Papers I need to establish myself in Cuenca

The short answer is "nothing is automatic". If eligible, you can be issued a new T-3 or new 12-X. It all depends on your current status.

OK, I can understand that but it can be done?  What would be the requirements and how long would I have to stay out of country?

If you have a T- 3 visa stamp, yes, you can go to a neighboring country and through the nearest Ecuador Consulate apply for a 12-X visa, assuming you have the necessary documents. We went to Ipiales, Colombia and had the 12-X within 2 days. Ecuador Consulates issue temporary visas (12 series). You cannot get another T-3 unless it has been 365 days since the last stamp was issued, normally. They do make mistakes sometimes.

Thank you for the info...I will research more and find out what a T3 and 12-X are.  I am Canadian so not sure what documents I would need to bring.  I only have 20 days left on my last passport visa so will try for and extension in that time in Cuenca. If not, I will go to Peru until Feb, 2115.  I am coming back to Cuenca  Nov. 2.

You can enter Ecuador with just your passport and at the border or when you land at the airport they will issue you a T-3 stamp, which is good for a total of 90 days. The clock stops if you leave the country for any reason. About a month before the T-3 stamp expires, you can apply for a 12-X (90 day visa). I have attached a link to a helpful website, which I think will answer many of your questions: http://cancilleria.gob.ec/requirements- … n/?lang=en

If you have 20 days left on your passport visa (that is the T-3 stamp). If you leave it stops running. I don't think you have enough time to apply for a 12-X but it might be worth a try. Otherwise, just before it expires, leave Ecuador for Peru and you can apply for the 12-X. But, don't return until after the T-3 expires or they may stamp you back in with that. The word "extension" is not commonly used with visas in Ecuador.

You are a fountain of great info and I thank you very much.  I don't think I have enough time for the 12-X either but I have a friend that thinks he can help me.  I was talking with a guy in Peru and he is the one who said I just had to leave and then return for an automatic renewal.  Had a problem with that, but I had to check it out.  I may just go to Lima and try for a 12-X or just stay until Feb . and then return. for 90 days again.
   Bryan

Glad I could help. Enjoy your journey.