Job Possibility in Bayamon, PR

I am thinking about applying for a Federal Job in Bayamon, PR and I was wondering what the area is like? What are the good and the bad areas in Bayamon? Is crime bad, what kind? Will I have to worry about my wife and 2 and 3 year old while I'm at work? What is the cost of living like and where is a good/safe place to rent? How is the cost of living in the area? Any information would be great, thanks.

Bayamon is part of the what's called the Metropolitan area of San Juan. Depending on what your budget is you could decide to live in one of the nicer areas in the Metro area like Guaynabo, Condado, Old San Juan. There you can find gated communities and condos with a guard on duty.

If you rather live in a rural area, look at the smaller towns and villages west from Bayamon.

Crime in general is rather high, like in any big city In the USA (the Metro area has around 1 million people) but if you live in a more up-scale neighborhood and avoid certain areas you'll be just fine.

The cost of living is comparable to mid sized cities in the USA. Cars are more expensive here so is electricity. If you have a good car "importing" it might be a good plan. You'd have to pay taxes though.

Good luck!

The cost of electricity is 29 cents per kilowatt/hour, which is very high. You can approximate what the cost of electricity will be if you know the wattage/hours you will use (for example leaving a 100 watt light bulb on for 10 hours will use one kilowatt hour and therefore cot 29 cents, I think I have this right). Electric bills will definitely be more than in the States, sometimes in multiples. A couple here (in Rincon) from Arkansas saw an increase from $25 (in the States) to $150 here.

My total income should be around $90,000.00 gross so I wouldn't think it would be an issue to live anywhere we wanted but you never know. I know nothing about the area and I am just trying to figure out if it is worth moving there. Thanks

With that income you have plenty of possibilities to rent a nice condo or house in a great area.

If it's worth to move here? If you like a tropical climate, the possibility to go to the beach all year 'round, a different culture then you're going to love PR. If you have the option, spend a week (or two) on the island to get the feeling.

We live in Bayamon, and I'm staying at home with our four kids while my husband works not far from the area. We live in a neighborhood called Monte Claro. Our address is Bayamon, but we are really on the border of Toa Baja and Levittown. We are right off exit 16 on the 22. We have easy quick access to most anywhere, and I love our neighborhood and feel safe.  When your kids get older, you are also not far from Fort Buchanan if you want to send them to the school there where most feds send their kids. We homeschool here, but there are several Fed families living in this neighborhood. Our time here in Puerto Rico has been good. We really do love the island, but living here hasn't been easy either. It's been rough at times for different reasons. But we would do it again. If you have anymore questions please let me know.

I wouldn't live any farther into Bayamon. The traffic is bad, and crime is high. Our electric bill runs from about $200 to $400 a month depending on how much we use a.c.  We have a gas dryer in our garage which we run on bbq propane tanks, which saves us a lot of money. Our neighborhood does not have a community pool, but we have a pool in our yard, which was one of the best decisions we made when buying a house. If you get the job and move here, I can also recommend other neighborhoods where to look.

Let us know if you get the job.