Fishing

I was talking with a local Asian food mart owner here in Texas,
he said he admired the expat lifestyle in his home of Icolos Norte.
Expats waking in the morning to walk meters to the beach and surf fish, break for lunch and a nap, fish again in the afternoon, then maybe shoot the breeze at a local pub over a beer and watch some football in the evening.
Sounds like heaven.
I have enjoyed fishing a couple times in Oton, my inlaws are on Panay. Caught lapu-lapu, snapper and golden trevally. Good times.
God willing, I will spend my retirement living and fishing in the Philippines. I hope to build the world's fastest banka.
So,
Where does a Kano set up camp in the RP to enjoy a retirement
with lots of good fishing?

im sure there are lots of places where there is good fishing  if thats all thats important, have a look here         http://siargaofishing.com/

Thanks, but I cannot afford to wake each morning in retirement and pay a high priced private charter.
I am hoping to hear from those who fish regularly on their own.

wasnt suggesting that you did ,just giving idea of where there is good fishing  .im sure the locals dont hire private charters

Good am,

Since the poorest folk in the Philippine live by the sea, everything that wriggles close by is eaten. There is a Philippine angling club on the internet that is worth look.
We met a chap who has built large ocean going catamaran with a Mitsubishi pajero engine in each float, he came from the Cebu area and says that there are no fish there. He earns his living by taking out groups of expats far away out to sea overnight. His boat has fish finders and a proper sit down toilet.
So you'd need a large boat to be successful round the main Luzen island.
A friend diver says that the sea round Palawan swarms with fish so that may be the place to look at, just throw a line over the side and his men were catching their dinner ??

hi ,am hoocked on fishing so i wil build an kinda catamaran who wil take me were ever i want to to go fishing in phils ,one thing do ,one has to surch real hard to get nice fishing gear here ,lukely there's Galeon were i find most of wah i need on line and in manila an cebu there a few good shops to,
i came to the phils with a lot of fishing gear so i was prepared hehe.i wil move to Davao oriental soon ,i spend some time around Davao city ,no good fishing there haha.
but manny places here provide great fishing al kinds of fish ,big game fish to .
so
go for it an catch the catch of ya life here hahahaha
i wil surtenly try to.
greets Dirk

Hi Dirk we came from Vancouver and fishing is one of our love;  we fish salmon, trout, black cod, red snapper and lincod; we also brought several fishing rods; bait and even weights; do you have a place in particular you can really find good fishing;

l have fished off Palawan, and never caught anything.

Maybe better of to build my own fishpond to fish😆

hi just wondering did you have to pay extra fee to bring rods an hard cases for them. also is fihing gear more expensive in philippines than in canada. I fish lots in saskatchewan lakes mostly walleye and pike,I might neeed heavier gear for ocean fishing (not interest to catch big fish just eating size.

From Canada we sent it through the use of Professional Cargo; we buy this jumbo boxes and stuff it inside; cost to send at that time was $80 in 2006;  we call it "Balikbayan Boxes"; I do not know the price here; we have fishing rods to catch sturgeon; we even caught in Burrard Inlet rod cod, salmons, lingcod and tsawwasen a big sting ray; problem is we do not know where to fish here in the Philippines;

cynthiavilla-thanks for reply, not sure which island I will live on leaning towards dumaguete city area hope to buy or share small boat to fish an snorkel. so iam doing losts of research on philippines( rental houses,snorkeling an fishing area) the forum is a good source of info. so far info I have found that just fishing for dinner is not so easy.most of families there use nets, I hope to be in philippines this fall. I will let you know how fishing is in area I end up living around.

You take care; just keep on asking; I have been to Dumaguete, nice place; there are a lot of nice places in the Philippines; but I do miss Canada;

I'm in northern Luzon. Laoag area, like the one Expat said, there are a lot of fishing village here. Just note that these guys only fish close to the shore for whatever wiggles. No game fishing its all for sales at the market.

