How's work life & safety for indian in nigeria

Hi anu

lagos is safe barring some incidences. If he is been hired by an indian company than usually they provide accomdation. if you are doing on own then take some where in ikeja as it is safer than other parts.

Hi Guys, can anyone throw me some light on a company called Sumeru Infotech if you know, and the company is located in - Surulere,Lagos,
They are providin -
Accomodation,
car with driver,
Maid, Gas and Electricity expenses

Also is it good for Vegetarians!!

Thanks for your help. Cheers

Regards,
Twin79

Hi,
I too have got an oppourtunity by Platinum Corporation to work at Lagos (as an accountant), Could anyone please guide about the place and credentials of the company..?

Please help..!!
Thanks

Amar (Kolkata)

Dear members,

This thread is dated.. 2010 ;)

Feel free to start a new topic with all your questions on the Lagos Forum for better visibility please :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

not heard much of Sumeru infotech but if they are paying local allowance aprat from what you mentioned it is good deal. see that you get your salary in dollars which is good.

Many indians stay in surulere it is no issue good place to live.

regards
briju

cost of living 2013

Cost of living in Nigeria chart (prices in Nigerian Naira and based on Lagos, 2013)

Food and drink

Milk (1 litre) 437 NGN
Rice (1kg) 1,084 NGN
Loaf of white bread 283 NGN
Eggs (dozen) 524 NGN
Apples (1kg) 1,100 NGN
Potatoes (1kg) 420 NGN
Chicken (skinless breasts) 1,730 NGN
Mineral water (1.5 litre) 157 NGN
Bottle of wine 1,900 NGN
Beer (500ml local) 300 NGN

Utilities

Basic utilities per month (electricity, gas, water) 22,500 NGN
One minute call on mobile phone (pre-paid) 27 NGN
Internet (monthly average plan) 14,960 NGN

Fitness and entertainment

Gym membership (per month) 22,600 NGN
Cinema ticket 1,572 NGN
Cigarettes 400 NGN

Hi Nims,

Thank you for your contribution :)

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi . I got a offer from lagos.i want to know the working environment and can i bring my family i mean we can stay with family. Can anybody advise me

Hi chendragiri > have a look at other posts on this topic, you can get some info. Thanks

Dear members,

Greetings from Mumbai India. I was in Tanzania for 2 years and thoroughly enjoyed my stay there, now my spouse has got a job offer in Nigeria (lagos). I have read the past posts and replies here about Nigeria, but wish to know the latest updates as far as safety and life for an Indian expat is concerened in Lagos, Nigeria. I have 2 daughters, 11 and 8. Kindly guide me so that we can take a decision about taking the offer for lagos.

Dear Indian expats,
Like various contributors have said previously Lagos is safe or as safe as any capital city. The only place that is not safe is the oil regions which is Delta, Port Harcourt. Even these regions with all due respect the kidnappers don't want to kidnap Indians, Pakistanis etc that not where the money is. They target white Europeans or  Americans etc.

So please stop asking if Nigeria safe, if you don't want to go fine but the Indians I know living in Lagos have better standard live they would have in their home country. For more research go on LinkedIn you see group such as

iPEN: Indian Pharmaceutical Expats Of Nigeria or expats in Nigeria

How is work life and security for expat and family in and around lagos in Nigeria.

tbhargava wrote:

Hi Anu, The place is quite good. Safety .. well it is better to live with precautions than to be sorry afterwards.

The house part depends upon the package, some companies give a lumpsum, others break it down into perks. Overall package CTC is usually same as in other countries for a specific job, so you can calculate accordingly.

do we get INDIAN Tv channels In Lagos ?
thru DISH OR any other mode
what are items any one has to bring  when first time coming there ?(preference OR generally)

In which company u r oppointed.presently i am also working in musvat planing to relocate to lagos next month

platinum group. can u give ur numeber ,can we share some infomation, presently which dealer  r u working ?

Dear srinivas
Please give ur mail id or gsm

[email protected]

Hello,

I am Anandakumar from Tamilnadu and i got an offer to work in Nigeria(Burkina Faso)just tell me how far it is safety to work that area

Kindly tell me about the TriStar Electronics Pte Ltd.

Hello Anandakumar.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please refer to the messages on the above thread. I am sure that you'll obtain the answer to your question.

Thanks

Karen :)

Hi,

I have got an opportunity with a company named as Jotna group which is situated in Lagos, Nigeria.

Company is offering me Fully furnished flat, company vehicle, utility bills payment & maid payment. But asking me to come to the city with only 1,00,000NGN for daily needs & my daughter school fees will be reimbersed by company.

Could any one tell me about this group,

Safety of the colony in which they provide flat,

And the amount they are providing me to move forward, as Offshore is OK.

Awaiting earliest response.

Thanks,
Prashant.

JUST WATCH YOUR NIGHT MOVEMENT

AVOID TOO MUCH NIGHT OUTINGS

@ Eze234 -> Please avoid capslock on the forum, in order to facilitate the reading. Thanks. Karen :)

dear all,
i want to know is it safe to work in Lagos as i got an offer there from a trading firm in business development and sales.

Dear Mr. SrivinasJ

Pl. mail me on [email protected].

Amar (kolkata)

abhay 3885 wrote:

Hello Friends

I have been offered job in Platinum Corporation in Nigeria in their marketing segment. Does any one has any idea about the company and the place.

Thanks

Hi Abhay,
I have also got the offer from platinum corp, nigeria..
Pl. share me your cell no. & mail id's.

Hi
Everybody says you have to be alert and be careful of what? 

Do you take different roads to work every day, do you check the streets every day and note the cars parked on the street, when going to a mall do you suddenly change directions while walking to see who is following you, do you carefully inspect the people watching you, do you have a GPS/GSM alarm that sends your position to a a friends mobile number, do you have pepper spray with you!!

