Cycling groups in Erbil

Hi guys,

Please could you advise on cycling groups in Erbil? I am a very keen cyclist, onraod and offroad, averaging about 150km road and 90km offroad rides at a time.

I would love to get info on cycling here in Erbil.

Thanks very much!

Will be in Kurdistan sometime in January , I will be looking for a group to ride with too. One more thing , working in various places around the world I have learned to rely mostly on myself for bike repairs , for simple repairs and basic bike tuning I will be able to help. just need to remember to bring my tools

Hi kingair350,

Please note that a new thread has been created with your post on the Iraq forum for more visibility and for more interaction with the other members. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Dear cycler,

thats an awsome idea ! me and my husband have a bike and we can join you with our group . we are in erbil now !

just give us more details

Thankss :)

Hi dears

I am a bike rider like you.
Im riding in erbil lonely. Its be a pleasure to ride with other bike riders in this city.

Thanks. :)

Guys,

I finally landed in Erbil early February, but my bicycle did not yet . Hoping to get everything in country by end of march .  Did someone try the Shaqlawa road on a road bike ?

Hi saferider welcom.

I want to try ride on shaqlawa road, its good to be a group riders to try it.

Thanks

Hey there!

Loved the idea of a group cycling. Why don't we get together at some point for a coffee/tea and discuss the details. Does anyone have a couchsurfing profile? We could create a group and organize a cycling tour.

Has anyone ever shipped a bicycle to Erbil? I am in Turkey at the moment and thinking of buying a new bicycle. Would it be better to bring it with me or just ship it?

Cheers,
Neri

Hi Neri ,

I guess it's better to get your own bicycle out of the country , as far as i know there is only one supplier in family mall .
i hope my reply is helpfull & not late .

have a good day .

Hatem

Thanks Hatem!

I'm still in Istanbul and have noticed a nice bike to buy...

There is Mike's sport in Family Mall. There is also a street called bicycle street in Erbil near Citadel. The whole street is packed with boxes selling bikes, new and second hand. Not sure about their quality. But might come across with good ones if you dig))

There was a german bicycle shop close to doctor's street, but they might have been closed the shop. Need to check.

Anyway! If I buy the bike from Turkey it will cost me to bring to Erbil, as I already have my luggage))

Thinking....

It looks that y r more clever than me in searching !!..... hhhhh
any way i might consider to buy a bike & start cycling with y / the group  , just let me know your plans.when y start .
arrive safe .
thx.

I got my new bike!!!1))))))
https://www.google.com.tr/search?q=rock … L8qU7joKqP

Leaving Istanbul tomorrow and getting my bike to Erbil)))

I'm ready for exploring the roads of Kurdistan!))) Anyone who would like to join is welcome!!

Since I got my new bike, I could sell or lease my old one)))

Hi bike lovers!

How about our first group ride today or tomorrow? Feel free to suggest places to cycle and the time.

Hi

I created a group in facebook
Come there to make our plans to ride in erbil join "erbil bike riders" its open we are waiting for you.

Thanks

Hi!

I don't have a facebook account, so could you just post any news about group cycling here?

Thanks!

I cannot find it on facebook :(

ht :top: tps://www.facebook.com/groups/674533219276762/permalink/674533445943406/

Here is the group link

Hi Neri ,
I might be interested ito buy y used bike , but let me try first for one day , if i like it i buy it , if not i pay y one day lease , what do y think ?

what about Next Friday morning (the 28th. of Mar.)  to start biking with y & the group , i recommed 10.0 AM & to meet in front of Cost Caffee , whjat do y think ?

Regards
Hatem

Correction : to meet in front of Costa Cafe'

Hi Hatem!

I have a friend who is also interested in having my bike. He is going to test it during this week. I will let you know if it doesn't work for him.

Friday morning sounds good for me. We can even make it 8 or 9, in order to avoid the heat. Depending on people's choice and physical background we might choose the route.

I can be third in line to this bike ;) Post info here if you will still have it for sale

Why don't we all go to bicycle street and have a group bike shopping! :D  Maybe we will get a group discount! ;)

i'm fine with 9 AM for next Friday  . & as I do not have a bike yet , so if y agree to lease it to me on Friday till we decide the purchase issue , pls. confirm

I have another bike that I can offer. Just need to check the tires. Let me know when you are available to check it.

Hi
My next workout maybe thursday or friday.
I start near majidimall in koya road to out of erbil.
I think its 80 to 90 km.
Good to be group.

:)

How about a "Get together" before our actual group ride? We can discuss the route, thins we need to bring with us, check bikes and etc..

I guess Friday is a better option, as it's a week end. Lets meet on Thursday, get to know each other and discuss the trip details.

Any suggestions for the venue?

Friday will be good , but in the afternoon!

Group cycling will be this Friday. Meeting at 9:30 infront of Nobel hotel. Bring your bikes:-)))

Ladies and gents ,

Finally got the bike this week and went for a first ride , a 60km loop north of Erbil. Overall a very good ride , especially the rolling hills some 15km out Let me know if you guys are riding on Fridays? and Let me know if you need the map of the ride , I'll try to load it into Strava

One more thing I forgot , next week will be doing the same , same route if weather permits , but will probably avoid using Ainkawa road from the north , It's was worse than cobblestones of Paris Roubaix, will probably extend the route to come back from the Mosul road ( total 80km) . If I leave at 06:00 am should be back before 10:00am

Will be available on Friday , will be interested to Join!?

Hey
Good, let's ride friday.

Hello, I have been in Erbil for 6 months now and up for anything active. I love cycling but I currently don't have a bike. If anyone has an old bike for sale I would be interested to join a group cycle. From what I have seen around here the quality of the bikes for sale is not that great. Also I know this chat is about cycling but if anyone is interested in rock climbing I heard there are some bolted climbs within an hour of erbil near shaklawa. Or has anyone has heard if there is an indoor gym?

I am interested in climbing as well!

What application u use for workout tracking?
let's be friend in an app.
I use "strava" and "sportstracker"
If u have those my profile name is "rashadka"
:top:

Hi worthys3557 welcome
I don't have an old bike for sale, but here is a bike shop in family mall "mike sport" they have great Trek bikes, but i think they sell so expensive than other countries.
I heard before that have a good bike shopping in 60m street, if i find it i'll tell u.

Thanks
Rashad

None , I use cycle tracks GPS app for windows phone . But do no post anything online . Regarding tomorrows ride , I'll be ready at 06:00 am Empire apartments or any other location sound that area. My phone number is 0750 776 8205

Saif

Ok, we will ride tomorrow, i ll call u.
Rashad

This last Friday( May 2) we had a ride Rashad and I. Weather  was almost perfect apart from the head wind for the first 50km of the ride . The rides stats are :

Distance : 77km
Elevation gain : 625m

notes for the next ride : take some food