Game fishing is better 3 to 5 miles off shore and from what I'm seeing anyone who goes out come back loaded with large fish. No marina and no place for a big boat. The best thing is to build your own dock. The China Sea is relatively calm and ideal for small craft. Typhoon s generally come from the Pacific and cross the Luzon (mountains) then hit here so by then they have lost their strength. So rarely are there sea disasters involving fishermen.

Ship your gear either by FedEx or DHL....

in oktober we (my wife & I )wil go check out Caraga in Davao Oriental,depending on the internet availebility we wil settle down there or in Mati .Caraga is realy very provincial witch i love ,never been a city boy haha,once settled down i start building a catamaran build for sportfishing and hope to go out and catch al kind of fish ,big game to.
wen i came here i had my hand carry and the rest of my lugage was a large bag ful of fishing rods weight 28 kilo,the rest of my gear ,reels nets and beach rod stands an so on i alredy sended by air cargo, in a large steel trunk weight 85 kilo, overhere.this costed me 600euro ,not cheap but it was and stil is my intention to stay here so worth wile investment to me he.
greets Dirk

i usualy look for a slowly deklining beach with a coral reef witch has a steek deklining sea floor behind the reef ,experiance teached me that al kind of big and not so big game fish love to pray from the deep towards the reef .this has been a proven way of finding good fishing grounds
greets Dirk

ps : china merchandise inc, in Manila has a wide range of fishing gear ,the adres with streetplan kan be found on google

sirrobcentral- Laoag is the other place Iam considering living I know a Canadian filipino that lives in Sarrat and he mentioned I should check Laoag out. Do you know how snorkeling would be within 1hr of Laoag ? Do you fish near Laoag area?

dirk c - have you ever checked out the rods and reels for sale in the Philippines ? I only need small reel  as only try to fish for  dinner size fish 5lbs. or under . just wonder what quality of tackle they sell .

silverman wrote:

sirrobcentral- Laoag is the other place Iam considering living I know a Canadian filipino that lives in Sarrat and he mentioned I should check Laoag out. Do you know how snorkeling would be within 1hr of Laoag ? Do you fish near Laoag area?

Snorkeling is done by the rock formations and the windmills. I've seen guys in diving gear walking out of the water but no air tanks, my assumption is try they were snorkeling and fishing because they had spear guns. No fish though.... LOL

So yes to within an hour of Sarat and Laoag. Tell your friend to start going to breakfast at Mc Do so I can meet him. I'm now in Marcos Town next to Sarat. The best kept secret here is Lake Paoay near the Laoag Airport. Brackish water so plenty of salties. The other is like I told you... Three miles out big trophies abound buy no Taxidermy.... Hehehe.

as i live far from Manila ,i usualy order my fishing gear at Galleon,there to you can find the gear and takles ya need for your specifik needs.but it can take up to 4 weeks before delivery as some of the stuf has to be shipped from the US.
the shipping prices can run up ,i complained about it and must say after i told them i knew they were a subdivision of Amazon and these shipping prices were a lot les there ,the shipping prices dropped radicly hehehe
just ya know he.
i checked out the fishing rods for sale in the ph on google ,but,these are second hand rods and in some of them after inlarging the pics i shaw damage ,so i wil never buy there.
greets Dirk

I have heard the fishing is good off Anini-y, Antique, Panay Island.  I also am looking for places to fish.  I will be in Roxas City, Capiz the end of January.  Gearing up for both fresh and saltwater fishing.  I have been advised to load up on hooks and line in the US before arriving as I have been told they are junk there. I plan on making a trip to China Merchandising in Manila to get last minute fishing items

china merchandise do have some nice gear ,have to agree on that .now i'm more setteled i find all i need on line shopping whit lazada ,prices are good and shipping cheep or even free,they also have a very wide product range hooks ,swivels ,rods, reels and mono or braided lines also a very wide range of lures and other equipment.very easy to use and no husel in case of refunding.
found a reef less than one mile from the beach ,been very busy building a boat it took a long wile to find al i needed to build whit fiberglas but finaly found a good adres in davao.both alredy a 12hp diesel engin propeler and propshaft so nothing can stop me nowww

greets dirk

fishing, also called angling, the sport of catching fish, freshwater or saltwater, typically with rod, line, and hook. Like hunting, fishing originated as a means of providing food for survival. Fishing as a sport, however, is of considerable antiquity.

fishing, also called angling, the sport of catching fish, freshwater or saltwater, typically with rod, line, and hook. Like hunting, fishing originated as a means of providing food for survival. Fishing as a sport, however, is of considerable antiquity.
-@ferhana muneer

Welcome to the forum. would that be a little like jostling in a super market? Prefer to relax on my beach, Throw a line in and a catch is a bonus. Antiquity no, I think you got it all backwards.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve. 

Fishing in rivers, forget it here. For sea fishing I have acquaintances who seasonally fish for the sailfish and dorado off Santa Ana (Cagayan), similar plus marlin off Siargao (Surigao del Norte) and Mati (Davao Oriental), yellowfin tuna of Sablayan (Occ. Mindoro). All good, safe places to live but lacking some of the comfort foods and amenities of Europe/North America.

In the past I fished at Arthur Treacher Fish & Chips.

I brought a bunch of rods, reels and tackle and tried fishing on a couple of the local long piers but I have yet to get a bite using cut fish for bait. I've seen some really nice worms when digging on the property but my mother in law says she would not eat a fish caught with a worm.

Moon Dog said . . . . I brought a bunch of rods, reels and tackle and tried fishing on a couple of the local long piers but I have yet to get a bite using cut fish for bait. I've seen some really nice worms when digging on the property but my mother in law says she would not eat a fish caught with a worm.

Many years ago when my children were small I took them to a private stocked lake, they charged an admission and you had to keep the fish you caught. Also they charged you by the weight of the fish you caught.

But the interesting thing is that you had to use their Cheese Balls for bait.

@Enzyte Bob whattaracket

@Enzyte Bob whattaracket
-@Larry Fisher

Sure it may seem like a racket but my children were thrilled to catch fish. Another fishing trip experience with  was fishing on Lake Michigan.

I gave the kids a choice a visit to six flags over American or a half day charter on Lake Michigan for Coho Salmon. My son, wife and I all got sea sick but my daughter was not affected at all. The four hour charter was ended early because we all agreed to go back to shore.

Another fishing trip was an area called land of lakes in Illinois. I rented a boat, no motor, but rowed out into the lake. When we got to a nice fishing spot, I discovered that I left the bait on the dock. I rowed back to the dock and then back out again into the lake. A few hours later, not one bite.

So it was well worth the trip to the private stocked lake. The kids caught fish and the trip was cheaper than the charter boat or a visit to six flags.

I brought a bunch of rods, reels and tackle and tried fishing on a couple of the local long piers but I have yet to get a bite using cut fish for bait. I've seen some really nice worms when digging on the property but my mother in law says she would not eat a fish caught with a worm.
-@Moon Dog

I am not an expert at fishing by any means but it seems to me that most fisherman these days will take along several different types of bait and experiment until they find the right set up and bait. Problem now is that unlike when I was a kid and it was one rod, a lot of fishermen seem to fish with three rods. There fishing tackle is probably worth thousands of pounds.

-@Moon Dog
I am not an expert at fishing by any means but it seems to me that most fisherman these days will take along several different types of bait and experiment until they find the right set up and bait. Problem now is that unlike when I was a kid and it was one rod, a lot of fishermen seem to fish with three rods. There fishing tackle is probably worth thousands of pounds.
-@Cherryann01

I meant their fishing tackle, would not let me correct.

Moon Dog commented . . . I've seen some really nice worms when digging on the property but my mother in law says she would not eat a fish caught with a worm.

Not quite relate but. . . It's not uncommon when Asian prepare fish the head is left on. When I was a boy the family took a one week vacation to Burleigh Falls Ontario.

The kitchen prepared the fish we caught that day for dinner. The chef/cook left the head on the fish. My Mother refused to eat the fish and Dad asked why? She replied the fish was looking at her.