Moving my horse(s) from Brighton, Colorado to Belize !

I would like to find out what would be involved in moving my horse(s) from Brighton, Colorado to Belize. What is the best way to transport them, what vaccinations, examination, certificates, etc are required? Is there a quarantine period required? What is the price per horse to move them? What other information would be beneficial in order to decide about this move?

Hi jackfranklin,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Belize Forum for better visibility and interaction :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

I imported our two dogs. I don't know about horses, but here is the website from the government department that looks after importing of animals (Belize Agricultural Health Authority). You will need to get a permit to import the horse, as well as pay a fee for the permit, and then another fee when they examine the horse.

Government WebSite: http://www.baha.bz/animal_health.html

I expect that you will be driving down through Mexico. Therefore you will need to have all of the permits to have the horse in Mexico as well. I do not know the websites for Mexico.

Colorado is a similar climate to Alberta Canada. There are not a lot of parasites in Alberta. When you come down here there are many more. Educate yourself on these, and be prepared. I would recommend that you make contact with a vet once you get here to understand this.