Seeking wise surabaya expat knowledge

Hello my name is James.  I'm a 27 year old American. I've just arrived in Surabaya to get a TEFL certificate. I'm looking to get into the expat circle. Of course there are lots of differences from the USA and lots of information I'm missing to live here comfortably.  I want to buy someone a meal or coffee in exchange for some need-to-know info about life in Surabaya for a white person.

Suncream.
If you're white, you'll need suncream.
I don't believe white people get any special diseases or need special food but you'll need suncream.

PS. If you don't use suncream you won't be white any more so you can just ask about things expats need.

Hey James,

Welcome to Surabaya. Well first of all get yourself a scooter or at least bike since public transportation is awful and you can't just keep takeing taxi , is not cheap. If you wanna get to know other foreigners west part of the city would be the place because most live there.
Places to hang out and meet them ? Colors Pub, Ice club, Suthos ( kind of out doors mall or something ) , Matchbox, etc.. You can also get to know people in the cafes in Mall's, like Super  Mall mostly. Don't be shy to say hello to other people , everyone is friendly here and try be respectful to local people here especially girls, because we often misunderstand their attentions ( Not every girl here wants to marry " white " guy  or sleep with them )

Alright, alright, lets give the new guy a break. Though I giggled a bit about suncream being the answer. Didn't see that coming.
Anyway, welcome James. Surabaya is not that hard to adjust for foreign people (according to my foreigner friends too). The only thing most of my foreigner acquaintances find hard to adjust is the local food. Most of it are spicy, and the Surabaya traditional food mostly has an ingredient called 'petis', which, trust me, I don't think will suit your tongue. But I welcome you to challenge yourself.
Just like Mr (or Mrs?) Albanian wrote, most of the expats live in the west part of the city. There's a pub in Darmo called Lido, which is a more low-key place to hangout for expats, and it's connected to a restaurant too.
It's a good idea to make friends as much as you can here whether with fellow expats or locals, so that you can ask about prices and interesting go-to places. Here's my recommendation for you, you HAVE to visit House of Sampoerna, and you'll thank me later.
Hope my answers are useful. Have a good time in Surabaya!

mas fred wrote:

PS. If you don't use suncream you won't be white any more so you can just ask about things expats need.

But don't be surprise if whitening cream is more easier to find everywhere at nearest shops than suncream cos suncream is one of expat needs - regarding to the cashier :D

hahahaahahaha :)

Hi there James, what's up? I'm John from the Philippines and i just wanna say welcome to surabaya bro! you will definitely love it here. i came here last year around july and what can i say about surabaya, its pretty awesome bro. the people are great they are very friendly i made a lot of friends here. about the foods i enjoyed it actually spicy or not i'll eat it.hehe i just had a few problem memorizing directions going to some places thats why i get lost a lot of times because some taxi drivers dont understand english. by the way dont worry about the heat if your white as long your used to it there ain't gonna be a problem im also white but not as white as the Americans so far i never had any problem with the heat im used to it. =)

This are the places i've been to you might wanna check it out.
PTC/ supermall -> i just live in waterplace its just 5 mins away from my place
ciputra mall - > you might wanna check the cinema in there bro its pretty cool
loop -> the foods are perfect
m1 superclub -> if your into partying at night opens at 10pm
safari zoo -> if you like animals like me you should check this place
eco park -> nice place for tour i guess.
bandar restaurant -> lots of nice foods in here
sutos -> everything is in here actually bars, restaurant, cinema etc etc.

i haven't toured the whole city yet but i'm looking forward to maybe next time. well i hope you enjoy your stay in surabaya like i did bro. goodluck!