Change life...in England

Hi my names is Simon, this post is aimed at all people who want to change life, the dreamers, those who are looking for new ideas.
How many of you would be willing to move to England and start from 0?
How many of you have already done?
Tell your story...

I have already done it since last year although Ive been here before but I was on holidays back then.

I'm a native NewYorker (upper east side Manhattan) and moved to UK in 1997 for work. Got stuck in with houses, mortgages, cars, pets, kids, etc.  After 10 years in London, now live in the Cotswolds.

The most frequent question I am asked is "why on earth would you want to live here?" and I find myself struggling for answers.

Originally it was for a change of scenery, a divorce (in US) & what looked like a good job opportunity. 17 years later, I often find myself saying "why on earth did I move here". Small minded people (don't get me wrong, I have great friends), limitations at every turn (planning, government, people, space, traffic, etc.), distaste toward Americans (sick and tired of every party someone wanting to blame me for the invasion of Granada or Panama or Iraq or Afghanistan). And most of all Trust (British people don't like to share what's on their minds or say it like it is).

Don't want this to sound like a rant (although I know it is), the only thing I'd say is... take a long hard look at where your'e moving to and where you're moving from, and ask yourself why. Look under the surface and try to picture yourself there in 10 years and ask yourself... is this where I really want to be, are these really the people I can live with for years to come. Ask yourself if you Trust them. Go into a pub and see who wants to question you why You invaded Granada.

There is still time to save yourself.

Peace & love.

whywouldyou wrote:

I'm a native NewYorker (upper east side Manhattan) and moved to UK in 1997 for work. Got stuck in with houses, mortgages, cars, pets, kids, etc.  After 10 years in London, now live in the Cotswolds.

The most frequent question I am asked is "why on earth would you want to live here?" and I find myself struggling for answers.

Originally it was for a change of scenery, a divorce (in US) & what looked like a good job opportunity. 17 years later, I often find myself saying "why on earth did I move here". Small minded people (don't get me wrong, I have great friends), limitations at every turn (planning, government, people, space, traffic, etc.), distaste toward Americans (sick and tired of every party someone wanting to blame me for the invasion of Granada or Panama or Iraq or Afghanistan). And most of all Trust (British people don't like to share what's on their minds or say it like it is).

Don't want this to sound like a rant (although I know it is), the only thing I'd say is... take a long hard look at where your'e moving to and where you're moving from, and ask yourself why. Look under the surface and try to picture yourself there in 10 years and ask yourself... is this where I really want to be, are these really the people I can live with for years to come. Ask yourself if you Trust them. Go into a pub and see who wants to question you why You invaded Granada.

There is still time to save yourself.

Peace & love.

Wisely said.

It's my lifetimes dream to go to NY, my sister's gone there twice, even visited the twins.

Gotta agree, small minded people here but thankfully there are exceptions, plenty of bigotry around though…
You mention smt toward Americans…Have you been elsewhere? UK is very friendly in comparison!
Unlike you, I came here because I had two choices, either live in an almost bankrupt state, or come here and try to have a better life (quite subjective this), but I had to do smt anyway, to move on, so I said what the hell, after all I have been in the UK before (…how things have changed dramatically since then...the irony).

Coming from a John Lennon follower

Wish you were in London, we d go out for a drink

Moving to Britain and especially London does not solve everyone's problems whatever they are.
Britain is overcrowded we are in a recession the housing market is stagnant, people with good degrees find it hard to get jobs so think carefully before you leave your own town.
Have a job at the very least to go too and accommodation and plenty of money in case it doesn't work out.
Learn the language.
Be realistic" the grass is not always greener on the other side" as the saying goes and you'll not be disappointed.

I sympathise.  Had to move back here because of nasty divorce in US - but I miss America Sooooo much.  Luckily people in Bristol are a bit more broad minded.  I can't imagine myself in the countryside.  That anti-American Middle-England pub talk.  Yuck!