Bringing second-hand laptop from the US to Vietnam

Hello All,
How would I bring 5+ laptop from the US to HCM? I'd like to bring to upgrade some of my staff's laptops. Can I bring as many as I want, and just pay tax on them at customs at the airport at worst case? If so, what is the % tax? Having no box with them would decrease their value and the tax? Any reason they would confiscate the laptops? Any tips/advice? Thanks.

Normally you can bring 1 laptop without paying any tax. If more than that legally you should pay but here depends situation you may allow subject to their mood  :D  or you may asked for customs tax!

Oh ok thanks. It would be nice to know the tax fees to know if it's worth to do it...

Hello!
I have some recommendation for you, you can choose 1 in 2.
1. You can pay for the tax:
- The imported tax is 8%
- The VAT is 5%
=> Total Tax is 15% on a laptop.

2. You can pay for... the inspector (the checker):
Heretofor, people told me to give them your "Uncle Sam" or "Uncle Ho" as a "ingratiation fee" for checker. Around $10/unit. Nowadays, there are a little bit changing of $20/units. (Around 200,000VND-400,000VND). For exactly, you just keep paying for them a little UNTIL.... their face get Sactisfied, that's time you have completed your negotiation! LOL :D

Good luck to you! Don't for get to give me a US laptop when you suceed! ;)

hehe thanks. Someone told me it was illegal for second-hand laptops but it seems rules have changed. Ok option 2 sounds good but instead of money I'll give some cookies to him...  :dumbom:

tranus wrote:

hehe thanks. Someone told me it was illegal for second-hand laptops but it seems rules have changed. Ok option 2 sounds good but instead of money I'll give some cookies to him...  :dumbom:

It would be nice if Your cookies should have a Seri Number. haha

How about 30 000 VND Coopmart's voucher? Happy new year mate, take that and offer cookies to your team!! :P

Carry two on the plane in a laptop case, another in carryon luggage, the other two in checked luggage.   Nobody will ever add them up.  I've come in with a laptop and two ipads, both new, not a peep.

The one thing you don't want to do is bring them in new and in their boxes.  Then you absolutely will be taxed.

What Chris Fox said... Spread them around amongst your luggage and carry ons - don't have 5 laptops all together in one bag, and you'll have no problems.

Be careful about putting Lithium Ion batteries in hold luggage (from any electrical device). The extreme temperatures and air pressures in there can cause Lithium batteries to heat up and ignite. Sure put the laptops in there, but carry the batteries in your cabin luggage.