Internet slow down again

Looks like the internet is going down the tubes again. Started late last night and now today it's next to worthless. Changed over to my 3G USB to see if that would speed it up. Nope. Is it just me? I'm using VNPT.

Nope...not just you.  Same here this morning.

it made me crazy last night when i was trying to finish my movie...i'm using FPT and also got the same problem lol :-)

Same dang thing happened around this time last year. Lasted almost 10 days.

It's my fault.  I have six Incapacitants CDs downloading at the same time as three torrents.  Sorry.  The torrents finish in a while but there are tons of music to come.

ChrisFox wrote:

It's my fault.  I have six Incapacitants CDs downloading at the same time as three torrents.  Sorry.  The torrents finish in a while but there are tons of music to come.

I wish that was all it was....

That explains it, my in-laws couldn't log in to anything. My son wanted to Skype with his grandma but they couldnt log on.

Just guessing, but I think it's the overseas cable again. The VN sites on VN servers seem to be ok. What's the price of copper these days?

Budman1 wrote:

Just guessing, but I think it's the overseas cable again. The VN sites on VN servers seem to be ok. What's the price of copper these days?

Pair of tin cans and a piece of string.  One tap for 0, two taps for 1

ChrisFox wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Pair of tin cans and a piece of string.  One tap for 0, two taps for 1

Chris you must have worked at the Microsoft help desk at one time. Sounds like the same advice they would give.

Budman1 wrote:

Chris you must have worked at the Microsoft help desk at one time. Sounds like the same advice they would give.

Worked in product development, not the helpdesk .. shudder .. the helpdesk is some guy with an impenetrable Indian accent who doesn't even let you describe what you're calling about before he's telling you to put the install DVD in the drive to wipe out your whole machine and reinstall.  When you don't want to lose everything he says he are cannot be to helping you, hangs up and marks the "ticket" successfully solved.

Here's the reason hot off the press:

http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/16203/in … nams-coast

Budman1 wrote:

Here's the reason hot off the press:

http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/16203/in … nams-coast

Fortunately, transactions and communications made domestically are not affected.

Now that's comforting.  Lazada won't be affected.

Vung Tau, huh?  OK, 'fess up.

Same here!
I think most places affected. Today afternoon it seems better.

You spoke too soon.  Conditions degrading again anf

NO CARRIER

This morning was a bit slower than usual but now I'm happy. I'm using VNPT.

Follow up info:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/page … reaks.aspx

I know I'm late to the party here, but yes, it's a problem with the AAG undersea cable - AGAIN. Same ole same ole TIV. I'm sure every other country in Asia-Pacific connected to the AAG is OK. For some damn reason, VIETNAM can't seem to keep its leg of the AAG up and running for more than a few months at a time. Then takes months to get it repaired again. And I love it (NOT) when ISP tech support says "there's no problem with website in Vietnam". No shit, Sherlock. I really need those VN websites.  :mad:

It's seems like it's worse this time, 7 to 8 weeks to fix it??? Your going to have a heck of a time with that slingbox over the holidays if this keeps up...

Glad it's not just me, I sat here a few days wondering what I did to my computer! I'm going to need to find a life outside the internet if it'll take 7-8weeks, sites I visit take 5+ minutes to load--if they load at all...

it seems not that bad to me, facebook, games still run well :p, but torents a bit slow

Budman1 wrote:

It's seems like it's worse this time, 7 to 8 weeks to fix it??? Your going to have a heck of a time with that slingbox over the holidays if this keeps up...

Already having a time with it. Only works well for about 5 hours in the early morning - say 4am to 9am. The rest of the day it's unwatchable. Fortunately, I have a DVR in the states so I can time-shift and watch sports events during that time. Have to do that most of the time anyway, because the stuff I want to watch is on while I'm sleeping here.  I've only got to put up with this for the next 5 weeks, until I go to the states for Tet. Looking forward to watching the Superbowl on a 55" HDTV, along with whatever else will be on during the 3 weeks I'm there.  :D  Hopefully (and that's a big hope), they'll have the AAG fixed by the time I get back to VN in mid-Feb. Gotta be able to see March Madness.

I had one day of glacial perf, but then I had a lot of downloads and torrent feeds going. 

Had a Viber call to Australia today over WiFi and it was clear as a local phone call.

ChrisFox wrote:

Had a Viber call to Australia today over WiFi and it was clear as a local phone call.

As the broken cable reportedly goes to Hong Kong, I would guess there may be another dedicated cable to Australia.

THIGV wrote:
ChrisFox wrote:

As the broken cable reportedly goes to Hong Kong, I would guess there may be another dedicated cable to Australia.

I seriously doubt that.

There is a certain amount of redundancy built into these systems, although in VN it is probably a lot less than most in the west are used to.  The fact that there is any connection at all to the US and other countries is an indication of that.  I read people here reporting that local internet traffic is unaffected but that is not what I hear from my wife.  If the cable to Hong Kong is broken, the traffic may be following an overland route which would of course slow down local traffic.

The Internet is set up to be "self-rerouting" so that if an existing set of hops between two nodes develops a break, it finds a new topology.  Obviously the Vung Tau cable isn't the only one, else we would be able to connect to nothing outside VN.

Whether or not the other cables can handle the load is another question; the rerouting may take time to settle into place, hence the initial slowdown followed by mostly restored performance.

Looks like it's still going to be awhile till things get back to normal:

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/16276/int … eks-to-fix

Budman1 wrote:

Looks like it's still going to be awhile till things get back to normal:

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/16276/int … eks-to-fix

I must be in an area with favorable topology.  Performance is back to normal.  Such as it is.  YouTube is only occasionally free of skips.  After we went fiber it was great, I think it's throttled.  Download speeds are certainly good enough for it.

I don't seem to have any problem here in D2, and I use the same IP as you do Mr. Budman. Even have tried stateside and it is fine, I really have recognized no problem since this came up.

This must be fairly location specific and maybe varies by carrier.  I have SCTV (no choice in our building) and right now I am downloading a Daily Show episode at about 15Kb/sec instead of the usual 350Kb/sec.

Mind you I'm not downloading huge data files when I speak of no problem noticed. Now I did download from iTunes a couple of days ago and thought it was acting a little goofy when I attempted simultaneous downloads of music files. But when processed alone they went quite fast. I just don't download a lot of data. I have emailed some .jpg files and they seemed to go as normal.

I bought a Richard Pinhas double CD on iTunes and it downloaded in 40 seconds.  Doesn't get much better than that.

I really don't want to jinx this but my internet has been back to normal since yesterday. 2 hour long vids on Youtube loading lightning fast and everything.

milkybunnyHCM wrote:

I really don't want to jinx this but my internet has been back to normal since yesterday. 2 hour long vids on Youtube loading lightning fast and everything.

Who is your ISP, Milky?

Viettel.  :)

milkybunnyHCM wrote:

Now you've gone and done it, you'll get 2400 baud speed henceforth

Thanks Milkyhunnybunny.  :)   What I'm finding out, with this latest outage of the AAG, is that not all ISPs' backup systems are equal.  Mine (SPT) SUCKS!  They're too cheap to pay for a proper backup (even though they're getting plenty of money from me and others every month), and instead are buying bandwidth from another ISP and only getting about 30% of normal. (I seriously doubt they'll cut my bill to 30% of normal next month though, will they?)  I'm done with them. They obviously don't care about quality and customer service. I'll be switching before the end of the month. I advise anyone else here who is a customer of SPT to do the same.  They need to be sent a message.

saigonmonkey wrote:

Thanks Milkyhunnybunny.  :)   What I'm finding out, with this latest outage of the AAG, is that not all ISPs' backup systems are equal.  Mine (SPT) SUCKS!  They're too cheap to pay for a proper backup (even though they're getting plenty of money from me and others every month), and instead are buying bandwidth from another ISP and only getting about 30% of normal. (I seriously doubt they'll cut my bill to 30% of normal next month though, will they?)  I'm done with them. They obviously don't care about quality and customer service. I'll be switching before the end of the month. I advise anyone else here who is a customer of SPT to do the same.  They need to be sent a message.

It appears VNPT is trying to provide better service this time. It's seems to be consistent anyway.

milkybunnyHCM wrote:

Viettel.  :)

I'm using Viettel Fiberoptic in Bien Hoa and this time the internet disruption hasn't been too bad. When I use Viber at home I get no problems, when I use it in coffee shops plenty of bad connections. Last year when we had this problem I had FPT and it was horrible.