International movers from Canada

We are planning to move down to Corozal in April and we are looking to ship some stuff.  Does anyone have any recommendations on international movers in Belize?  I have heard it is best to start from the Belize end but I'm open to all suggestions.

thanks!

jane

You might want to check out Allied Van Lines Canada and see what they have to say about international moves.

www.alliedvanlines.ca

I presume that you're talking about a permanent move if you're even thinking about shipping.

If your move to Belize is NOT going to be permanent it's likely going to cost more than it is worth and would certainly be cheaper in the long run to simply buy what you need there.

From my many years of experience here in Brazil, unless one's employer is willing to absorb the costs of shipping it simply doesn't pay to do so, unless of course your belongings are extremely valuable antiques or have great sentimental value and just can't be parted with for permanent moves. For temporary assignments it's often cheaper to put everything into storage and buy new on location.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert - Expat-blog Team

Jane:

We are just now in the process of this (some is on the ocean as we speak). My research was that you need a freight forwarder in Canada and a customs broker in Belize to receive the items. THe freight forwarder will be able to get the container, and determine the actual shippers. There are several of each in Alberta and in Belize. Get some quotes and go from there.

Thank you for the information!

Yes we are moving permanently.. Need to get out of the snow and hectic lifestyle..  None of our stuff has a large monetary value.. .just priceless to us.

With respect to freight forwarders do you have any specific recommendations?  I have read such horror stories I would like some personal references.

I hope all goes well with your shipment.

j

For the freight forwarder in Alberta we used:

Laurie Comeau
P&T International Forwarding Ltd.
Tel: (780) 463-2062
Fax: (780) 463-2146
Cell: (780) 498-0455
www.pntforwarding.ca

For the Broker in Belize we used:

Sterling Freight
Amanda Wierum
Mile 63 Western Highway
P.O. Box 64
San Ignacio, Belize Central America
[email protected]
www.sterlingfreight.com

Hope this helps.

Thank you! will give them a call.

2flyaway:

Thank you for the information.  The freight forwarding company has been fantastic so far.  Now we just have to sell our house, pack/purge/sell our stuff and head down...

I was thinking of your shipment, has it made it yet?

We have received the 1st shipment, the second is clearing customs tomorrow. So for us the companies at end have been great.

Closed