Getting residency in DR

Thanks for the information on Health Insurance, Can you guys give me some insight into how hard is getting residency in DR? I heard is a lot of paperwork to be done, it is done in DR or in the States?

Residencia is a bit complicated, time consuming but not that hard to do.  You need to gather documents from home and bring them with you,  they need to be translated and stamped at the nearest  Dominican Consulate office and then you bring them here.  Contact Wilson Rood  [email protected] for info on exactly what you need. He speaks English and spanish fluently and can help you. he is also a nice guy with decent pricing!

Thank you again for all!!!! I will be in touch.

Siempre!!!!

Hi chiwito,

A new topic has been created with your post on the Dominican Republic forum for better visibility and interaction.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Thanks Priscilla!!!!  You are awesome.

Thanks, I will be reading it since I will be working out my residency in DR. the next few (?) months.

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

Bob K

Hi, it's me again, sorry for all the questions lately.  I am still in the states and awaiting my U.S. Passport.  We plan to move to DR this summer to join my husband who just arrived and is a Dominican Citizen.  He ha sot been there for 35 years so he does not have any roots planted as of yet.  I was told it is better for me to start the visa process now before we actually move all of our stuff over to DR.  I can get most of the required documents done here however I am stumped on the Warranty required and also proof of solvency and that is where your advice comes in.  We will be living off of income we have here from the states which is guaranteed monthly and our bank accounts are also here in the states but we will eventually be moving accounts over once we get settled and decide on a place.  We will be staying with fiends for a couple of weeks until we rent.  Any suggestions on what to do or how to get this Warranty?

Thank you

You will not need that I  believe.  You are married to a Dominican citizen and thus it is almost automatic, there is no need to prove solvency or have the guarantor.  You can confirm by emailing Wilson Rood  [email protected]  he is an English and Spanish speaking lawyer that i work with extensively.

planner wrote:

You will not need that I  believe.  You are married to a Dominican citizen and thus it is almost automatic, there is no need to prove solvency or have the guarantor.  You can confirm by emailing Wilson Rood  [email protected]  he is an English and Spanish speaking lawyer that i work with extensively.

Have I told you how AWESOME you are.  You and Bob are FANTASTIC sources of information and have helped me tremendously.  I cannot thank you both enough.

Ahhhhh shucks you are very welcome.  Bob is a great guy and full of info!!  We are both happy to share what we know and what we have experienced!!!! 

In this case make sure to confirm all this!!!

planner wrote:

Ahhhhh shucks you are very welcome.  Bob is a great guy and full of info!!  We are both happy to share what we know and what we have experienced!!!! 

In this case make sure to confirm all this!!!

I just emailed him.  Thanks again.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mine are crossed for you!

Good luck

Bob K

I also have a lawyer in Santiago that we as well as our clients and friends use for residency issues and paperwork.  She is terrific.  If you want PM and I will send the details.
In fact we are going to see her Wednesday to renew or residency

Bob K

Hello from Canada!
My husband and I are planning on moving to dominican republic, and hope to realize this goal before year's end..
I've been browsing your forum for some time now and have decided to ask for alittle assistance if I may.
I hope someone can share their knowledge and experience with me.

Here are some of my thoughts/questions:

Is it possible to purchase property in dominican stay / live and at the same time apply for permanent residency through a lawyer there? ( I definately would not want to fly back and forth because of residency or lack of )

And, if that is possible, what documents would I need to prepare to bring with us?

what would we need to qualify for permanent residency?

does purchasing property also qualify for permanent residency?
how much property investment is considered sufficient?

We are not of retirement age (but getting there!) not considered 'retired' meaning age for pensions etc. but would have finances available.
What is considered sufficient finances and proof of?

Anything more you'd like to share, please do, much appreciated  :) thanks

For investor category you need to invest 250,000 US into real estate, corporation etc.

You can't go direct to permanent residency. First is temporary, which gets renewed and then you apply for permanent and even that gets renewed!!!

I will start a thread soon with all the requirements.

Yes, I understand re: residency renewals.., and for sure that would be a great idea to start a thread with all the requirements. I'm still lost!  In the meantime, I'll search this forum for more answers.

wxyz2b.  First off welcome to the forum there are lots of folks here with good information for you.  I will try to  answer some as were involved in realestate for a few year.
First off you need not to initiate the residency process in your "home" country.  You need to show some kind of solvency for your residency like owning real estate here, bank accounts here, bank accounts or stocks held else where.  Not really hard and your lawyer can help you with this.  Unless you are fluent in Spanish and know the "system" I would not attempt your residency on you own.  If you want PM me and I can give you information on a lawyer in Santiago who is terrific. We, our friends and our clients all have used her with great success and she will hold your hand the whole way.

Yes you can own real estate here with out your residency and many folks do.

Hope some of this helps.

Bob K

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the forums and doing my own research but I'm still unclear about aspects of residency and so I thought I'd ask. Firstly, I am married to a Dominican (separated but still married) do I get automatic residency or is there a different process for applying? The second query is about my daughter (Dominican father) does she get residency on the grounds of being half Dominican? A heads up would be great before I pay out for translations and legalisation. Thanks!

Sorry don't know the answer to either question.  You may have to consult a lawyer here.

Bob K

Thanks anyway Bob.

If you are separated but have a child together you can apply via residencia for your citizenship. Your child, if documented of Dominican parentage has the right to citizenship.

Bob is correct, get some legal advice. Many docs you need come from where you are born, others from here.

I can suggest Wilson Rood in Santo Domingo, you have to come to the capital to do this eventually. He speaks English and Spanish fluently [email protected] do more info.

Thanks planner,

I am getting the paperwork ready as we speak as have secured a job for August. This process is quite stressful! I didn't realise it would be so difficult. Any words of advice or tips would really help.

Thanks in advance!

Advice - watch all the timelines. Some docs expire faster then others.  When stressed drink rum and dance!!!!

It's all worth it!!!!

If I drank rum every time I got stressed there would be no way I could dance. I would be falling down all the time. :D

Bob K

Ahhhhh Bob some call that dancing..... LMAO  :D:D:D

I'm guessing that this is the biggest hurdle so hopefully it can only get easier. I know you (Bob and planner) have both recommended lawyers for the residency process but the school I will be working for have put me in touch with the lawyer that usually works for them. I have no idea what is reasonable price wise or how much the lawyer does vs my responsibilities. If you could shed some light on this that would be great.

I'm interested to hear from any English expats that have been through the residency process. Also anyone who has had to seek residency for their children as I cannot find clear or consistent information.

Thanks in advance!

I believe my lawyer's fees are about $1000US

Bob K

Thanks Bob - much appreciated!

You  need to find out exactly what the fees will be with the school's lawyer. And find out exactly what they do and you will be doing. Normally they will have negotiated a great rate but you need to ask and get it in writing. You need to know what fees and taxes this covers and what you need to pay out of pocket! 

What city will you be in???

Planner is right do NOTHING till you know the bottom line and what you are getting for your money.

Bob K

Hey guys, yes I will be sure to do that, thanks. I will be in Sosua which I'm really pleased about as I know a bit of the area.

Cool, Bob is the king there.......lol

Ok lol I'll have to track his highness down when I get there  ;)

Not hard to find :D

Bob K