Yangon - Apartment, Finance, Health insurance....

Dear all,

I am not sure if I post under the right topic, so please move it if it's wrong, thank you.

My name is Chris and I am from Europe. Old man with 39 years, but still kicking :-)

I spent the last few weeks within Yangon because of some business requirements from our international company, which has just open a few months ago. The big boss came by today and asked me if I would be interested to live and work in Yangon, under local contract but with special benefits.

My questions :

- any chance to find a 1 bed-room apartment next to Dagon Township ? (not more than $2500 max)

- how about working and residence permit ? Easy to get or super complicated ? And what needs to be done ?

- health insurance ? I assume that I need to contact one global acting health care company to get an insurance, don't I ?

- how can I transfer money out from Yangon to Europe ? Online banking possible and which bank provide such an service ?

Thanks a lot for your help and best regards,

Chris

[Moderated: No free advert on the forum. Post your advert in the Flats for rent in Myanmar.]

Hi Chris,

I got a condominium to let which suits your budget. Pls see below link for more detais.

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/asia/m … condo.html

Kind Regards,

Phyo

Chris - regarding work and residency permits:

-  You will need a business visa to work in Myanmar.  Usually this is arranged by applying at a Myanmar Consulate or Embassy in your home country before you first travel to Myanmar.  You will need a letter of introduction & invitation from a Myanmar registered local company (or a Myanmar Govt Ministry/Department) as well as a copy of their Myanmar Company Registration.  Full details will be available (along with the application form) at your nearest Myanmar Embassy.
Normally you will get a 1 month (28 days) Business visa first if applying for yourself with the above paperwork, but 3 month and 1 year visas are also available.

You can stay for 70 days in Myanmar before you have to leave again.  If you are staying long term, your local company (or govt office) will be able to apply for a Stay Permit for you, which allows you to stay for up to a year without leaving.  Otherwise you will need to leave Myanmar every 70 days (or 28 days if you are only on a single entry Business Visa to begin with)

Banking for foreigners is still difficult, but not impossible.  Other options are to be paid in part in your home country, and the rest in cash in Yangon for living expenses etc.
There are several foreign banks establishing representative offices in Myanmar, and Myanmar banks are now preparing to engage with international banking system, but its still early days.
ATM's accepting foreign visa and mastercards are now available in the major centres of Yangon, Mandalay, Nay Pyi Taw etc.

Can't help with the rent and insurance sorry - try looking at SOS/AEA for the insurance part, the first company I worked for in Yangon had us expats covered by them,
cheers

and 39 is NOT old!!   :lol: