Did my solicitor fail to do his job?

Hi there,
This question relates to Scottish Law when buying property.
Long story short I am going around in circles, everyone, including the Law Society says the following is a grey area:

I bought a home with no-one over looking the back-a main reason for buying it. Turns out there is planning permission for nearly 200 houses to go in the land.  The planning request went in 5 years ago and again 6 months before I purchased.

Surely my thousands to the solicitor would include them searching for planning requests in the area impacting my property?

I know there are searches for mining, planning on the house itself.  Surely there should be for surrounding land, neighbouring land so to speak?

I am getting conflicting information.

The owner has lied as they didn't tell us and that is a different story.  For now I would really appreciate knowing did the solicitor fail his job?

Thanks so much for answers/advice I am at a loss....  I spoke to another solicitor in Scotland however their code of conduct means they don't talk "negatively" about other solicitors....

Well, I have had a similar experience with my solicitor, and I have heard several similar stories from others, one only today actually. Apparently there is nothing you can do, especially in my case as the solicitor in question has moved back to Ireland.
Hopefully you will find some way of getting compensation or so, unfortunately I have no tip for you. I you find one please share.

I work in property and would say you are in a difficult area. The solicitor sold you that property NOT the land at the back. it would be unreasonable to expect them to do searches for all the land around the property unless you specifically asked for the reports (and paid for them). Planning permissions and applications are searchable on the councils databases on their websites, they may say you could have checked this for yourself?

Good luck- you will need it!! I just tried to take up a case with my solicitor regarding their failings and in the end it cost me £3500 and then I gave up!! I didn't even get an outcome before it became too expensive.