Are Things Getting Serious?...Indonesia vs Australia?

Now into its fourth day, the crisis resulting from the Snowden released documents proving that the same kind of spying the US was accused of on Germany also occurred by Australia against Indonesia is heating up.

Australia refuses to apologize, and some groups in Indonesia are calling for outright war against Australia.

As the largest and most economically sound ASEAN country, and G-20 member, Indonesia seems to me to only be looking for some “face saving” that only OZ can offer, yet Australia is steadfastly refusing to offer any sort of formal apology.   

This crisis has a very good chance of getting worse for OZ, as it seems that OZ has additional Asian and SE Asian countries on it “target list” for spying.  This particular development is “raw news” and the implications of OZ being caught red handed spying on multiple Asian/SE Asian countries beyond Indonesia (its closest neighbor) is highly significant, and with vast implications for regional stability.     

While I personally doubt that any of this could develop into military action of any sort, the economic implications are vast…and, if the rumors bear out (other ASEAN, SE Asian and Asian countries were also target by OZ) which is highly plausible, (almost certain), then it is OZ which stands to potentially suffer the most.

Does it really hurt to say, “sorry” all that much and work hard to putting this to bed?

I'm not too concerned at this point about the powers that be but I am a tad concerned about the powers that want to be.
We see the FPI getting in on the act and they're only at it because they see a chance at some sort of legitimacy before the elections.

Oh look at us, we managed to make the Australians back down so you should vote for us, or
Oh look at us, we told the Australians where to go so you should vote for us
That and those sort of people are very likely to go for revenge attacks against anyone who night be Australian.

are things getting serious?

i have no idea, when vice President went to Aussie in an event and someone asked the situation between Australia vs Indonesia, he answered politely, not focus that situation better we focus in positive relationship.

and yeah, i dont think so, would be military in action, seeing case of Indonesia with a neighbour country (no need to mention), like it passed just like wind, not getting too serious tho.

"are things getting serious?"

Check the newspapers and local TV news. 

Fred, that's an excellent point and one which Australia should fully appreciate, as after all, it is equally to their advantage that the FPI has as little political influence as possible, as it is to Indonesia.

The point you raise should be a strong incentive for OZ to just “man up” and repeat “ma'af ma'af” a dozen or so times.

Ubudian wrote:

The point you raise should be a strong incentive for OZ to just “man up” and repeat “ma'af ma'af” a dozen or so times.

Australia has been caught with its pants down.
We all know this stuff goes on all the time but that's hardly the point.

When you're nabbed, you should be a man and maaf.

Death to infidels
One wonders if this lot are daft enough to start attacking foreigners in the street, after all, a couple of their head cases have already murdered some policemen.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/jak … indonesia/

http://img.thejakartaglobe.com/2013/11/03960685_preview-1024x682.jpg

I do believe that the anger felt by Indonesians is genuine. The message sent out by Indo gov. is clear, we feel diplomatically betrayed by the spying. But seriously, every so often when these religious extremists decide step in and join the 'action', shouting god is great while displaying violent behaviors, it pretty much robs everyone of the sincerity of the objection itself. 

Seeing pictures like the one above always angers me more than the real issue behind the protests.

Makes a change from the USA flag being burned. But it does sounds all bit silly. I think the Indonesian government needs to stop the aggression in the demonstrations and then actively seek to solve the crisis rather than build up political walls against a very strong supportive neighbour, otherwise it could lead to alienation of Indonesia down the road and that would harm it no end.

However, I am wondering if the current leaders in Indonesia are capable of solving this both internally and with Australia.

lukereg wrote:

Makes a change from the USA flag being burned. But it does sounds all bit silly. I think the Indonesian government needs to stop the aggression in the demonstrations and then actively seek to solve the crisis rather than build up political walls against a very strong supportive neighbour, otherwise it could lead to alienation of Indonesia down the road and that would harm it no end.

However, I am wondering if the current leaders in Indonesia are capable of solving this both internally and with Australia.

Look at the picture again, old glory is BBQ fuel.

The Australian government really must apologise without delay as this is the only way this'll calm down in short order.
The longer they refuse, acting like cowards, the worse this will get.

Yes, we know spies are always doing their thing but, when caught, they should make like a man, not a moody schoolgirl, in need of a change of tampon.

Ah yes, Oops.

I am sure the Australians will apologise when they consider the time is right. In reality how much do the Australians need Indonesian support and vice versa?

The problem could well escalate as the flag burners look for someone to vent their anger on.

Our PM needs to harden up and 'fess up. The spying was not of his doing so a simple sorry would have been enough a few days ago, but the longer he remains silent the bigger the problem becomes.

When he was leader of the opposition he was known for putting his foot in his mouth so now as PM he has gone the opposite way. He cannot afford to do that now with any world leaders.

There will be no 'war' between Indonesia or Oz as such , but there could well be a financial war with disastrous consequences for both countries.

The right time to apologize is sooner rather than later.

There are hundreds of millions of dollars in trade between the two countries at stake here.

lukereg wrote:

Ah yes, Oops.

I am sure the Australians will apologise when they consider the time is right. In reality how much do the Australians need Indonesian support and vice versa?

Indonesia is one of the largest importers of Aussie meat and wheat products and livestock, and then the fact that OZ has strong ties with Indonesian education market and is a very popular destination for Indonesian students to live and study. That's a huge boost to OZ economy right there. And also OZ has been working closely with Indo to clamp down on the seemingly endless flow of illegal immigrants trying to reach their shore.

OZ also imports a lot of valuable Indo commodities such as quality rice, coffee, rubber, tea, palm oil, spices etc.

“I am sure the Australians will apologise when they consider the time is right.”

Luke, I think the “time has been right for the past three days. 

And, the plot thickens…

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nationa … 766467143#

The 'right' time passed a week ago, that is as soon as the spying was made public. That was the time for him to be proactive and nip it in the bud. Instead he chooses to be reactive and sit on his hands.

Tony Abbot has sent a letter to SBY but is very tight lipped on the contents of the said letter.

I hope the Indonesian newspapers make known the contents of the letter before Tony does which will be more losing of face for him. To me he is ignorant of how things work in Asia.

He also is now realizing how hard it is to be PM and not just the negative speaking leader of the opposition.

IMHO, excellent contributions to this thread Ken...your candid and honest thoughts are much appreciated.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- … 9473.story

Just what I expected ...

That was on the cards.
No shock.

Let's just hope that there is no breakdown in sharing vital intelligence regarding plausible terrorist threats. 

The more I think about this and all of its potential ramifications, Australia is looking pretty ridiculous and irresponsible.

i think this like drama sir.. hehehege

You might be right!  For certain the whole affair seems to have evaporated into thin air.

Ubudian wrote:

You might be right!  For certain the whole affair seems to have evaporated into thin air.

It has reared it's ugly head again. Seems there is more going on about the Oz navy entering Indonesian waters and using lifeboats to send people back to Indonesia. Also something brewing about USA and Oz spying on Indonesia. 

The Indonesian govt have stated that relations between the two countries has taken a retrograde step and will not be fixed in the short term.

We have a pigheaded PM here in Oz who is far from being the diplomat that he thinks he is and he won't back down or even meet halfway on issues such as this. 

Riots on Manus Island PNG refugee camp over the last 2 nights have resulted in 1 death and a lot of injuries. 

So prepare for more.

I've read conflict management. to cover the conflict you have to create a new conflict. I think all is set up just like making movies sir.

stumpy wrote:

using lifeboats to send people back to Indonesia..

The lifeboats are a bit of a bonus.
I'll bet the local fishermen love their free new boats.