Mauritius Citizenship

Hi Friends,
Can any one please provide me information , procedures including time taken in getting Mauritius citizenship?

Hello,

is your father or mother mauritian ?

Have you been living on the island for a while ?

Hi,

To make it easier, I will summarize the few basic points regarding Mauritian citizenship.
As you are from India and an Indian national (I presume) and you are part of the Commonwealth group of countries, the rules are as follows:

To be eligible, you must have lived in Mauritius for 5 years.

If you are a spouse of a Mauritian national, you must have lived  with your spouse under the same conjugal roof in Mauritius for an aggregate period of 4 years to be able to apply for citizenship.

INVESTOR NATURALIZATION
You are eligible for citizenship if you have invested not less than $500,000 in Mauritius and have resided here for a continuous period of not less than 2 years.

Having said that, being granted citizenship can be an easier and at the same time a much more complicated matter.
The Prime Minister's Office is responsible for the processing of all applications and for dealing with all matters relating to Mauritian Citizenship. In this regard, the Prime Minister always has the final word. That's why, in the case of Mauritius, you do not 'get' citizenship, you are granted.
E.g, A foreign Commonwealth citizen may be granted citizenship despite having lived here for a shorter period under special circumstances.
In other cases, an applicant may not be granted citizenship or he/she will have to wait much longer even if he/she adheres to the above criteria.

It is to be noted that other parameters come into play when dealing with citizenship issues.
Being a high-skilled professional with years of experience in a Fortune-500 company or a multi-billion($) investor will definitely help to speed up the paperwork and influence the decision makers in your favor.

Here is the link where you will find more detailed information.
http://pmo.gov.mu/English/dha/Mandate/P … NSHIP.aspx

Dear Kaviraj,
Thanks for all the info provided by you.
I have passed the stage of initial submission of application along with all desired documents and relevant fees etc.

My wife is Mauritian citizen, I married in year 2002, since then I have stayed continuously in Mauritius.I applied for citizenship in 2011. Since then me and my wife were called to make statements at immigration office, Police verification at our house also last year, every few months we are asked to submit some or other documents. have submitted morality certificate twice. it has taken more than 26 months. But no confirmation or denial also. Need to know what is happening??????

Does it takes that long?????
Visited PM office a number of times but no one replies except a standard reply "we will let you know"
Pl advise

Dear Julien<
Thanks for your reply.
Here are basic facts of my case.
I have passed the stage of initial submission of application along with all desired documents and relevant fees etc.

My wife is Mauritian citizen, I married in year 2002, since then I have stayed continuously in Mauritius.I applied for citizenship in 2011. Since then me and my wife were called to make statements at immigration office, Police verification at our house also last year, every few months we are asked to submit some or other documents. have submitted morality certificate twice. it has taken more than 26 months. But no confirmation or denial also. Need to know what is happening??????

Does it takes that long?????
Visited PM office a number of times but no one replies except a standard reply "we will let you know"
Pl advise

As I said...the process can become complicated and lengthy. But if you have lived in Mauritius for over 10 years and submitted all the required documents and provided accurate information, there should be no trouble.

However, granting citizenship is not really a top level priority for both the Government or Passport and Immigration office. Occupation permits are treated much more quickly than citizenship requests. The number of expats in Mauritius is increasing dramatically (Mauritian standard) and if those requests have piled up in a drawer at the PMO and there are many others before you, you may well have to wait a bit.

Now even within citizenship requests, those who are married to a Mauritian national may be given even less priority as compared to investors or professionals as you are already living in Mauritius without much constraints ( I mean you are spared from many of the conditions imposed on regular expats) being married to a MRU citizen.
If as a foreign spouse you have no contribution to the country in one way or another, your request might be brushed under the carpet for some time.

Therefore, I cannot give you a precise time span regarding this matter.
Just hope you will be called sooner or later.

Hi,
As Mauritian spouse, I have submit my citizenship application on 2007 after 4 continues years  residence in Mauritius, I have got my citizenship certificate after 9months, you must  have permanent job and better @ Mauritian company, I think rules changed from 2010.
hop this info will help you.
Must be patient.
Happy new year.

Last time I called to inquire I was informed that the process could take anywhere between 12 months to four years, but most likely four years, the good part seems to be that you should be over halfway there. good luck