Bring 4 cats into PR

What kind of hassle is it to bring 4 cats into PR? I am thinking again of coming there.

Hi Sasha Cady,

As your post was actually off topic, i created a new discussion with it on the Puerto Rico forum for more visibility and for more interaction. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Get in touch with the USDA in PR and find out what you need to do. Usually it's just a general health certificate and shots record from the Vet 10 days before you arrive. Also check which airlines will allow them as checked baggage and how much they charge. It would be very expensive if you have to send them as cargo.

Thank you. I got a vet who says some airlines will let you put them under your seat (pet carriers can be found in the right dimensions for that). But it is hard to imagine finding passengers who would agree to allow tranquillized cats in cages under their seats. That's the only way they would travel. They are so shy and frightened of everything. One is 18 lbs! He would be crammed in a carrier. The luggage area has been known to produce dead pets at the end of a flight from freezing cold, low oxygen and whatever. This, and finding a place for us in PR is what is stopping me. It will be so traumatic for my shy old cats. I'll need to be tranquillized by the end of a flight like that, too.

When I moved here eight years ago I brought three cats.  You just need to follow airline regulations--innoculations current, a comfortable case for each, and pay their fares.  There is no customs ot immigration when flying from the states (same country so an internal flight).  Sometimes airlines will not take animals especially if it is too hot or too cold.

You will probably be allowed to bring one cat on the plane with you. It will count as one of your carry on bags and probably cost about $125. It must be in a certain size carrier and be able to fit in the space under the seat in front of you. The others will have to go as checked baggage and I'm not sure of the cost.

Of my three cats one travelled under my seat.  She was quiet the whole trip.   The other two went as check-ins, and they get off loaded specially before luggage.

Just understand that there are risks to bringing your animals on a plane with you. Not all baggage handlers are animal lovers and some just don't plain give a crap about your pet. Even the Airlines that offer guarantees can't be completely trusted. Recently a a woman lost her dog due to the heat. The dog was always supposed to have been kept in an air conditioned section during flight and transfer on the ground. It just so happened that this dog was left on the tarmac with a bunch of luggage for a few hours in the sun and died from the heat. Having said that, you can't let isolated incidents stop you from travelling with your pets. So you do the very best you can in making your preparations for them. I've personally helped ship numerous dogs from PR to the states without incident.