Pension and Visa for wife

Looking for PRACTICAL info re retiring in Australia- pension age soon. Have wife (Viet) and 4 year old Australian citizen son.

Query is- Govt "canned" responses look like:
1. Must go and live in Australia for 2 years before I can take my pension with me back to Vn. They say that's because I have been out of Australia for 12 years- BUT I have returned regularly for visits.

2. Permanent residence visa for wife costs $3500.00 (Can't afford)

Can get Tourist visa for wife-3-6 months (She has visited Oz 2 times already).

If I can get her to come to Oz for say 3-6 months, Can I leave Oz for a time to come back with her-say on holiday? and suffer no withdrawal of pension?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Can contact me at
[Moderated: Please send numbers in private]

Hi ttrconnors,

Please note that your post was moved on the Australia forum for better visibility.

Best of luck :)

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Guess Aussies living in VN will never know the outcome of this query now.  It should stay in both categories.

I am in the same boat as I live in Laos with my family but work wherever around the world.
I am back working in Oz now so when I retire I can claim a pension.
There is a move by the govt to stop paying pensions to those of us who choose to live overseas where it is cheaper.
It seems that if you are out of the country for even a short time your pension will be stopped for that period.

stumpy wrote:

I am in the same boat as I live in Laos with my family but work wherever around the world.
I am back working in Oz now so when I retire I can claim a pension.
There is a move by the govt to stop paying pensions to those of us who choose to live overseas where it is cheaper.
It seems that if you are out of the country for even a short time your pension will be stopped for that period.

I have a French acquaintance living near me, he has his Army Pension sent through different channels than a bank, he tries to hide the fact that he has even been living in VN for the past 12 yrs, ( hence no Fakebook for him ), he has all his mail, etc, sent to his mothers in France, but now with these Bio Passports you couldn't get away with anything like that, ( and probably neither will he be able to, after he renews his passport)

Found a news item regarding pensions for those of us living overseas.
You can be out of the country for 26 weeks and still get pension but only if you have lived in Oz for 25 years.
Next year this will change to 35 years.

No good for me. I have Oz and NZ passports and first came to Oz on 1964, have a house in Oz but do not live in either country so I am stuffed.

Thanks for that.
Nice to know our government looks after us, when we could just as easily have stayed home, bludged on them for the dole and said "Thanks".
Those of us who got out, did our own thing and made our own way without asking for their help are stupid I guess.
I look at it this way- I didnt bother them for the dole-I left and exported Aussie expertise to other countries by selling my services.Then I get hurdles put up when I ask for my ENTITLEMENT
Doesnt pay- better to be a bludger.
Know what to do next life!

stumpy wrote:

Found a news item regarding pensions for those of us living overseas.
You can be out of the country for 26 weeks and still get pension but only if you have lived in Oz for 25 years.
Next year this will change to 35 years.

No good for me. I have Oz and NZ passports and first came to Oz on 1964, have a house in Oz but do not live in either country so I am stuffed.

I'm in the same boat, but I'm just ' young ' enough to return to NZ and get a job,LOL, and work for the next 5- 10 yrs, ( in which time they will no doubt increase the pension age to 70 ), then to find out the same as you , cannot take the pension out of NZ either.