Moving furniture and a CPF number

I was wondering if I could get some info on moving furniture from the US to Belo, such as, do I need a CPF before I "send" my furniture or can I obtain it once we get there and still have no problems receiving our shipment? Thanks.

Unless your future employer is going to pay for the move; or your furniture consists of rare antiques it is simply too expensive to ship anything that you can't box up and bring on the plane as excess baggage. In the end it will be much cheaper to buy everything new here. Another consideration is that if you do ship your things are going to be tied up in Customs here until THEY decide to release them, and here that can take ages.

While you can apply for a CPF number through the Brazilian Consulate you won't need one to ship furniture and it is much more expedient to apply for your CPF here in Brazil. You can do so at any post office, Banco do Brasil or directly with the Receita Federal.

Any further questions please post them directly on the Brazil Forum.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Hi Melodynava,

Welcome to Expat.com.

Please note that I moved your post on the Belo Horizonte forum for better visibility and interaction.

Thank you and good luck,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Melodynava,

Avoid applying for a CPF at the Consulate. It is a crime in my opinion. They charge $20USD for something that costs less than R$5.00 here. Not to mention you have to wait two months or longer to get it. If you apply at the Receita Federal you will have it in a matter of minutes (that is not including the waiting time in line).

Matt-

Hi almost 2 years ago I moved a huge 40' container from NY to brazil. It is extremely expensive and you have to evaluate the worth of the items or your particular needs/tastes which you may not get in brazil. My CPF number I got here in brazil and it's cheap and simple and took about 20 minutes at the post office If you fly to brasil before your shipment arrives in brasil you have plenty of time to get your CPF and Advise your movers.

Our stuff arrived in brazil in the regular time of 2 months, cleared customs quickly but our agent missed one critical document (which may have been on purpose) and our stuff stayed in an expensive "purgatory" waiting status which cost thousands more and lasted an additional month. Btw we used Confianca. Do not use them. A friend used Fastway and everything went well.

Good luck

http://infinityperformingarts.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/welcome.gifHi lingcdesign,

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team, welcome on board. I hope your participation on the forum will be both enjoyable and informative.

A very special thankyou for your most VALUABLE input on this subject. I'm sure it will be of great assistance to anyone thinking of shipping their household belongings to Brazil.

My advice is unless your future employer is picking up the cost of shipping it is probably better to sell everything or donate it, buy all new here in Brazil. Unless of course you have priceless antiques or belongings of great sentimental value that you just can't part with.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team