New in Indonesia

I will go Jakarta on July 28 and will stay for a month. I will stay in a hotel for 5 days only then find a cheaper place to stay (room for rent would be better). But the problem is: I don't know where?  About their food, where is the cheapest place to eat? About the transportation,  I don't want to use taxi, I would like to commute. Would there be any advice regarding transportation?  And lastly,  communication. Do I really have to learn bahasa indonesia to be able to communicate to other people?

First. Be near where you need to be most. Traffic is terrible.
What brings you here for a month?

Me and my boyfriend will meet in Jakarta for 5 days then he will go back in Malang because he has work there. I will be alone in Jakarta to explore the city and (if possible) find a job.

first you need to know where you will be located, then look for a place close by cause traffic here is bad. So generally people look for accommodation closer to their work place. You can get room in boarding houses here as well but i dont think they will allow your boyfriend as its for females only.

All the best

Cheers

I will be staying in Gajah Mada, Jakarta Barat.

Do you know any cheap houses or rooms to rent?  I will stay there alone.. My boyfriend will just accompany me for 5 days...

I will be staying in Gajah Mada, Jakarta Barat.

Do you know any cheap houses or rooms to rent?  I will stay there alone.. My boyfriend will just accompany me for 5 days...

Gajah Mada is on the busway and near to a railway station and is very busy. It is also close to china town. There will be lots of places to stay around that area but I would choose carefully as there is also lots of entertainment places full of girls (so I am told *cough cough*). Best you spend a day with your BF looking for a nice place to stay there. Walk the backstreets and talk to the locals. I assume your BF can speak Indonesia or you can

lukereg wrote:

Gajah Mada is on the busway and near to a railway station and is very busy. It is also close to china town. There will be lots of places to stay around that area but I would choose carefully as there is also lots of entertainment places full of girls (so I am told *cough cough*). Best you spend a day with your BF looking for a nice place to stay there. Walk the backstreets and talk to the locals. I assume your BF can speak Indonesia or you can

Thanks for that advice and information.  Yes, my bf can speak indonesian but me I can't.  I am still learning his language.

By the way, what place in Jakarta Barat is good to stay?

West Jakarta is huge and it depends on where you are working, your budget and what you want to do.

lukereg wrote:

West Jakarta is huge and it depends on where you are working, your budget and what you want to do.

I'm planning to find a job when I arrive in Jakarta. That's what I want to do.