Have u been made aware that most of the risk is coming from your driver and maids/housekeepers!!  They talk to strangers who may pump them for info!!!

Keep safe

Hi Allanlr

Yes you have to be careful of how you treat your employees and try to avoid night outing especially in the areas like Ilupeju and Ikorodu

The drivers are given instructions to take different road say they change your route twice in a week this is done for the safety, this will help you, there is no such GSM/ GPS alert system here. Usually the nasty incidents happens when you are at isolated location, not much incidents happen in malls, dont worry we have never heard of the incident that a mall is taken over or they have captured mall like it happened in Nairobi, in that terms Nigeria is much safe in comparison to Nairobi. Secondly you will find lots of cars parked on street which is very common here, the kidnappers and robbers usually follow you from your work location not that they are waiting for you sitting in parked car.

Please it is advise to all the expatriates who come is to be humanly to their employees whether it is your housekeeper, driver and house helper as they can be the most loyal people if you keep them well and respect them, we have such a good staff who are very loyal to us because we treat them very nicely. You would be inviting trouble if you abuse them.

Hope this has solved your query

Hi Prashant

The company has good profile, and it is good deal if they are providing all the expense and if you are not much of kind that eats out then 100 K is enough in lagos, as eating at home is cheaper. This is what majority companies pay to their managers. Apart from this they pay your salary in dollar, round trip once a year or once every 18 month depends on company.

SO i think it is good offer, they are onto shipping, polymer business so it is good offer.

Hope for the best.

Dear bloggers.....

hi,i got a job parposal in lagos this month,and after having google whether it is safe or not to work in lagos,beleive me i got a headache,every 2nd man has their own precption,some said in lagos kidnnaping extortion done in a very heay manner,BUT tell me guys who went in lagos,HOWS THE LAGOS TO WORK WITH,I got a job offer from ARTEE GROUP,

PLEASE SEND URS HONEST FEEDBACK.

Hi Maneesh

The reply to your query is very straight if you are nice to people nothing happens. We are in Lagos from last 2 yrs, nothing such has happened to us or any one in our company barring one, and the reason behind that was simple, the manager was rude to the employees and he got lesson.

What you read in google is all hyped, i ask you are you that safe in india, women are much safe here than india. The security is in ur hand, if you are humble and treat Nigerians good nothing happens, let me tell you by my experience Nigerians are very happy and friendly people and if you mis treat them they get hurt and you invite trouble.

SO dont go by net, your are welcome here and like in india you have to be aware during festive seasons is same here.

Hope your query is solved. There is a say dont judge book by cover.

Regards,
Briju

Hi All
I will be arriving in Lagos in about 10-14 days. 
I would like to ask the following questions if possible, 
I have lived in India for 10 years and wonder if the RO machines that we use in India, are they available and if they are required? 
Is the vegetable shopping done in markets or supermarkets I used to love going to the markets in India to get the fresh veggies. 
To buy some meat is this done in a supermarket or butchery
Milk, Sugar, Coffee breakfast cereals tinned goods etc etc

Thanks for your help

Warm Regards
Allan

thanks a ton birju bhai....
iam so worried since i got the offer my all friends keep telling me that need to change the road daily because safety concerns are this happens there???

iam totally agree with you if we nice to everybody all we be supoortive and helpful,Your info was useful and iam feeling so relief..
birju is there any thing that i should keep in my mind???

thanks a ton again......

A young oil&gas firm in Nigeria is looking for an indian who has experience in marketing to lead her marketing department as an AGM sales&marketing any one interested to forward there CV&a letter of Application to [email protected] the person must be ready to resume on Wednesday 23rd Oct. 2013

hi

i am mugunthan from chennai, i got a job offer in nigeria company calles speedyprints ltd of 1000US DOLLARS,isit k, is the safe place to live with my family plz let me know someone abt the company, salary and security

Hi Maneesh

I am glad that information is helpful to you. Nothing much just be alert and all is fine, have good relation with your driver as he can either save you or can get you in trouble.

Try to memorize the roads, and be alert that you dont take lonely and narrow streets at night.

Regards,
Mrs. Briju

Dear friends let em correct this information about Cost of living in Nigeria chart (prices in Nigerian Naira and based on Lagos, 2013)

Food and drink

Milk (1 litre) 320 to 390 NGN
Rice (1kg) 2000/ 5kg for Royal Basmati rice, 700/KG for Uncle Sam NGN
Loaf of white bread 240 to 300 NGN
Eggs (dozen) 524 NGN
Apples (1kg) 1,100 NGN
Potatoes (1kg) 200 to 300 NGN
Chicken (skinless breasts) 1,730 NGN
Mineral water (1.5 litre) 157 NGN
Bottle of wine 900 to 5000 NGN
Beer Star or Heineken is 200 for 500 ml NGN

Utilities

Basic utilities per month (electricity, gas, water) 22,500 NGN
One minute call on mobile phone (pre-paid)7 to 25 NGN
Internet (monthly average plan) 14,960 NGN

Fitness and entertainment

Gym membership (per month) 22,600 NGN
Cinema ticket 1,572 to 2500 NGN

It is bit expensive in VI, Lekki and Ikoyi as compared to Ikeja, Ilupeju and Suruleru

Cigarettes 200 to 400 NGN

1000 us dollar is very low salary, apart from this you should be given local allowance and accommodation with free amenities

Hello, I have got an offer to work at Globacom (gloworld) at Lagos, Nigeria. They provide me the accomodation and transportation. How good and safe is Lagos for Indians. I am considering relocating with my family. My family is worried about the safety and security out there. Please help me understand.

Thanks
Sanju