Making Friends in Bergen

Hi,

In the process of moving to Bergen and would really like to meet some new people and make some new friends to make my move a little less scary!!

Any friendly people out there??

Words of wisdom for settling in much appreciated too...

Takk
(one of about 10 Norwegian words I know so far!! lol)

Hi Karen!
I'm not in Bergen yet... but my Norwegian partner and I (both female) are planning to move there in about 16 months and I also want to make friends to make the move less scary! :)

We'll be there this summer for several weeks just for a visit, and I'm hoping to meet up with some people and start building a community.

I realize that isn't immediately helpful to you -- but at least you can know you aren't the only one!

Where are you moving from?

We currently live in Vancouver, Canada. I'm Canadian, but actually have spent only 12 years (out of my total 35) in Canada. I grew up in Toronto and several European countries, and then lived in different parts of the U.S. from when I was 18-31. And now... getting psyched up for another big move. :)

Peace,
Yael

Hi Karen,

I also have a Norwegian husband and a 4 month old daughter - we're here for the summer to see if we'd like to stay permanently (my husband is from Bergen). I'm Finnish but have lived in London for 10 years. It'd be great to meet up to see if we click - it would be nice to meet new people.

Miia

Hi Karen,

I have only recently moved to Bergen a few weeks ago with my Norwegian partner!

It's not the easiest to make friends but at least most of the people here speak English!

Feel free to contact me for a coffee or beer!

To all of you, new members of Expat.com, let me wish you a warm welcome on Expat.com! :)

Please feel free to browse the forum for useful tips, the Guide and the Classifieds (menu on the lefthand side of the page).

Have a nice day (or night?) further
Arlette

hi karen!

i also moved here to bergen with my husband temporarily (we are here until feb next year, then  back to gemany) ... i have lots of free time to spare. care to meet also?

Hi Karen,
My name is Kiritahi im moving to Bergen to live for a year with another NZ relative who married a Norwegian man.  Id be happy to go out for coffee some time.  Im currently trying to secure employment in Bergen during my stay.

Hi Karen!
Another recent resident in Bergen letting you know that you're far from alone. I live here with my fiancee and am a visiting researcher at the University. I'm originally from New York but have also lived in South Africa off and on. Where are you from and how are you finding Bergen? Would definitely love to meet for coffee/tea discuss experiences pointers etc.

Helsing fra meg :)
some of the 5 words i know. hehehe
Nafeesa

Hi Karen,

IŽm gonna be there next monday, then will be a pleasure to know you and take a coffe, I really want to know people there.

Take care

[email protected]

Antonio

Hi everyone here!
We're in Bergen visiting family this week (actually for the past 2 weeks as well... and this week is more 'friends' week than family). We're planning to move here next year (fall 2011, maybe a little sooner). If anyone wants to have a little expat meet-up sometime this week, reply! Maybe something like Wednesday late afternoon/early evening at a cafe?
-Yael

hello we from spanish and maybe go to sleep bergen two nigth . we need cheap price hostal or house only for vacation ..please if you know any place tell me something..e-  mail [email protected]

we are vist bergen 24 aug 2010 to 25 or 26 all depend interesting place we are two boys ... thank kiss ricardo

Hello Ricardocaba, you should have a look at Bergen's classifieds -> Holiday rentals or even insert an ad yourself.
Hope this helps!

Hi to all those living in or visiting Bergen,

Was thinking of arranging a get together this Wednesday 4th August for coffee / drinks. Anyone interested? Probably meet around 2 - 3pm as have Norwegian school at 5.30pm.

Let me know who would like to come along and we can arrange a meeting place.

Karen

Hi Karen,
I could do it at 2 but have plans to meet a friend at 4-ish.
But that would be fun! Let's do it, folks!
-Yael

Cool lets make it 2pm and hopefully we can get a bit of a gang of us!!

I think Nafeesa is interested, too! And my partner Birgitte will probably come.

