Looking to move to Turkey in 2014, need some advice

merhaba, I'm an American currently looking to make a move to Turkey sometime in 2014. I'm very diverse in my professional background.  I have over 20 years experience working for lawyers/attorneys, I have my TESOL/TEFOL Certificate.  but I am currently getting a degree in Organizational and Executive Coaching as well as HR. I was wondering if anyone knows how much of a demand there is in Turkey for coaching and HR. also if you know of any companies that are looking for someone with that kind of background that would be great. My  other question is that my grandmother was Turkish and I'm not sure if I can obtain the citizenship through her. Does anyone know if this is possible?

teşekkür ederim

Hi,

If you speak good Turkish then it's possible to land a job related to your field. If you don't know this language then you can teach english or be a tour guide.

For the jobs you're looking for try the following sites >

Yenibiris: Lots of good quality, professional jobs. This is where I would start my Turkish job search.
Kariyer: One of the top job search websites in Turkey. I don't like all the moving banner ads though…kinda distracting.
Learn 4 Good: This site tends to be geared towards teaching jobs, but I've seen jobs posted in other sectors as well.
Iskur: The Turkish employment agency.
Career Jet: I'm sure you've heard of Career Jet. They have job search options for Turkey.
Indeed: The Turkish version of the big U.S. job search site Indeed.com.
Craigslist: Craigslist is the most well known classifieds site on the web. They have a Turkish page.
Secret CV: This site has the best name of any job site I've ever seen. The job listings are just as cool as the name of the site.
Adecco Employment Consutancy
MichealPage Employment Agency

Concerning the citizenship you'll have to go to the police/immigration division office where your grandmother was born & sort that out with her Kimlik/ID. Maybe a relative can enquire aabout it to see if it's possible or not.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it

İ agree with YogitaD. Knowing Türkçe is the first step of survival here in Turkey as most locals doesn't speak and/or understand english. İf you have the Tesol/TOeFL cert., u can try teaching english, native english teachers are very in demand here and i heard it pays well. Having said u have both of the above, you'll be fine here in turkey. Good luck! :)

Thank you both for your responses. I'm currently taking Turkish courses at my local Turkish Cultural center and learning it at home. I've taught before and I'm not good at it but we'll see. I hope all goes well and I can make it there in a few months. :)

Thank you again!

Hi Mems
Good luck! And congrats on your turkish (already!)

Hello Meems,

First of all you need to have a decision which city you would like to move.
There are some big cities a foreigner can easily find a job. Istanbul, Ankara, Izmır and Bursa are these cities. For example here in my city there are lots of foreigners and most of them have good jobs ( and salaries ) to live in Turkey.
In other hand, if your grandmother still alive then it would be easier to get citizenship but if she's not alive then it would be a little hard to get it as i know.

I can try to help all of your questions as a native of Turkey :) Good luck...

[Moderated: please post in the Jobs in Turkey section]