Kids leaving Morocco without father

I'm a Brit living in Morocco with my husband. Expecting our first baby but I plan to give birth in England. I hear that father's permission must be sought before I can take our child back to England for holidays in future. There will be times when my husband's work doesn't allow him to travel with the child and I, so what constitutes permission? Does he write a letter to the airport authorities,turn up with us at check-in and say it's ok for his child to travel, or is it more complicated? Just for the record, my husband won't object to me taking our child out of Morocco for holidays and stuff but we need to know exactly what he needs to do to grant this permission for me to travel alone with the child. If you know about this or have been in a similar situation please respond. Caroline

Hi Caroline,

Actually this is now a rule in most countries, due to trafficking in human beings and especially children.

When any adult travels with a minor they must have notarized permission from the other parent. In fact, nowadays most countries have also done away with putting one's child on a parent's passport, instead adopting a "one person one passport" policy.

It will depend on the country you are leaving exactly what must be expressed in the body of the text, but usually the full names of the adult and child who are travelling, the date of departure and anticipated date of return, the foreign address where the child will be residing during the entire stay, the full name of the parent granting permission.

It will also depend on local regulations where this must be notarized, beit simply done by a practicing lawyer or of necessity done in a Registry of the Courts.

Generally speaking you will also be required to produce the childs ORIGINAL Birth Certificate along with any other travel documents. If all these documents are present and in order it usually would not be necessary for the other parent to be at the airport, which without the proper documents would serve no purpose anyway. Quite likely you would also need to retain these documents and present them when leaving your home country for your return to Morocco.

Here in Brazil for example, these rules are so strict that they even apply to inter-state travel not just international trips. Absent permission from the other parent such trips can only be made when permitted by an Order of the Court.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Cheers,
William James Woodward

Hi Caroline.  Congratulations on your pregnancy.  I'm in the same situation with 2 children.  The only time I was asked for permission was when our eldest was travelling on a Moroccan passport, and even then they just spoke to my husband on the phone, but no questions asked if travelling on a British passport.  It is changing everywhere mind you and the best way forward is generally if you have the same surname as your husband and children.  I changed my name when we got married and even without children, it has made things in Morocco a lot easier when applying for documents etc.   It is easy enough to get a legalised letter though if you do need to.   All the best.

Hi Caroline.  This is an old post but since the information might be useful in any case, just to add that like Deana, I was often in this position but a phone call to my ex-husband sufficed.  Things might indeed be tighter now.  I don't think the documentation would be required if children have a non-Moroccan passport.

I'll add my two penn'orth. Make sure your child(ren) have UK passports. Never let them have a Moroccan one if you can help it as the UK authorities have no right to intervene on their behalf in the event of a dispute if they are recognised as dual Moroccan/UK nationals and the dispute happens in Morocco.

However, please look here:--

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_MOROCCO.html

This complicates things. I don't know if this applies automatically or has to be applied for if and when you bring your UK-born child back to Morocco. If it's the latter, resist the Moroccan registration.

@caroline_moussaoui I know it has been a while but I wanted to learn from your experience as am having the same issues

@caroline_moussaoui

Did you resolve your issue?

Hello @Marrakech85 and Marklasalle2022,

Please note that it's been years Caroline hasn't  been on the website (6 years or so). I suggest that you start your own thread on the Marrakech forum should you need any info. Active members will guide you.

All the best,

Bhavna

[Thread Closed]

Closed