Rainy Season

Well now that the rainy season is upon you. How about the outbreak of Dengue Fever. At this time, a severe out break is along the Honduras and Nicaragua Border,Honduras is of epedimic size for rthe last several years, causing 18 deaths.With Haiti also prone to it. Is it a big problem there? Or is it more within Haiti, due to poor health and starvation. And illegial immigrants coming over the border to the D.R.? Just thought i'd ask, since the CDC did say you can get it there in the D.R. too.
Take Care. Mark

We had a huge problem with that over the summer but it seems to be  lessening now. I believe 65-70 deaths this summer due to Dengue.  It was nationwide and not just confined to the poorer sections of the major cities.
Like I said much quieter now.

BobK

And the concept of rainy season  may or may not apply here.  Our weather patterns shift depending what part of the country you are in.

Yes dengue is here,  we did have a problem this summer and we continue to have issues with it. 

You can do what you can to protect yourself here and get medical attention early if you are sick! 

It appears that the poor are the ones who suffer the most when they get dengue but it crosses all economic groups! 

BOB can you give us a list of symptoms to watch for????

:nothappyHi Bob K and Planner. Oh wow I didn't know the toll was that bad. Several African nations are having death tolls that bad too. I wasn't sure if the North Coast was going to get hard like the Metro urban areas.

My pals in Nicarauga blame it on the folks from Hondoras.
I did read several things on prevention, like avoid standing water, CDC i think said to nwear long sleeve shirts, and long pants, and no sneakers, regular shoes, and some kind if spray that contains DEET?? Suppose to kill the skeeters. Oh and there were like 2 cases of the fever in Florida,think that was traveler caused.
Your right its the poor and malnourished that will suffer the most. I guess if your some where that has the fever,and you get flu-like symptoms you better go have it checked out right away.
I will bve thinking and praying for all of you. Mark

Biggest complaints are fevers, terrible joint aches, headaches.  Check you platlett count and if dropping get to a hospital. As this may become the hemorrhagic variety and this is the one that kills.

Otherwise treatment is HYDRATION and lots of it. Hydration salts are good and can be gotten at any pharmacy. You mix it with water. Everyone should have a couple of packs at home all the time.

Best prevention is don't get bit by misquotes. One of the best repellents are those that have at least 25% DEET (Deep woods off, Cutter and others). Most of the tourist areas spray regularly and usually not a problem. Mpatti is correct in that standing water is a great breeding ground.

Bob K

So how does one check their platelett count without going to a doctor?????  I would have no idea about that.

and thanks for this Bob.

Just go to a local lab and ask for it. You do not need to see a doctor prior to getting any labs here. I do it all the time.

Bob K

Ok  i knew I could got to labs but never thought to ask for that.  OK, way faster likely then a trip to the clinic.

I guess the number of dengue cases Bob said applied to the whole country, not only for the north coast.
By the way we are getting ready for the driest season of the year here on the south coast :)
As planner said, we cannot really call rainy and not rainy seasons for Dominican republic, it is all regional.

Yes those numbers were for the whole country. Only a handful of deaths here on the north coast and those were in the poorer barrios. But even some of the affluent areas has some cases (no deaths)
True rainy season seems to shift every year and depends on where you are. I still think we get more rain Nov-March here on the north coast than the rest of the year.  But still most days are sunny.

Bob K

I  remember  Bob  more then one NOvember up there with rain every single day, then I also remember December and January in a drought.  No way to really judge anymore..............

I too remember that November. We had rain every day for over 2 weeks.  I thought I was going to develop gills to help with the breathing.

I also remember a tropical storm the in December that flooded the whole area including washing many bridges in the area.

Bob K

I remember that tropical storm too,  it was like Dec 9 or 10!  I also remember a rainstorm in March that dumped incredible rain in about an hour and a half. Flooded huge areas of Puerto Plata.

Yes that March storm was just as bad and in fact our neighbor's  9 foot highg stone wall (over 50 years old) collapsed during that one from the water.

Bob K

I almost did not make it home that day. And when I did - well  I lived on a hill!!!!  It was brutal, the water rushing down the street was almost up to my knees!  A lot of damage was done that day.