"Sociedad Anonima"...Checks & Balances.....

After doing some research, i've decided to attempt forming a sociedad anonima on an agricultural bussiness initiavte in the Veraguas Province. That said, I'd appreciate any guidance on the following questions:

1. Are abogados credentialed? Seems anyone can be a "Licenciado" these days. What should i be looking for credentialwise when speaking to a "lawyer?"

2. Do lawyer fees differ between those in the city and those in the interior? if so, what is considered a reasonable fee for obtaining the S.A.?

3. The interior "lawyer" I spoke to mentioned several visits required to the ciudad due visiting the "registro civil" to make sure the name doesn't already exists and several other issues related to city travel. Any tips of wisdom on this?

Thanks...

Cheers!

H

Hi,
I am in Volcan, was living in Miami and decided to bring my family to live in Panama, where I was originally born and went to law school. I work in Miami as a Foreign Law Consultant for international law firms and gave me a better insight of international law and local law so I can share my insight.

Answering our questions, attorneys here need to go to Law school for at less 5 years to get a degree, however they don't need to be members of the Bar Association to practice, only to litigate.

2. The Bar Association has a list of rates to charge for services, and is a good reference to avoid been overcharge for a service. Prices are different, new attorneys could give you a lower rate and will work for non complex services, or if they have good references they can offer you the same service than an older attorney or a big firm.

3.To create a S.A you will need to pay a yearly fee and the attorney need to be the resident, so he will be charging you another fee every year to offer you that service. The government will charge more fees so you need to clarify if the rate you receive include those or not.

5.Registro civil most properties can be checked online on their web site.
Attorneys charge extra fees when they need to work on a due diligence on a different city.

6. Selecting an English speaking attorney will make your search easier, then look for experience and referral.

Great reply pkpanama:

Quick question - is the fee's for services's available to the public? If so where? If not how can I get a copy of it?

Thanks
Richard

I saw a website which provides the service starting at $850.00

http://www.lopezmoralesychiari.com/soci … ama.0.html

HI

THIS IS THE LINK FOR LEGAL FEES, TO USE AS A GUIDE.

http://news.cna-panama.com/p/tarifas.html

The rates look pretty adequate...I guess by knowing the standards of this guide could give one the edge of asking under what pretense would a lawayer charge more? Thanks....

H