Who else, y'all? :)

Hi guys¡¡¡¡

IŽm in Bergen, I just to arrived, if someone want to meet, let me know please.

chao

Hi all!
So, Karen, since you started the idea of meeting tomorrow, can you suggest a location?
I'll be in a meeting from 10am and so I won't have email access after about 9am tomorrow. If you could reply between now and tomorrow morning at 9 with the location, I'll be happy to show up!
Peace,
Yael

Hi Yael

Let's meet at the Ole Bull statue outside the Radisson at 2pm. I will message you my mobile number in case you have any problems.

Any others that would like to tag along are very welcome. See you tomorrow

Karen

OK! See you there! Come one, come all!

Hi everyone! how is Bergen treating you all? I am 99% moving to Bergen and trying to get my ducks in a  row..... flat sorted (fiancé already here) job.... ongoing! friends... ongoing!

Hope all is going well! London is very fresh and blue today - makes a change!
x

Hi Fi! Welcome to Bergen... :)

Thanks Yael! not quite there yet but almost!!

how did the drink go all?

It was really fabulous! A group of funny, interesting women! I'm looking forward to the move so I can hang out with them again. :)

Hi all! Although I am originally norweigan I have lived my whole life abroad mostly in spain and the UK.. I moved to bergen for a new job with boyfriend but dont know many people here.. Am interested in meeting new people!! How about setting up a day to meet at a cafe or something where whoever is interested can join?
Camilla

hey Camilla,

yes sure, tell me when, I usually work in the morning, ten IŽm free in the afternoon also evening. let me know when,

bueno supongo que hablas español.

Hablamos. chao

Hi,
I'm not new to Bergen, but always interested in meeting new english speaking people.
Have you organised another meeting?

Yesss, wait not, just leave a date and place

Hi all,

i am also moving to Bergen and planning to be there in November.
i would be so happy to meet new poeple.

i'm keen for a coffee too!

Hi everyone,

A few of us meet up quite regularly now so next time we meet for coffee I'll post the details on here. It will probably be over the next few weeks although I am in the UK at the moment and won't be back till next week. Is everyone free to do daytime?

I hope you are all settling in. I think it is daunting moving to a new place but having made some lovely friends already it has made it so much easier.

Hope to meet up with you all soon

Karen :)

hi karen, im moving to Bergen in the spring and would love to meet up with you guys at some point, my husband is norweigian and we have two children. im nervous about the move as leaving behind a great network of friends and as you know when you have kids its important to get out the house and meet people.
hope to hear from you.  michaela

Hi Michaela and others,
I'm in a similar boat -- we're moving to Bergen in 2011 and I'm not yet sure when. I'm hoping that I get a particular academic job I have applied for, in which case the move would be in the Spring. Otherwise probably in the Fall. But when my partner and I visited Bergen (where she's from) this past December we met up with Karen, Gierde, Nina, Nafeesa and Lisa and it was fabulous -- I'm actually more excited than nervous to move now. :)
-Yael

Haha, Yael it makes me chuckle to think of that afternoon in the bar where we all met up for the first time - such a "loud" bunch of women!! And what good fun!!

I'm trying to organising us to start climbing mountains at the weekends together to get fit because all our Norwegian partners are all looking at us like we're mad!!

Anyway, Michaela, I look forward to meeting you in the spring. It is a huge thing to move to another country but you've done the right thing by looking for contacts early. It will make it so much easier.

Feel free to message me if you need any advice I'm sure one of us ladies will be able to help

Karen :)

thanks guys, really looking forward to meeting up, and thanks for making me feel so welcome.:)

Just to add to the great feedback everyone has been giving.. hi Michaela and everyone esle! As Karen and Yael have said it has been really wonderful to meet these great women and have someone to hang out with, talk to, vent to ..hehehe. Moving is challenging and they have truly made my experience here easier. Though these walks up the mountain might make my legs cry! LOL...
Seriously, a warm welcome from me.. I look forward to meeting you guys who haven't yet joined us and hanging out here in Bergen!! To those who haven't yet arrived, good luck with packing! :)
Nafeesa

When are you getting together again? I would love to join in on this!
Melanie

me too! i arrive at the end of this month! x

And Me too! :)
I am in Bergen since 29th of October.

Ok, well since no one else is initiating a get together, I'd like to meet you all, so if we wait until Fi gets here, and then we can all meet up?

Is day time or evening better?