How to find a housemaid

Hello everyone,

Can someone tell me how do I find a Filipino maid to work in our household? We are living in Saudi Arabia and can't find a maid here. We have the ability to sponsor someone from the Philippines but can't find someone. Do maids go only through agencies? If that is the case how do I find out about these agencies?

thank you!

Hi myyams, there is no need to go through agencies as long as you can send a contract or working visa to an individual and also should shoulder some expenses like tickets, etc. while the concern person here will go through all the legal papers here...

Ok thanks.  How do I find someone if I don't know someone? Do people in the Phillipines know about the classified ads on ExpatBlog?  I know expats do..but like Filipino people?

Well, that really is the concern. How do you find one. Few Filipinos know about classified ads on expatblog but I dont think they are into Maids.  Maybe a referral from someone here can be arrange. Even I can refer someone to you, problem is I think both parties should have a background check to avoid problems in the future like maids being maltreated or abused or maybe other way around. Im just concern about how things may end up. If you know what I mean...

I agree with you about the possibility of mistreatment of maids, particularly from natives living here in Saudi Arabia.  To be very honest and candid with you, I completely understand this predicament.  I probably wouldn't refer anyone to someone living in another country whom I don't know personally. I get that..believe me!!!   Let me share some of the reasons to be hopeful..

Non natives have less chances of abusing their maids because of their own repercussions...they'd get deported and chances are they are supporting their family from their jobs. Besides penalties are severe and expat people tend to take the law more seriously in these kinds of cases.  So there is very less possibility of doing anything wrong from expats.  We have an extreme stake to watch over. Besides that for us personally, it's just not possible that we could harm another person. My husband is a physician and I am a housewife and we have five children. We're kid people.

I am American and just moved to Saudi Arabia and had to submit my own medical, police reports, etc. They don't allow people with criminal histories into Saudi Arabia.  I mean at least they wouldn't have allowed us.  My husband works in one of the best hospitals in Saudi Arabia, and we live on a good compound. I am not of this culture here or from anywhere where it's normal to not give rights to people as the rule.  I mean, our prisons in the U.S. are filled up obviously so there are bad people out there. So I can't say nothing happens, but I am not one of those people who would do anything that would EVER land me in jail or in suspicion. I can't wrap my head around some of the cultural things here but it doesn't mean I don't overall enjoy my life here.  Besides the immoral aspect of harming someone,  logically, why would we do something that will put  us in jail? Who will take care of our own children? We're not ignorant thugs out there who don't know how to behave.

For a Muslim Filipino lady she'd really have a nice life here if there was someone who desired to leave her country for work, this would be the best place in my opinion for her.

We would be her caretakers similarly, as the sponsor provides housing, food, clothing, basic personal items, and airfare back to visit her own family.  Also, since we desire someone who is Muslim she would travel with us to our Holy sites. People come here illegally just to get that opportunity.   

Like I said, I really do understand what is involved. It's a two way concern. I am also very afraid.  I was going to sponsor a Filipino nurse the other day who was here and going back. She was going to take a reentry on my sponsorship.  Well, what happened was I met her a few times and she came to my house so I could really talk to her to get know her.  Well, all was perfect.  She wanted to be my housemaid because she was banned as a nurse because she couldn't pass her exams and her employer confirmed this. We met her employer. So everything seemed perfect.  BUT  before she was leaving she asked me to add her to her facebook account. Just as I did that she told me not to mind the .....provocative pictures. So I was quiet and later on I wanted to see what she was talking about and I am speechless. I don't even want to mention what they were.  So here some foreign ladies often do normal jobs to stay in this country and are great at them, but they OFTEN have a side business of you know what going on to earn extra money.  And that is exactly what that woman was doing.  My neighbor also had a filipino maid who was bringing men to their house while they were gone for a few days.  I am not saying it's a Filipino problem, but this happened.

So here I am freaking out about having a maid. I can't imagine having a prostitute maid taking care of our home and sometimes kids. So what is a person like me to do?  I have to have help at home. But how do I know who I can trust?

It's very difficult... you think someone's normal but bam there they are doing all that other stuff for money.

moved to the KSA forum

My friend put flyers up around her compound and got an excellent live-in maid who was working for some people who were about to leave KSA.  You can also check on expatriates.com.

The problem with 'importing' one is--and it's not like this happens all the time, but it's been known to--you pay all that money to bring them here (and it's expensive--I want to say around $3 thousand, but I could be wrong) and within days or weeks POOF .. they disappear.  They have contacts here and have arranged another employer who pays more (who can AFFORD to pay more since they didn't go through the initial expense).  I know several people this happened to.

This even happens when you go through an agency  so it's basically a crap shoot.

Good luck.

thank you so much for your help.  = )

Hi Mayams, I do understand your situation and I hope you understand me too. I just want to help someone from my side at the same time I can help you on your side. You can shoot me an email here for further discussion.

[email protected]

Thanks!

myyams wrote:

"I was going to sponsor a Filipino nurse the other day who was here and going back. She was going to take a reentry on my sponsorship.  Well, what happened was I met her a few times and she came to my house so I could really talk to her to get know her.  Well, all was perfect.  She wanted to be my housemaid because she was banned as a nurse because she couldn't pass her exams and her employer confirmed this. We met her employer. So everything seemed perfect. 
BUT  before she was leaving she asked me to add her to her facebook account. Just as I did that she told me not to mind the .....provocative pictures. So I was quiet and later on I wanted to see what she was talking about and I am speechless. I don't even want to mention what they were.  So here some foreign ladies often do normal jobs to stay in this country and are great at them, but they OFTEN have a side business of you know what going on to earn extra money.  And that is exactly what that woman was doing.  My neighbor also had a filipino maid who was bringing men to their house while they were gone for a few days.  I am not saying it's a Filipino problem, but this happened.

So here I am freaking out about having a maid. I can't imagine having a prostitute maid taking care of our home and sometimes kids. So what is a person like me to do?  I have to have help at home. But how do I know who I can trust?
It's very difficult... you think someone's normal but bam there they are doing all that other stuff for money.

Not just because somebody's posting sexy pictures of herself in Facebook means, she's a prostitute---and Not just because somebody's getting male visitors means she's a prostitute and earning money that way...
Such bigotry! maybe, she's just posing for some photographers as a model? maybe, it's her relative? did you ask them what they do? did you see them did what you're neighbor(s) were gossiping about? Shouldn't gossip and suspicion(s) are a taboo' in Islam?

At the end of the day...  it is up to me to decide what kind of behavior is appropriate or normal.There are details which you are unaware of and do not need to be aware of.  And do you even know what bigotry means?  A kafeel is responsible for whoever they sponsor. It is in my family's best interest to not hire a woman violating many saudi laws and who is not muslim when convenient and christian when convenient.    We do not hire women who ....open themselves up in this way. not a chance.

Yeah...and at the end of the day...rumors had spread about your neighbors' househelp.

Brought on by her own hands.  She was not permitted to bring....not one, not two, but multitudes of MEN into my friend's house while they were on vacation. SHE did it to herself.

House Maid Recruitment

Im working in an Utiliy power company with total salary of 11,000 Saudi Riyal and my profession is Engineer.

In case I apply for a housemaid

1. What is the requirement for bringing a maid? 
            2. What are the approximate fees required?
            3.What is the duration of the visa?
            4. What is the minimum salary to be paid to the house maid?
            5. As per the Saudi rules is their any objection in case I bring Indian maid?

Please advise. 
Syed
Riyadh

Hi Syed - you should maybe avoid copy pasting the same post on the Forum please :)