Looking for information on residency

Wow!  Reading these forum is mind-boggling!  I'm looking for information, cut and dry, on the steps to moving to Ecuador for retirement.  What I'm finding here is a mish-mash of information.  It seems that the experience is never the same for any two people!  It seems the requirements and time spent varies.  Our plan is to get down there by March of 2014, and we're trying to figure out what the first step is in trying to get residency.   When should we begin this process?

From what I've come to understand, there are only two residency options open for my husband and myself to be able to retire to Ecuador.  Please feel free to chime in on this with any advice you can offer.

Pension:  A retired person could somehow (?) prove that they have a pension of at least $800 a month.  Usually this is attained by social security, however, this is not the case for us.  My husband is taking EARLY retirement and won't qualify for social security for another few years.  We plan on living off of 401K and investment retirement accounts, so will immigration allow us to use this option?  If so, how do we prove that we will be able to withdraw a certain amount to live off of in order to qualify for residency?

Investment:  Making an investment in property or a certificate of deposit.  We understand this is a second option, but were told that once the money is invested, it cannot be touched, nor can the investment property be touched as long as you want your residency.  This raises the question of whether or not a residency type can be switched later, for example, using this investment plan to get there and changing over to the pension residency once the social security kicks in. Is this possible?

Is this information we would be able to get from an immigration attorney?  If so, can anyone please inbox me with someone they have found reliable and able to make the transition go smoothly?   Thanks for any input you can give.

I saw you query regarding attoneys.
Mine was: Grace Valastequi
I'll get back to you with her email and other particulars. She speaks perfect English.
She has a law office with her husband Nelson.
Vey nice folks

Thanks for posting this question, been wishing for the same info. Thanks to all who post responses.

My husband and I were told by migration office (4 months ago or so) that we have to keep the investment for the first 2 years that the visa was issue. After that we can do whatever we want.
Maybe, if you want, try asking @RicardoPatinoEc in twitter. Will not hurt.

Hi, lets cut through the nonsense and opinions. I've spent over 100 hours on this topic and finally qualified for the pensioner visa using my SS. At first like you I tried to use the same platform using investments to satisfy the $900 per month for him as primary and you as a secondary which makes for the additional $100 bucks.
To go this route means you'll open your kimono to inspection and further explanations to folks that won't get the paper trail or your explanations and if you want to feel frustration try going this way.
Until he qualifies for SS down the line go the investment route of $25k assessed evaluation property or a deposit of equal value.
I would strongly suggest that you put any dough into an Ecuadorian bank which offers something similar to our FDIC backing.
Recent history to do otherwise has hurt some folks using a financial source without that backing.
While it's not perfect and they could still default it is the only reasonable way of covering your $25k deposit.
Questions? After dinner mints? Let me know.
Good luck!!

Hi, 
We used Cecyl Velastugi, but her sister Grace has a great reputation as well.   Their offices are right next to each other and they are very trustworthy.  They are similar to US attorneys, but less expensive. 

We are currently in Ft Worth after just moving back.

We could give you our perspective  if you would like.   Our phone is 817-440-5862.

Riley

Hi, here's what I was told by 2 attorneys (I like second opinions).
You can invest 25k for you and 1k for your husband in either real estate or a business venture, or a bank deposit. If it's business you must show that you are attempting to make a profit.Then after the 2nd year if you don't make a profit you will have some explaining to do but typically will be granted a one year extension to earn a profit.

If it's the bank deposit you can take it back out after you have fulfilled the minimum requirement which when they told me was (but changes often) 3 years of not being out of country more than 90 calendar days per year. An no crimes felony level committed while in country.
That was for the bank deposit. They both said that if it was real estate that you may need to keep it but at that time they weren't sure because new rules were coming out.

As far as can you change your visa type mid stream? That was one of my questions too. NO! If you do the 1st visa stops and you then must qualify for the new one as if you had never had one.
And no, you cannot have one while applying for the other one to see if it goes through then switch. Applying for 2 is a criminal offense.

I hope this helps.

Patrick

Hi, did you say you just moved back from Ecuador? or were you just visiting? What did you think about Ecuador? why did you move back?

