Libyan Football

Has anyone been to a Libyan 1st Div football match and if so what was it like, worth going etc?

Its OK, they do make you feel welcome as a foreigner. Stay away from the ends and remain neutral.
It's tactically a bit like schoolboy football. The ball goes to one side, 20 players run after it.
You'll probably only go one or twice, the novelty wears off after a while, well it did me.

Keep away from the big derby matches though, it gets a bit dodgy.

Oh, and whatever you do, do not, under any circumstances go to the toilet.

Thanks for the info. I am used to Scottish 1st/2nd div so it sounds like slighty better standard.

Due out in June so may go to a couple after the world cup

Airdrie Diamond wrote:

Thanks for the info. I am used to Scottish 1st/2nd div so it sounds like slighty better standard.

I was tempted to say something about Scottish football but decided against it.:D

Flasher wrote:
Airdrie Diamond wrote:

I was tempted to say something about Scottish football but decided against it.:D

Just as well you didn't :mad::lol: If you want to go to the Tripoli derby my Airdrie friend let me know, think of the old filth derby but more fun :D

Got your ÄBE t-shirts for the WC yet ?

Sounds like a plan, anything has got to be better than the old filth. We can have a sweep stake for Englands first match to see when 1966 is first mentioned by Motson. I'll go for 42 second of match begining :lol:

Clansman wrote:
Flasher wrote:
Airdrie Diamond wrote:

Just as well you didn't :mad::lol: If you want to go to the Tripoli derby my Airdrie friend let me know, think of the old filth derby but more fun :D

Flasher wrote:

Got your ÄBE t-shirts for the WC yet ?

Nah they had sold out prior to me getting here (honestly) :lol:

Aye Airdrie, the atmosphere at the Tripoli derby is unbelievable, 80,000 fans going NUTS.

i'm beyond Benghazi and will make the effort to get to a couple of games there if possible - Having visited new Broomfield as a visiting fan I don't think the Section B(enghazi) will phase me too much ;-)

Picked up a local "Al Ahli" replica strip in Benghazi for the princely sum of 10LYD so souvenirs very affordable . . . and they come in size XFB . . . proper chinese Adidas !

What about the national team? I know they aren't one of the African powerhouses but it would be interesting to go to one of their games and support them for 2014 WC qualification or African Cup of Nations. Maybe we can even get together and go support them as an expat group. I am sure the locals would really appreciate and welcome our gesture. Just a thought!

I'm up for that if there's a group going :-)

talking of which are there any other TA lads here who might be heading for Euro2012 qualifiers ?

Not sure how my kilt would go down at the airport ;-)

LibyanJag wrote:

I'm up for that if there's a group going :-)

talking of which are there any other TA lads here who might be heading for Euro2012 qualifiers ?

Not sure how my kilt would go down at the airport ;-)

Yup a fellow TA member here plus wife who is also in the TA. Will let you know how the kilt goes down at the airport if I get to the one and only Hibs match in Europa league qualifiers :lol: