Driving fathers car

Hello

I am currently working for a company, and waiting for my company to provide me with my own vehicle.
My father has a car that he does not use often, and i wanted to use his car till i get my own .
My father and i are working in different companies.

would it be possible for me to drive his car ? and carry his istimara (or copy) and other documents ?

I have a license .

If not, what is the procedure ?
My father tried to add me as a co-owner in moi website. But he is not able to . When he asked a saudi to check , his car registration was there.
The car is personally owned by my father , not company provided.

The ultimate solution is to add yourself as a car co-partner on the MOI website. The same thing you've mentioned above. Do try again; it must work.

Here is the old traditional way:
You need a paper signed from your dad called 'tafweed' [Authorization]. Just take a copy of your iqama and get an Arab friend write on it in Arabic: "I, your father's name and iqama#, authorize my son...blah blah." Do mention the car model, make and chassis number. Keep that paper along with dad's iqama copy. You're good to go on roads.

TLL, are you sure that will work?  What about insurance in case there is an accident?  His dad's insurance won't cover him.

Trapezius wrote:

TLL, are you sure that will work?  What about insurance in case there is an accident?  His dad's insurance won't cover him.

Yes. That's how it is being done for privately owned car since decades. While purchasing insurance policies, you can include multiple drivers (18+ age).

Circling back to something that must not ignored, MOI newly devised co-ownership is the preferred way to go.

We just tried again.
In the tab "vehicles i am authorized for", (for my father) nothing shows up.
I am assuming that is where we do this procedure ?

My father asked another saudi friend, to try the same with his car. In his case the vehicle i am authorized for, showed his car.

Also, in the mean time only getting my father to write on the iqama that he authorizes me and so on, is enough ?
or do we need to go to police station or some such office to get this validated ?

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Yes. That's how it is being done for privately owned car since decades. While purchasing insurance policies, you can include multiple drivers (18+ age).

Circling back to something that must not ignored, MOI newly devised co-ownership is the preferred way to go.

The authorization letter doesn't need to be stamped by a police station?

As for insurance, how do we know multiple drivers have been included in the father's existing policy?  Furthermore, if I am notnmistaken, other drivers have to be included by name.  So, be careful in telling the OP to just go ahead and drive after following the MOI or tafweed procedure.  Without insurance, he will be taking a big risk.

Trapezius wrote:

The authorization letter doesn't need to be stamped by a police station?

No. Authorization can be given to anyone without involving police. Ever come across the bank authorization letter for leased cars? It's simply from the bank with no Maroor involvement.

Trapezius wrote:

As for insurance, how do we know multiple drivers have been included in the father's existing policy?  Furthermore, if I am notnmistaken, other drivers have to be included by name.  So, be careful in telling the OP to just go ahead and drive after following the MOI or tafweed procedure.  Without insurance, he will be taking a big risk.

Yes, other drivers can be included by name. Although they reserve the right not to cover any other driver, insurance companies basically insure the car no matter who drives it. (Probably) they know that in case of any unfortunate incident, the policy holder (and the car owner) will somehow come out from somewhere saying, "What's the deal buddy?" :)

Trapezius wrote:

So, be careful in telling the OP to just go ahead and drive after following the MOI or tafweed procedure.  Without insurance, he will be taking a big risk.

As Govt. has regularized and computerized all this, that is the right way.

TLL
could you please clarify how exactly the co ownership is carried out on the MOI website.
which tab on the moi website ?
we were checking in traffic ->vehicle user iquiry -> vehicles i am authorized for (for my father)

fuzzz wrote:

TLL
could you please clarify how exactly the co ownership is carried out on the MOI website.
which tab on the moi website ?
we were checking in traffic - vehicles i am authorized for (for my father)

I haven't used MOI website yet mate. So I can't be of much help.

The car owner must log in with his account and he must be able to co-owner anyone. If this doesn't work, MOI has not provided this feature yet.

TLL, I am not convinced about the insurance.  My insurance policy clearly states that it will not cover drivers other than those mentioned in the policy.  And when I went to their office recently (Tawuniya), they had large posters urging people to come forward if they experience or see cases where someone other than the insured person was driving during the accident, but after the accident, the driver swaps seats with the insured person (who was a passenger during the accident) in an attempt to commit insurance fraud.

I will state it again: If you are NOT mentioned by name in the insurance policy, the policy will not cover YOU whether you cause an accident, or are the victim.  At least for Tawuniya. (and there is no reason to believe other providers will be different)

When did I say insurance is not needed for ALL drivers? Per SAMA regulations, it's obligatory (at least TPL i.e. Third Party Liability). The Istamara won't be renewed and the car can't be transferred without a valid insurance.

I work in the insurance industry. Who could vouch for a correct and comprehensive insurance policy better than me :)

Come on mate, I am obviously referring to the OP.  The car is under his father's name, which means the father is the only insured driver of that car, not the son.  But you keep telling the OP to get the tafweed (or do the MOI procedure) and then simply drive.  What about insurance?  He won't be covered, because he is not mentioned in the policy.  Or is it the case that if you have permission from the owner, the existing policy--which does not mention your name--will automatically cover you?  But again, referring to the insurance policy, it clearly says anybody not mentioned in the policy will not be covered.

You're spot on. His question was about tafweed mainly, so amendments in the insurance policy got missed out.

i have another question>
my father's car is on lease, and i am added as a second driver my the leasing company. Now i want to know whether i can drive his car out of kingdom or not?  i know the procedure about taking the car outside the kingdom as my father has done many times. But i want to know whether i can take it or not ?

what i know you can drive no issues just make a authorization from any legal office in your name

Can someone please advise the procedure to add my self as a Co owner to my Dad's car. He has an active MOI Account.

Also I would like to know if I am added, will I be able to drive the car outside the Kingdom provided all other formalities of Insurance are successfully completed

fuzzz wrote:

Hello

I am currently working for a company, and waiting for my company to provide me with my own vehicle.
My father has a car that he does not use often, and i wanted to use his car till i get my own .
My father and i are working in different companies.

would it be possible for me to drive his car ? and carry his istimara (or copy) and other documents ?

I have a license .

If not, what is the procedure ?
My father tried to add me as a co-owner in moi website. But he is not able to . When he asked a saudi to check , his car registration was there.
The car is personally owned by my father , not company provided.

I think only Saudis can give tasreeh of his car to others. I tried to get my son car tasreeh in my name but failed like you

You can do it by going to Maroor directly with your father. I know about riyadh. In Riyadh you have to go to Nasariyah Maroor  for authorization.

In dammam you can visit any maroor and ask them, the procedures, they will guide you which branch you need to go.

mohammad1986 wrote:

i have another question>
my father's car is on lease, and i am added as a second driver my the leasing company. Now i want to know whether i can drive his car out of kingdom or not?  i know the procedure about taking the car outside the kingdom as my father has done many times. But i want to know whether i can take it or not ?

i already traveled without any problems. In-case of leased vehicle, you need to get an authorization letter for driving vehicle out of country. This authorization is issued online from TAMM. You can obtain it by visiting the leasing company.

Assalamwalikum
Actually i am 17yrs i have an licence so i would like to ask you guys that my father isnt allowing me to drive car alone with the fear of the accident . Hez saying for insurance btt insurance is too expensive for me to be afflrded its for 5000sar. I would like to ask you that can i drive the car in my fathers insurance . What steps should i take to that ?