Protocol Number and Banking Options

Bom Dia Gente!

I have a question, we have our Protocol number now. Which bank would you recommend opening an account with? I tried yesterday with Bradesco, but after 2.5 hours and needing to wait till today for a phone call, was rejected. The reason - didn't have an RNE number. I figured it is a private bank and they can have their own rules. So, should I try the Banco do Brasil?

Thanks

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

Do you have your RNE? Unless you have the RNE and a protocol that states "valido como documento oficial de identidade" no bank will allow you to open an account. It is the most infuriating and bureaucratic thing you can possibly do in Brazil. If you haven't already done so, look at my posting "A Gringo's Survival Guide for Brazil" and read the section about banking.

While people will tell you that legally banks must provide accounts for any foreigners here on VITEM-V Temporary Work Visas they just won't do it. They still insist on VIPER Permanent Visa, RNE, CPF, Proof of Brazilian address and proof of income. Most won't even talk to you until you actually have the Permanent Visa in hand. Sorry to say.

Don't just take my word for it.... read the following horror story too. It is, unfortunately, all too true.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/braz … ?page=full

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

I must be lucky. I do not have an RNE, just a protocol. I even had the DPF type a letter as they don't issue SINCRE anymore until you near the end of the process of permanency.

I have a Poupança (savings) account with Bradesco in Manaus. The documents I needed were:

* Work Book
* CPF
* Proof of Address (Required my landlord to fill out some form) - I did not get my first phone bill when I applied.
* Passport

They didn't even ask for the letter. That is because on the Bradesco website for the account they DO NOT require an RG or RNE. Your passport OR work book is sufficient. That is correct, the flimsy green work book you get is worth more in gold than your passport in the insane country. They did not even know what the protocol sheet was because they didn't ask for it, look at it, or want it.

Read about the account here: http://www.bradesco.com.br/html/classic … panca.shtm

Click on 'Documentos Necessários'

É necessário apresentar o original dos seguintes documentos:
* Documento de identificação: qualquer um destes – RG, carteira de motorista, carteira de identidade militar, passaporte (se estrangeiro), carteira de trabalho, carteira de inscrição em entidades de classe
* CPF
* Comprovante de endereço: conta de consumo – exceto conta de celular

I tried to open an account at Banco do Brasil but was told to go to 6 different places first. I decided to flip them the bird and forget about it. However, I could have opened a 'Conta-Corrente' using my US paystub, and the DPF letter that was issued (BB did ask for it, whereas Bradesco did not) and it didn't need to be translated. They wanted copies of everything and we were told to go to the - get this, post office to open the account but were redirected to the main branch in Manaus. No thanks.

James - I really think you should try at Bradesco. I just changed agencies yesterday - which is essentially opening a new account because changing your address in Brazil is also a bureaucratic  nightmare - no issues whatsoever, aside from waiting 3 hours in line. You just need the proof of address which is the pain in the arse. If you have a utility bill that will suffice (recent) excluding cellular. Bradesco will not let you open a checking account without a job here, but a savings account is not an issue at all apparently.

I would strongly advise anyone that has an account in a western bank (US, Canada, European to utilize that account as much as possible. The currency here is devaluating daily. Your money is worth more elsewhere and best of all the government of Brazil can't touch it. :D

Matt-

oh boy, read that post and could almost rewrite it with my experience. I was told with the Protocol number I can open an account. I will not get the permanent visa till after the police visit, which they could not tell me when I would receive. Man, I have a love hate relationship with this country.

So how do I get my RNE? If I have a protocol number, what is my next step? I am a little confussed.

I ended up going to the banco do brasil today and tried there. I had an energy account and my rental contract, but the name on the energy bill was different then the name on the contract. So I resolved that issue, understandable I guess. Before I left I asked if my passport and Protocol number was okay, he said yes. Okay, good, this should be easy. Left, got the new energy bill with my name on it, then returned. He then said my identification is actually not good, because it expires in 1 year. I told him this is all I got. He then said, after he told me he wouldn't need it, my contract with the land lord just for reference. After all this, he decided he better discuss it with the manager and told me he would phone me back. I await the phone call.

So I guess I will go to the federal police and ask them, how am I suppose to be economically able to support my son, if I am not able to open an account and work in Brazil, even though they gave me a little stamp in my passport, and a loose piece of paper with my picture on it.

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

If you have applied for your VIPER Permanent Visa (and if the Federal Police) have already assigned you an RNE number, which they may not have done BTW, it will appear on the protocol to the right of your photo (under your city and country of birth). The box is entitled "Tipo de documento apresentado". If it does not show an RNE number there then you probably won't get one until such time as the application has been approved. This could be 2 or more years down the road.

In the meantime, even with great luck and a lot of perserverance the very best you're going to be able to do is savings account (conta poupança). At the present without your VIPER and RNE a checking account (conta corrente) is simply a distant dream. Even when you finally obtain one you must be extra cautious. You must guard your checkbook with your life, since you are legally responsible for every single check that the bank issues to you. If your checkbook is stolen or cloned and somebody writes fraudulent checks passing themselves off as you, you're cooked. You really sure you want a bank account here anyway?

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team