Advice on business trips to Kenya.

Hi, please can I have some advice on the following:

* Are their specific times when it is best to avoid trips to Kenya, for example, in the Netherlands, so many people go on leave in August that it is very hard to get to see the people you need.

* How long in advance do I need to make appointments?

* Should I send agendas before the meeting, or distribuate them at the meeting?

* What sort of business entertainment is suitable?  Should i invite associates to lunch or dinner?  Are there any courtesies I should be aware of?

*Would I be likely to be invited to business associates' homes, and if so, what should I bring as a thank you gift?  Flowers?  Bottle of wine?  Chocolates?

*Is it true that it is notusual to serve anything to drink with meals, or is this outdated advice?

* Is it customary to exchange gifts with business associates?  If so, should this be on meeting, or on conclusion of business?

* Also, if so, what sort of gifts would you recommend?

Hi deskbound,

Welcome to expat-blog!

I suggest you to visit the following link where you might find more tips:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Organized-fo … iness-Trip

Thank you,

David.

Expat-blog team.

Thanks David, but I'm looking for specific information about business in Kenya, and the wiki article is very generalised.  Answers to any of my questions would be gratefully received.

deskbound wrote:

* Are their specific times when it is best to avoid trips to Kenya, for example, in the Netherlands, so many people go on leave in August that it is very hard to get to see the people you need.

* How long in advance do I need to make appointments?

* Should I send agendas before the meeting, or distribuate them at the meeting?

* What sort of business entertainment is suitable?  Should i invite associates to lunch or dinner?  Are there any courtesies I should be aware of?

*Would I be likely to be invited to business associates' homes, and if so, what should I bring as a thank you gift?  Flowers?  Bottle of wine?  Chocolates?

*Is it true that it is notusual to serve anything to drink with meals, or is this outdated advice?

* Is it customary to exchange gifts with business associates?  If so, should this be on meeting, or on conclusion of business?

Hi its hard to get people in the holiday seasons like during the December holiday or other public holidays,for making appointments that depends with the people you are to meet some will be OK with even a one day notice but some will need you to make an appointment early especially if they are very busy so its good to consult them,its better to send agendas before the meeting for them to be prepared too,as for business entertainment,that again will depend with them but lunch is normally the better option,if your business associates invite you to there place what you will carry will depend with the kind of relationship you have with them and how your first meeting was may help you know what to carry.about meals being served with drinks that's an outdated advice because it again depends with them some people have drinks accompanied with meals like a glass of wine or juice but some its only meals and drinks later.finally its OK to exchange gifts with business associates,and it should be on either after the meeting meeting, or on conclusion of business which is much better.THIS IS JUST MY OPINION HOPE YOU GET MORE ADVICE ON THIS AND WELCOME TO NAIROBI.HOP YOU WILL HAVE A NICE TIME HERE.

deskbound wrote:

* Are their specific times when it is best to avoid trips to Kenya, for example, in the Netherlands, so many people go on leave in August that it is very hard to get to see the people you need. Generally most difficult to track people down in December as a lot of them leave the city, otherwise Nairobi is busy all year round

* How long in advance do I need to make appointments? 1-2 months in advance I'd say is notice enough

* Should I send agendas before the meeting, or distribuate them at the meeting? I'd say maybe send it through before the meeting in case any great ideas crop up from the members before the meeting - also handy to hand them out during the meeting

* What sort of business entertainment is suitable?  Should i invite associates to lunch or dinner?  Are there any courtesies I should be aware of? I find people are more flexible with dinners than lunches, you can include a dinner spot on the program and see how many are able to RSVP..the dinner by itself is courtesy enough if you ask me :-)

*Would I be likely to be invited to business associates' homes, and if so, what should I bring as a thank you gift?  Flowers?  Bottle of wine?  Chocolates? It depends with your associates, but generally Kenyans will not invite a large number of people to their homes, much rather book a table at a fancy hotel...however if its just you, yes its possible to be invited to their homes. A bottle of wine is usually appreciated IMO

*Is it true that it is not usual to serve anything to drink with meals, or is this outdated advice? huh? if anything, people have a drink before meals and even during.[color=#4C0BF3][/color]

* Is it customary to exchange gifts with business associates?  If so, should this be on meeting, or on conclusion of business? Its not customary..actually a bit rare to exchange gifts esp if its  a first time meeting. Yes people will exchange business cards, probably take a few group photos, but it will be a great gesture if maybe you have branded pens or such stuff to dish out AFTER COB.

Pens, business card holders, key holder, branded note pads, diaries etc

Source: Personal experience :-)