[Interviews] Ken in Indonesia

Hi,

This week in the Interviews section, we invite you to meet Ken.

American journalist, Ken left the US in 2010 to travel the world. He lived in Costa Rica, Croatia and Sicily before settling in Batam, Indonesia:
https://www.expat.com/en/interview/122_ … nesia.html

Best,

Julie

One correction please:

Question:

"Did you have to apply to a specific visa or permit to be able to live and work in Indonesia?"

Answer:

"A work permit is required in Indonesia, which was supplied and paid for by my employer. The permit, called a KITAS, is for one year and costs about $1,200, plus the cost of hiring someone to handle the paperwork."

A work permit is NOT a KITAS.  A KITAS is a temporary residency visa which is required in addition to a work permit in order for a foreigner to be legally employed in Indonesia.

The KITAS visa costs US $650.00 per year which is in addition to the $100.00 per month fee for the IKTA (working permit).  In the Province of Bali the IKTA now costs US $200.00 a month, or $2,400.00 a year (on top of the KITAS visa fee).

Sorry to be picky, but it seems nobody ever get this right on this forum.

I get it right but I'm clever as well as handsome.
Perhaps you are as well.

:lol:

A common belief about Indonesia which wasn't right:That living in a Muslim culture is dangerous for Westerners.

The western press shoves that bull so it's nice to see a reporter find out the truth.

"The western press shoves that bull so it's nice to see a reporter find out the truth."

Ain't that the truth Fred!  In fact, it's appalling just how much truth can be found within that statement.

While I would never go so far as to consider it as an excuse, the fear mongering and mind blowing lies spread by cable news networks and talk radio in OZ and the US seems to me to almost be a somewhat legitimate reason for radical groups here, such as the FPI.  Aside from the BBC, and Al Jazeera, both of which steadfastly adhere to the sound principles of journalism, I don't follow much news coming out of the UK or EU.   

If freedom of speech doesn't mean that you can yell “FIRE” in a crowded movie theater when there is no fire, then how is it that freedom of speech extends to these cable networks (like Fox) and the endless talking heads (buffoons in reality) on talk radio?

I patiently lie in wait for the day that the likes of Sean Hannity and any of his cadre of dumb blond Barbie dolls venture to Bali as a tourist.  Please God, just give me two minutes with any of them.

One set of idiots encourage the other.
Lies on Fox, CNN and other crap networks activate extremism in the west and, in turn, that extremist sets the other side of the coin going.

The whole ruddy lot is manufactured by a few idiots.

"The whole ruddy lot is manufactured by a few idiots."

It doesn't bother me a bit to mention the name which is top on that list...Rupert Murdoch.

There was a day when journalism was an honored profession.  What do you think the chances are that we'll ever see that day again?

Sadly agree on the mainstream media, Thankfully we have a lot of different news and chat channels now, so easier to find some sensible opinion

Who has time for Fox news anyway?

Back in UK at the moment and everyone seems to be watching strictly come dancing and I'm a celebrity, so definitely not much time for the news! I'm extra happy my home is in Indonesia where I can avoid the mainstream pap, ;)