Border Run

Hi all,

My 30 Day Visitor visa is coming ot an end so i need to do a border run.

I've been reading through expat forum on the same topic and am wondering what is the best way to do it. I was going to rent a car but apparently you cant do this. Perhaps i can get a taxi to the border, then walk through??

Can somebody please let me know hwat is the best way to achieve this.

Regards

J

Not clear why you mention you cannot rent a car.  You can.  The concern is rent-a-car companies take advantage of the situation and charge a hefty amount on the pretext of 'Oman insurance'.  The Oman insurance for vehicles is necessary of course for the border crossing at Oman, and willy nilly all cars in UAE are now provided with it.  Yet the rent-a-car companies would make you believe they are doing this specially for you.  They are covering their backside for the little extra effort they have to take should something happen in Oman.
Yes you can walk through at the border.
You have the option of going to Musandam border (also Oman) via Ras al Khaimah; or Hatta border from Dubai; or Mayzad border from Al Ain.  Guess you have a passport that entitles you to an automatic visa.

hi mjrv

Thank you for your message. Yes i have Irish passport which i need to get stamped. im living in Al Ain so my best option is the Mayzad border and to walk through. Has anyone walked through this border port, if so could you give me details on what to expect.

Regards

J

Hi Jimmy, did you realise that you receive 10days grace on the 30days visit visa? Might give you some time to ask around to see if anyone else is going on a visa run and share a lift with them.

Based on recent experience (+ feedback from travellers in other forums), at Hatta/Mayzad, the Oman Authorities are quicker in processing the paperwork as opposed to the Dubai/UAE immigration.  This is somewhat surprising, given the fact UAE boasts of 'e-governance' implemented to a significant extent.  Other than that it is a routine cross over; there are cafes, restrooms etc.  Not much of a problem except the time taken to reach there and get back to wherever you need to.

Hi there! I have a rented car and need to do a visa run within a few days. I do not want to go through the hassle of arranging for insurance and pay hefty amount for it. I'd rather walk a few steps. Please share with me your experience of how long a walk it is and what's the procedure after reaching Meyzad border. Not worried driving until then. Also i can do this for re-entering into the country with a new employment visa after having cancelled the old one right? Thanks for all the information.

Khaled