Pets in Saudi/Riyadh

Hey all.
Just arrived here last week and was given a small chat abut pets over here, dog specifically, apparently its not seen as a common thing to take pets while here but importantly Dog are almost forbidden except special circumstances.
i was thinking about while here maybe getting a pet or maybe not but considering how dangerous it is on the roads and the heat im not so sure, especially as it appear to be that dogs are not socially acceptable.

... side note, i do however see cats EVERYWHERE

sorry if this has already been discussed.

Hi MaceRiyadh,

Welcome to the kingdom, whilst its not illegal to own or bring a dog over with you, i wouldnt have one over here in this heat, and you are correct about them not being socially accepted amongst the local community.

I think cats just breed like rabbits out here!

I hope you are settling in ok, if you like your food, downtown Riyadh has some great restaurants.

Have fun

Tony

Same as you heard and Mr. Tonybrock46 said.

Dogs are not socially accepted here.
However, you still can own one, but I my self don't recommended that especially that the weather won't help you for a walk out with it.

You can have a cat that you'll raise indoor if you really like having pets.

wish you pleasant stay

Plenty of expats on Western compounds have dogs but outside of compounds? Not so much.  Saudis think man's best friend is a camel :lol:  SERIOUSLY!

If you're interested in a cat, there is a wonderful rescue you should look into: http://www.openpaws.org .

Best of luck!

There is also a FB group called Pets in Need that has pets that need an owner, pets which have been abandoned or maltreated.

Some Saudis keep dogs too, but only those living in villas/palaces/mansions that have some enclosed outdoor space for the dog to walk around a bit.  I have also seen, rarely though, young fashionable dudes walking their pet dog on a leash on the various walking paths in Jeddah.

Alliecat wrote:

Plenty of expats on Western compounds have dogs but outside of compounds? Not so much.  Saudis think man's best friend is a camel :lol:  SERIOUSLY!

If you're interested in a cat, there is a wonderful rescue you should look into: http://www.openpaws.org .

Best of luck!

There is no Animal can stand the heat except the camel .. :cool:

Rather than your dog gonna be hotdog ..:lol:

Private :
I used to had one but my neighbor always complaining :rolleyes:

Ml7 wrote:

Rather than your dog gonna be hotdog ..:lol:

:lol:

i have a great dog for adoption :)

oh? its a shame really im tempted to sya yes, but the compound i live in does not allow pets so much for that.... :(

well for Pets i have heard some crazy stories here in Saudi arabia .Few saudi guys love to get wild animals as there pets and most of these are Cheetah or leopards .I think you guys will think i am joking :D  see this video . One of my friend told me that this video is of dammam where once a cheetah got out from its owner house and roaming around the streets .I cant even imagine how terrifying that scene would be :|  .Any ways check this out and do some comments .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9yOHRpqU9Q

kashanj wrote:

One of my friend told me that this video is of dammam where once a cheetah got out from its owner house and roaming around the streets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkopd7JF7iA

wow, simply wow

Greetings of peace to one n all.. I had adopted a cat who was orphaned n now she has a litter of 4.all of them r active n healthy. 5 weeks + old. I am not able to take care of them all as my wife is pregnant and I hav another orphaned cat too.. im looking for a suitable home for the kittens in the next 3 weeks.. pls help us by abopting them. My number is +966531380367.im a doctor n stay in An Naseem Riyadh.

Hello syed shoukat and welcome on board.

Just to inform you that this post is quite an old one. Maybe you can have better visibility if you create a new thread!

Also I kindly propose you place an advert in our Everything for your pets in Riyadh, saying you are giving away kittens for adoption.

This might be helpful.

Regards

Kenjee

hello
iam looking for someone to take care of my cat for a month from July 23 to Aug 18 or 25th can you  pleas let me know if you can or send me someone's contact ASAP, i really need it .
I will appreciate it

Faye

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : avoid posting your personal details pls

Hi Faye,

Please note that this thread is a bit old :)

Check out the date before posting - and we will invite you to start a new topic on the Riyadh Forum for better interactions :)

We will also invite you to drop an advert in the Riyadh pets classifieds section please :)

Thank you

Maximilien

you are right , I didn't pay attention to the date at all ..

thanks to you .

Faye

i am going there wish me a good vacation ...

sorry i am totally new here , i noticed that most of the posts are old !! how can i see the new posts ???
thanks
Faye

If you really looking for Pets setter there are shops round in Riyadh I think you could go in person and ask I'm sure they can do that for you example pets shop is John opposite of King Faisal Hospital next to Panda market

thank you so much for your help ,but I really hate the way they take care of cats they just lock them in a small cage for a long time and the cat becomes very lazy I saw them ...

have a nice day

Faye