as one of our stops. A very nice marina indeed. The drawback to us was the distance to get to a store of variety and the check point on base. The ruts in the road we can deal with. We had lunch at the café dockside and really enjoyed the view. The Gato solos and the howling monkeys were a hoot. San Larenzo was a place that left me with fond memories. I learned a lot from the driver we had.

Again, thank you,

Captain Steve

CaptainSteve wrote:

Hi John,

Thank you for the possible moorage. We went to Shelter Bay as one of our stops. A very nice marina indeed. The drawback to us was the distance to get to a store of variety and the check point on base. The ruts in the road we can deal with. We had lunch at the café dockside and really enjoyed the view. The Gato solos and the howling monkeys were a hoot. San Larenzo was a place that left me with fond memories. I learned a lot from the driver we had.

Again, thank you,

Captain Steve

Hello Steve,  :)
And when are you going to grace the island of St. Lucia with your presence and anchorage?

Good day sir,

St. Lucia is a tad off the grid for me at this time, but it looks like a wonderful trip. I would guess around 2015 by boat or sooner if I were to fly. Currently my goal is to establish myself in Panama.

Captain Steve

We are currently in a slip. I have a Hans Christian 43T cutter with full keel and a bow thruster. I love this boat! It practically sails itself. I'm getting a new main for it (7 weeks) and re-building the engine. I'll have it ready by the time we head out. YEAH!!!

Captain Steve