Any experience at the Libyan Customs?

import duties? tariff? lots of paperwork and long queue?

I'm thinking of buying a German satellite HD set top. The one I have now is ancient!

Is it an economic way to buy online and have products sent to Libya?

Thank you for sharing any information.

I use Aramex shop and ship to import CD's DVD's and many other items which don't weigh much. The rates and charges are reasonable and I've never been hit for any import duties.

Look here:

ARAMEX SHOP & SHIP

BTW....why would you want to bring in a German decoder to Libya?

There are 000's of cracked decoders (i.e. unlocked) available in Libya although nothing HD capable just yet. But I reckon that within 6 months there will be several HD models available, all with HDMI outputs.

thank you Sandman6.
guess I shall visit the "forest of dishes" again and check out if there are good decoders.

About the best I've found so far is one of the StarSat models, it has an ancient SCART output (but that's still better than the RCA L/R audio & video) and also a USB for easy flashing.

Every HDMI cable I've seen is made there but I guess the box makers and the cable makers never sit down together for a chat?

Thanks again.
Civilian use of satellite TV is illegal in China. This might be a reason.

Sandman6 wrote:

About the best I've found so far is one of the StarSat models, it has an ancient SCART output (but that's still better than the RCA L/R audio & video) and also a USB for easy flashing.

WTF are the Chinks thinking of? Every HDMI cable I've seen is made there but I guess the box makers and the cable makers never sit down together for a chat?

Before you start spewing more racist BS, go take a look at the satellite shops on Gurgi.  They are selling HD decoders in at least one of the shops.  They had a pile of 20-30.  It is a nice little Echolink box that has a USB port to plug in a hard drive and record shows (DVR functionality).

Nilsat has five HD channels.  Two of them are Al Jazeera sports channels that will carry world cup coverage.  Better pick one up quick so you can watch England get eliminated in style again.

thank you for your information.

called the DHL office today and ....outrageous SHIT !!!
Libyan customs duties for a 2 kg satellite receiver package imported from Germany with the dimensions 30cm x 30cm x 20cm is 257 LYD!

I called OSN Showtlast week, they told me you you can't get the OSN HD channels without an official OSN box. None on the market here yet though.
I have JSC HD1 working though but will need to subscribe for WC coverage.

Flasher wrote:

I called OSN Showtlast week, they told me you you can't get the OSN HD channels without an official OSN box. None on the market here yet though.
I have JSC HD1 working though but will need to subscribe for WC coverage.

Thanks for the information.  I have JSC HD1 working here. JSC HD2 doesn't appear to be HD feed.  The JSC world cup channel appears to be SD, but I understand they will broadcast some games on the HD station.  Haven't looked into Show yet, but based on the leaflet I received the HD channels will be osn movies hd, discovery HD, and nat geo hd.

I could get the test card on HD2 a while back but nothing nowadays.

Premier League is going to Abu Dhabi Sports in August, hopefully we'll be able to buy the cards locally soon.

Can't get any of these to open either
http://www.lyngsat.com/hd/ab4a.html