Distance Running in Kuwait

Anyone interested in distance running.  I'm moving to Kuwait in Janaury and would love to keep up with my running.  Always helpful to have a running partner, group or club.  Anyone know of anything that's already in place? I know it gets really hot later in the year; but I imagine January to March might provide some good conditions.  Please let me know if you are interested. 

BTW ... I am not an expert ... or an elite runner,  I'm happy to run with anyone.  But I do like to push myself a bit from time to time.

oh starflip, reading your post does fill my heart with joy :)

firstly, allow me to introduce myself, I am legacy, the expert advice giver on the Kuwait forum; my friends call me aymz, I also am an avid running enthusiast and have clocked close to 3,800KM on Nike+Running so far. given my enthusiasm, I started a running group taht (find us on facebook [img align=here]www.facebook.com/Q8FootSoldiers[/img])meets every friday morning at Marina crescent at 8AM (you'll become super familiar with the locations once u land here). we usually do 8KM, well, they do, as I run from home and back I end up doing about 21KM.

midweek I run solo around the area where I live, but I usually end up hitting the beach side and putting in a decent 10K or so there.

i also co-chair a running group that meets in the same location on saturday mornings at 9AM.

let us know when ur here and we'll talk running :)

Nice to meet you.  Excellent info.  Thanks.  Hope to meet you pretty soon after arrival in Kuwait.  I've always found that running is a great way to get to know places and people.  I'm assuming it's OK for guys to run in shorts?

oh no! if you run in shorts u will be flogged in a public square :P

im messing with u; i had the same fear when running in saudi, but there i chose to run in long pants. here you can run in anything, except a sports bra..

shorts are ok, if you get chilly you can wear some compressions beneath em.

personally i cite running as the number one cause of my impeccable geographic skills and ability to navigate the side roads; coz i've run em on foot!

OK ... thought this might be the case.  I lived in Pakistan for a while ... and there it really depended on where you were.  Just needed to be sensitive to local culture and listen to local wisdom.  Shorts were fine in some places; but in many it was better to wear light tracks.  Se you in January all being well :)

I ran 10K in karachi but within the hotel parking lot :)

Hahaha.  I understand.  I used to run the beach at Clifton or sometimes much further out at Sandspit ... and vary my times and the exact location for obvious reasons.  When I lived in Pakistan, it was in the Himalaya ... Plenty of hill runs and off-track stuff.  I generally hate tread-mills and gyms.  I may have to adjust my ideas for the summer in Kuwait.  But I am an all-weather runner and will not give in too easily to the call to buy a gym membership.

Even in the summer we still run outdoors; just start earlier. We were starting at 630am :)

I like it :)

starflip we'll be waiting for you this friday morning then ;)

Hi ... Don't wait for me ... coz I may not make it.  Still in the whirl of settling into the apartment and new job/responsibilities etc.  Exactly where do you meet?  I am living in Mangaf.  I'll try to get there ... coz I'd love to run ... but don't want you to hang around if I am not be able to make it.

Hi when are you landing in kuwait? I am also looking for a running partner. I don't feel safe running on my own. I am not an expert either but have been losing weight and would like to further continue to look after my health. Let me know if you would like to run with me.

I know by now my fitness is so low that the mere mention of distance running makes my heart pound :P But I have to break this cycle. I'll join you guys if I find some time and find you guys :) ... later

anyone interested in running can join me and my group on the following days:

friday morning: 8AM by the fountain near pizza express at marina crescent.

saturday morning: 9AM by starbucks marina crescent.

:)

I think I will try to come out on Saturday for some running.  I have been doing so e running along the path here in Mangaf since I been in town and it would be nice to get out.  Is it the same 8km like on Friday?

hi..its completely safe if u go for running in the scientific center in salmiya

Hi I recently moved in and looking for running buddy. I have some 50. Marathon ultra half. .   Am training mostly in faheel fintas coastal rd.

Is timing same in summer too. What is da distance like and pace.

hi i would like to run if you are interested ..i have very good experience in weight loss and supplements .t c

Hi All,

I will be moving to Kuwait in a couple of weeks. Is the running group still ongoing? Or is it too hot now?

yes Matt, we still run, just earlier in the morning :)

during ramadan it will be evening runs tho

running at ramadhan forces me into my extreme running mood for some reason, probably the atmosphere :)

Hi,
That sounds great. I will be joining you mid July .

is there any running pist in kuwait?i would like to know the address  :)

pist?

Usually, I warm up as I jog to the beach at Mangaf.  Then do up and down the beach in various formats, and often dip into the sea before stretching and jogging home.  I'm even running in this weather ... pretty hot, but if you keep well-hydrated and read your own body ... it's fine.

i mean the athletics track,where can i find it if you give me the address i apriciate it ;)

I think there is a track in Mishref, but I don't know the specific address.  I don't do track running in Kuwait.

thank you so much ;)

tomorrow morning my group runs 9K at Marina Crescent on the beach side; early morning start, 6AM. Q8FootSoldiers on FB, check us out :)

the track in mishref is parallel to the 30 and the 6th Ring Road, u cant miss it.

hello!

I am a single canadian women who is just considering taking a job in kuwait…. and one of my biggest concerns is if i can keep up my running! (especially the safety concern of running alone, as I'm assuming I may have to give up my trails for pavement!). I am a competitive ultra marathon runner, so a 20min jog around the block isn't going to cut it….

So I came across this forum post  and was very excited! So I'm hoping you could enlighten me on what the running situation might be like in Kuwait city, how safe it would be for me to go out on my own, if it's appropriate to wear shorts and tank tops for athletic purposes, and any info on your running group????

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Heather

The best place to run its in salmiya beside marina mall, am sure u gonna like it. Btw I'm always running over there, so if u want we can run together😄

Hello,

You may run any where by your own. However, you might want to use public coasts, walking lanes to enjoy your time safely.

Cheers,

A-Man

@Hlee_16 look up Q8 Foot Soldiers on Facebook. You'll be surprised.

thank you JFU :D

we'll be debuting our midweek run on tuesday evenings at 8PM at Mishref Track :)

see u there peeps!

I will be happy if u consider me as your athlete,i will put ma trust on to u.

Am ready answer tat u want from m

Minases ... you are from Kenya?  I imagine that you are already a fine runner!  I am currently in the UK on vacation but will be back in Kuwait late August.

I live in Mangaf and run regularly ... but I'm no so fast!  I do want to train for a Marathon in November ... So if you'd like to join me on some of my runs, I'd be delighted.

Keep in touch.

I magine am good runner,poverty took me to be profession,but am not attain ma achievement,lack of money to support my self

Hi,

I enjoy jogging but I generally can't go more than 4km due to my joint problems! Just wondering what attire a female is expected to wear when jogging out and about? Moving to Fintas at the end of August!