English Teacher Seaking Opportunities

Hello, I live in Santo Domingo, and have been here two years and traveled here for 8 years previously. I am currently teaching English at a popular university here and for another job where I go to various banks and businesses teaching English to professionals.

I enjoy the work very much, but I want to move out of the city. I am interested in opportunities in smaller towns or pueblos, or in the campo. I speak enough Spanish to provide instruction and to understand questions that come up in class.

This is my first time in the Expat.com. So far I am impressed with the blogs and content, much better than other sites I have seen.

If anyone can steer me in the right direction for resource and contacts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Welcome Steve! I too am in Santo Domingo. You may want to try the various language schools on the north coast and Punta Cana.

Welcome to the forum.

There may be jobs here on the north coast. There are lots of companies geared to tourism and English is very important for their employees. With the new cruise port opening next year the demand for English speaking workers will be even greater here.

Bob K

Hello and thank you. Most of my travels here have been in Cibao and the north coast. I know of companies and industry that are making investments here. I know of some efforts to exploit and to attract tourist dollars and make business. I have traveled here for 8 years before deciding to live here. Can you tell me what companies and locations and industries are growing here ?

As you know here, and have more experience than I do, so much is based on who you know and where specifically to apply.

I do appreciate your assistance.

Steve

Hello Bob and thanks. Can you tell me where are the pueblos and which pueblos and ports and locations are gearing up for business. Yes I am aware of much of the activity and also the geograpphy. But if you can tell me where and which companies, that would be a lot of help.

Thanks,

Steve

You need to go to the north coast and go see what is happening.  go to the hotels, (although they would not invest before in English classes - just a warning)  go to the companies there and present yourself. go to the schools, go everywhere. Almost everything here happens face to face.  And yes it is all about who you know, but, I lose my value when I present someone to my contact who I don't know.  However that can be rectified with a cup of coffee! Time to network and get connected!

Planner is correct about "boots on the ground" and networking.  The areas here that will be most impacted by the new seaport are:
Puerto Plata, Cofressi, the playa dorada hotel complex, Sosua and Cabarete.

Bob K

And pretty much in that order too Bob!

Actually we are hoping for a longer term fall out here in Sosua and Cabarete with returning tourists who liked the cruise stop as well as those looking for property here. Again those who enjoyed the cruise stop. So it may be a year or two before the area sees the full impact.

Bob K