South Africans - I need your help

Dear South African expats,

I'm writing an article about first South African generation who was raised after the fell of apartheid and it would be great if you would like to help me.

I would like to ask you two questions:
1) How does the generational clash looks in South Africa? What's the difference between your and your parents' mentality?
2) How will Mandela's death impact SA future? Do you see yourself coming back?

I would like to find out if you agree with the Western media coverage of social tensions in SA and hear some first hand opinions.
I would be grateful for your contribution :)

Cheers,
Emilia

I am not amongst the first generation after apartheid but I can tell you that Mandela's death will have little to no effect on the country.  He retired from public office in 1999.  Though active in world affairs for many years after, he did nothing to influence or restrain the increasing corruption within the ANC.  In death he will remain as widely praised and admired as he was whilst alive.

The "western media" as you call it greatly exaggerate the dangers and difficulties of living or visiting South Africa.  Just as they do for any country that is not full of white people.

Hello There,
1) How does the generational clash looks in South Africa? What's the difference between your and your parents' mentality?
I think there is a great misunderstanding out there in the world with regards South Africa. After the elections took place the entire country sighed a massive sigh of relieve that all the "Official" apartheid nonsense was done with and people could choose themselves how they behaved towards each other. The majority of the people were happy, truly happy and only a small portion of "die hard's" would complain and mutter in their homes. These were and are the people who continue to consider themselves superior purely by the accident of their birth. But today we are 20 years further already and the once young children of these people are now young adults and they have a totally different outlook on things than their parents had. Yes BEE (Black economic empowerment)  is not making life easier for whites finding jobs but with extra effort and input from themselves they do eventually land a job or they go overseas and find jobs there to come back quite a bit richer than if they had stayed and earned a SA salary.
Or they decide to continue their studies in order to achieve a higher qualification which then makes finding a job easier or finding employment overseas easier too. Those who emotionally fight the change struggle more than those who understood that the change had to happen in order for South Africa to be a respectable country in the world.

2) How will Mandela's death impact SA future? Do you see yourself coming back?
Although Madiba was indeed an old gentleman when he passed on, everybody agrees that his loss is a terrible thing and he will be sorely missed by most whites and Africans. Mandela and his presidency was an example of how South Africa could be run. He stuck to the ANC principles and to the freedom charter and did not deviate from it. Unfortunately not all ANC leaders are Nelson Mandela's. And as every country has opportunists so too does South Africa have opportunists who use politics to reach positions of power and who then unfortunately abuse this power for personal gain. This does not mean that South Africa is doomed for eternity with corruption. The political arena is alive and well and every 4 years we can choose  different leaders nationally and locally.
Yes there might be an old loyalty factor which plays a role in the peoples choice when voting but as time goes by more and more people will come to understand what politics is all about and understand that they have the power to change a corrupt government. Simply keep an eye on this years elections and on the elections in 2016 when you will see the change in % of all the various political parties. This change is the surest proof that people are becoming educated in how politics work. South Africa has a very bright future ahead of itself. At present it is a young plant which still needs to find it's way but in time it will become the envy of many an African country where true democracy does not really exist. 75% of South Africans are below the age of 40. The population is  very young and dynamic. imagine what such a young population could achieve with proper education and government!!!    I for one am willing to stand by South Africa while it goes through it's growing pains the end result will be worth it.

I agree that the climate of political corruption will prorogue eventually but I fear that it shall be later rather than sooner.  People are educating themselves more but even the educated remain loyal to the ANC for emotional reasons whilst ignoring their horrendous corruption.