I am in the process of obtaining a "Retirement" Residency Visa. I am going to do this from Canada (which the Ecuadorian Embassy tells me is the best way to do it).

Like you I won't have the equivalent of SS coming in until I am 65 (60 at the moment). That means that I have to qualify using my investments. I have been informed that they will not accept regular investments, but will consider money coming in from an Annuity. The reason they will not accept regular investments is because no one can guarantee the stability of your investments nor the stability of the stock market as a whole.

Annuities are guaranteed for life and that is basically what Ecuadorian Immigrations is concerned with. They want to make sure that you don't become a financial burden on their economy which is totally understandable.

I am in the process of trying this route but won't know for a few months whether they will accept the Annuities or not. I don't see why they won't but that is just my opinion. If they don't accept my annuities then I will have to wait until I am 65 to move there as I am not comfortable in going the $25,000 investment route.

If I am successful I will try and remember to post the results.

Cool! I can retire now with my government job but my take home check would only be around $1700.00 a month.So, I may work a few more years.I just turned 52.I just want to make sure that I don't move to a place and then can't afford it after a short time but that's the risk you take when moving. Thanks !!!!!!

After reading all these posts am starting to wonder if my situation might not be so simple. My income is SS Disability. I get an "award" letter every January stating the monthly amount for the coming year. (Big COLA raise for 2014- 1.5%) I'm 57 and will be getting a pension in two and a half years(very well funded so I don't worry about it).  Am trying to avoid paying a lawyer. Anyone else in this situation that could offer advice?

Also I might have another option that I haven't really looked into called "professional" visa. I have BS in Nursing with 30+ years in the business. Don't really want to work (maybe part-time or volunteer work). Probably they want more high tech type  people. Does anyone know someone with prof visa?

suefrankdahl wrote:

After reading all these posts am starting to wonder if my situation might not be so simple. My income is SS Disability. I get an "award" letter every January stating the monthly amount for the coming year. (Big COLA raise for 2014- 1.5%) I'm 57 and will be getting a pension in two and a half years(very well funded so I don't worry about it).  Am trying to avoid paying a lawyer. Anyone else in this situation that could offer advice?

Also I might have another option that I haven't really looked into called "professional" visa. I have BS in Nursing with 30+ years in the business. Don't really want to work (maybe part-time or volunteer work). Probably they want more high tech type  people. Does anyone know someone with prof visa?

So you could go as a nurse while collecting SS Disability?  Is there a "disabled professional" visa?

Makes sense and not really a serious choice for me. But I am allowed to work here with limits on what I can earn. I do volunteer work now. It's just a credential I might want to exploit someday. I hadn't really researched it as far as Ecuador was concerned but probably not worth looking in to. Complicated and they'd ask the same question you posed when they saw my current source of income Either you work or get disabilty income. Medical tourism is a big deal there with  all the hype about American trained doctors. From what I did read your education has to be equivalent to that of the Ecuadorian professional. Can't even imagine the hassle of having  transcripts translated in Ecuador.

There is no "disability" visa that I've read about that's why I asked the first question? I'm not a pensioner. The bottom line for residency seems to be that you have to have a guaranteed income.

suefrankdahl wrote:

Makes sense and not really a serious choice for me. But I am allowed to work here with limits on what I can earn. I do volunteer work now. It's just a credential I might want to exploit someday. I hadn't really researched it as far as Ecuador was concerned but probably not worth looking in to. Complicated and they'd ask the same question you posed when they saw my current source of income Either you work or get disabilty income. Medical tourism is a big deal there with  all the hype about American trained doctors. From what I did read your education has to be equivalent to that of the Ecuadorian professional. Can't even imagine the hassle of having  transcripts translated in Ecuador.

There is no "disability" visa that I've read about that's why I asked the first question? I'm not a pensioner. The bottom line for residency seems to be that you have to have a guaranteed income.

I meant that your question makes sense.

The Professional Visa does not require that you work here. It's a fairly easy residency visa to get.

amyf wrote:

The Professional Visa does not require that you work here. It's a fairly easy residency visa to get.

You mean you only have to be a professional on paper?

amyf wrote:

Is it easy for those whose college degree is not on the list of approved universities that I have seen linked to somewhere?