Many Questions I Want To Ask Migration Police in Ecuador

Maybe you folks can help me.

The Miami Ecuadorian consulate screwed up my paperwork for my residency visa.

I currently have a valid 3-month extension (12-X) to my original 6-month visa (12-IX). The extension expires at the end of November.

Traveling to Peru for a few days and returning to Ecuador at the end of November gets me 90 more days in Ecuador without the need for a visa.

My paperwork to get my residency visa can be ready again within 9 months. This time it will be perfect.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I only get one free 90 day period in Ecuador on my passport, or can I go back to Peru to get another 90 days. (I suspect I cannot do this.)

2. Do I have to return to the USA or can I hang out in another country here in South America? I ask, because I can have the paperwork completed in the USA without me having to be there.

3. If I overstay my visa, what is the penalty? (I suspect that I must leave for 9 months - no fine, but then I can come back.)

Thanks for your responses.

Drez Zipper wrote:

I currently have a valid 3-month extension (12-X) to my original 6-month visa (12-IX). The extension expires at the end of November.

I had told someone on this board that Cuenca immigration had offered me the 12-X to extend my 6 month many months ago and that they should inquire about it. They instead decided to call a lawyer and heeded the advise of the secretary who told them they need to leave the country.

So it sounds like you are going to go to leave Peru for a few days when your 12-X expires and then re-enter using the entry stamp (called the T3 I think) which gives you 90 days? You are doing it sort of in reverse fashion, since most people start with the entry stamp.

Yes, that T3 entry stamp I believe is only available once a year. Of course my question is why canŽt you then reapply for another 6 month extension when that 90 days is up? If you canŽt for whatever reason, then you could always get a student visa to hold you over at one of the Spanish schools (i.e. Nexus).

As for whether whether you need to return to the U.S., I donŽt think so. I knew someone who flew to Columbia before re-entering.

As for the third question, I donŽt know, although I remember the quy who runs this blog mentioned it in one of his articles, I think.

I have a suggestion. Find @RicardoPatinoEC in twtteer. I tried before and turned out great!
PD: He understand english.

Don't.  Get a good attorney.

Drez Zipper wrote:

3. If I overstay my visa, what is the penalty? (I suspect that I must leave for 9 months - no fine, but then I can come back.)

I know the OP's visa expired in November and he has likely moved on, but now that new member Lev has brought this thread to people's attention, I am addressing this specific overstay issue which may be of interest to others.

The OP had a basic grasp of how it has been working, with the proviso that -- like many EC visa-related matters -- overstay enforcement is subject to change.

Based on the anecdotal reports of EC visitors in recent years, this is how it has been working...

If you overstay your visa, nothing, nada is likely to happen immediately, not even a warning, because the authorities will not be aware of the overstay.

The police could discover the overstay if you happened to stumble into a police check, which could theoretically occur at any time but is an infrequent occurrence if no criminal activity is taking place.  Even if you run into the police, it is possible they will look over your passport but will not do anything, not even a warning.

If you try to leave the country after an overstay, based on these reports,  you will not be fined, but will likely be told that your privileges to re-enter Ecuador under any circumstances are revoked for nine to 12 months.

Again, the authorities have the power to change their enforcement of the  overstay rules at any time.

cccmedia in Quito